Oceana cruise excursions

AndreaC

We are on Oceana in June departing from Genoa and my husband has tasked me with choosing our tours - which is fine because he knows i like planning -;) but I am having real difficulty in deciding whether we book before we go with P and O, or use other company/companies which some folk seem to recommend? We have not visited any of the lovely places on the itinerary before, so are keen to try to choose the top picks for newbies.... advice from those who have been before would be really appreciated! We are reasonably fit and don't mind walking .....:rolleyes:Thanks

I've just put a post on another thread about doing Florence as a DIY job, so you should be able to see that.

In Rome, we had an airport transfer with Bob's Limos which was very good and competitively priced, though obviously dearer than public transport but we did have all our cruise luggage with us, so that's my excuse. Bob's does tours (just a return trip or with a guide) with pick up at Civitavecchia, so they might offer an alternative for Rome. Like any other guides, though, have a look at feedback on other forums, etc.

I haven't been to Naples as a cruise destination and we are visiting Venice as a cruise destination this year. We'll definitely DIY that, though.

Tony

Hi there, I am doing a similar cruise, but have been to Rome before and I have done some research and asked relatives for their recommendations. My suggestions would be: Livorno - arrange a private trip to Pisa & Florence NICOLA SCOVENNA NCC company to share a Mercedes vehicle with max 8 persons. Costs about £52 upwards, depending on how many passengers, but seems that there are personalised tours and less walking as the smaller vehicle can access more inner streets in Florence.

Naples - we have been advised to get a train direct from Naples to Sorrento for only a few euros, get a map and do your own tour.

Rome - we have been before on a guided tour which was excellent, but next time we have been advised to get a train from Civitavecchia direct into Rome for a few euros then get a tour bus once there. Don't know if that will be easy or not, but our previous tour was 90 mins transfer each way, although an excellent tour and included entrance into the Colosseum, but that would cost about £60 plus per person.

Just my opinion, hope it helps.

When we did P&O before, we found that they close bookings for shore excursions 72 hours before the trip

That was our first cruise, and we weren't bothered about the trips so it wasn't an issue

But if any of your shore trips happen within the first 2-3 days of your cruise, and you want to do the ship excursion, then I would book before you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have always done DIY in Livorno, Rome and Naples, using their trains each time. Really easy options in all 3 and at a fraction of the costs. With perhaps the exception of Naples, the trains are punctual and clean (far better than our own in my opinion).

In Livorno we went to Pisa and then on to Lucca, both beautiful - really easy.

Rome - yes it is a bit of a journey by train to the City - but only around an hour depending to which station you get off. We got off nearest the Vatican then walked our way through all the major sites to the main Roma Termini station for our return journey (best place to get back on since the trains start from here so more chance of getting a seat)

Naples is a little more manic - tram to the train station (5 mins) then train to where ever - Sorrento /Pompeii. We opted for Herculaneum - around 15 mins where you can see the ruins or get taxi / buses up to Versuvius. As always you need to keep your wits about you - and we felt this especially the case in Naples.

Far more fun to be had when DIY than being herded around 'following the umbrella':rolleyes:

Enjoy !

Fig

I've been looking at the excursions for the cruise on Oceana from Venice in July. It appears that all excursions (even the short ones) start really early circa 8AM entailing a busy start to the day. There are a couple of trips that I would like to do, however convincing my husband about the early start will be difficult since it's supposed to be an holiday :). Think I will investigate more DIY options!

Hi

We prefer to do the ship's excursions so always go with whatever they are offering.

We did a great tour to Rome - Rome on your Own. You get dropped off at the Vatican and that is your pick up point. We had the whole day in Rome. We felt better because we knew that the tour would make sure we got back to the ship in time!

We planned our day so that, once we got dropped off we got a taxi to the Forum area.The taxis are just by the drop off point and it wasn't expensive. We had a look around the Forum and Coliseum ourselves and then walked back to the Vatican. We had a good hour there before we left.

A great day at our own pace.

We haven't done Naples with P&O but would recommend any tour that does Vesuvius and Pompeii. Sorrento is lovely but it takes a long time to get there and the roads can be busy. We have done a Pompeii transfer from a ship but that was ok because we had been before and knew where we were going at the site.

For Livorno we did a disaster of a tour to Florence and Pisa .... amidst a thunder storm of apocalyptic proportions! Am not a fan of Florence, but on a nice day the tour we did would have been nice I think !

Venice - take yourself - there is nothing like getting lost in the back streets of Venice.

You are visiting some great ports - enjoy ;-)

Edited by Presto2

Hi

We prefer to do the ship's excursions so always go with whatever they are offering.

We did a great tour to Rome - Rome on your Own. You get dropped off at the Vatican and that is your pick up point. We had the whole day in Rome. We felt better because we knew that the tour would make sure we got back to the ship in time!

We planned our day so that, once we got dropped off we got a taxi to the Forum area.The taxis are just by the drop off point and it wasn't expensive. We had a look around the Forum and Coliseum ourselves and then walked back to the Vatican. We had a good hour there before we left.

A great day at our own pace.

We haven't done Naples with P&O but would recommend any tour that does Vesuvius and Pompeii. Sorrento is lovely but it takes a long time to get there and the roads can be busy. We have done a Pompeii transfer from a ship but that was ok because we had been before and knew where we were going at the site.

For Livorno we did a disaster of a tour to Florence and Pisa .... amidst a thunder storm of apocalyptic proportions! Am not a fan of Florence, but on a nice day the tour we did would have been nice I think !

Venice - take yourself - there is nothing like getting lost in the back streets of Venice.

You are visiting some great ports - enjoy ;-)

Hi we are going on Azura in October and was wondering how much you paid for Rome on your own tour and the Florence and Pisa tour.

Also was there a reduction for children.

Thanks

Hi we are going on Azura in October and was wondering how much you paid for Rome on your own tour and the Florence and Pisa tour.

Also was there a reduction for children.

Thanks

Hi, on this year's cruise personaliser the Rome on your Own is coming out at

£43 per adult and £26 per child. Trips with a guide are £63 per adult.

Not sure about the Florence one. We did a whole day one which did Florence in the morning and Pisa in the afternoon. We paid for a meal as part of it.

Not sure what that would cost now - I'd say over £70 per adult but I could be wrong.

We did Rome on our own by train - very easy and cost us 12 euros return for the hour journey. Bargain:D

I can let you have the full details of our day out if you wish - may be of help. We saw everything we wanted and had a fab day. Got back in plenty of time. The clue was to have a very early start - before all the ships trips leave and we walked the whole way round Rome - we are reasonably fit late 50's

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the same cruise as you the week before. We are doing the florence on your own trip organised by P&O at £42.00 each. (we had a nightmare with train delays last time).

For naples we are just getting the ferry to Sorrento as it leaves virtually next door to the Ship. Last year in Naples we had a private tour of The Amalfi coast which was fantastic (about 70.00 each) through Aldoslimos. Would thoroughly recommend them. Amalfi coast is simply beautiful and you have to see it.

In rome we got the transfer from the boat to the port gates (they are obliged to get you out of harms way). As you get of the transfer bus there are coaches fighting for your business to get to Rome. We got one for 17 euros each return. Very well organised and would use again.

In venice we are just going to wander and find things ourself!

Hi, great to have the information from you, so many thanks.

I've read good reports of Aldolimos and have been in contact with them. They get excellent reviews and a full day tour, picked up from the dockside, straight off the ship, to Sorrento, Positano and along the Amalfi coast, takes about 7 hours in all. It costs 60 Euros, which is about £45 per person (max 7 per car), so sounds really good for a first visit to the area, without any effort on our part :).

I'm looking to do a similar small, private tour, from Livorno to Florence and Pisa, if anybody has any suggestions.

I have been in contact with Nicola Scovenna NCC private tours, but it seems they want groups of 8, to be arranged by the client, which is difficult. Works out about the same cost.

If you have already been to Sorrento (very busy place and views spoilt by pollution, in our opinion) would you consider going to the museum in Naples - we had such an interesting time there - so many exhibits from Pompeii etc. All the best stuff was brought there. It was fascinating. Only about 20 mins walk from where our ship docked, but you need to check on a map, and use a busy road. Felt quite safe. Had a great authentic pizza from the cafe opposite the museum afterwards.

Hi Regular Visitor, If you want to make a group of 8 try adding a thread to Roll Calls. We did this last year and formed a group, we then met up in a bar on board the day before the planned trip. Worked out really well.

Hi, so if we don't pre book a tour with P&O, would we be able to pick up a 'shared taxi tour' from the port or not? Its a minimum of £55 per person to pre book a private shared tour, but costs more if they don't get enough people booking and we don't want to pay any more than that. We're undecided whether to book with P&O or just take our chance on getting arranging a trip to Florence when we arrive. As you've been before, what would you suggest?

Thanks for all the useful info, it is really helpful when you haven't visited an area before to get a feel for where to go etc. So far have booked Venice walking tour with P and O. Will probably choose Herculaneum over Pompeii as it sounds less hectic for a first visit, and still deliberating over Rome :) but there is still plenty of time! Half the fun is in the planning for me:D and my husband is so good, he just leaves me to get on with it!

I really don't think I would enjoy Rome for a day since I don't like long transfers and if I did it myself I would worry for the whole time I was rushing around Rome about getting back before Oceana set sail. I think trying to cram everything into a limited timescale and worrying would spoil the experience for me. Accordingly Mr and Mrs Trip will be having a lazy afternoon on the beach in Tarquinia working on our tans through factor 30 sunblock :).

I really recommend Florence we were there last year during a driving tour of Tuscany, it was lovely. We won't be going again during our cruise since we have opted for a short Pisa trip since we missed this during our road tour.

In Naples I was drawn to the Versuvius wine and Villas tour, despite really wanting to go to Pompeii :)