New Questions about the QM2 Rehab

Lakesregion

Yesterday I received an email talking about the rehab. They have added a blurb about the Carinthia Lounge being a Breakfast and Lunch alternative but provide no details about is it free or an add on charge? What is it an alternative to -The buffet as it is adjacent or to the MDR?

Also buried at the end of the food upgrade paragraph is a comment about a new Smokehouse restaurant. What and where is this planned? Sounds like Cunard is trying to compete with multiple extra charge places like the mass market lines.

Anyone have any news about these things?

Here is Cunard's press release:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-culinary-experiences-to-debut-on-cunards-queen-mary-2-remastered-300257045.html

According to board member Brucemuzz, specialty restaurants never make a return on their investment. They are necessary because the traveling public demands alternatives to the dining room and the buffet.

I never heard of the "Smokehouse" in earlier announcements so maybe this is coming out of the current menu development? Perhaps it isn't a lowbrow term in the UK. "Grills" is Cunard's premium accommodation category but in the US a "grill" is something for outdoor patio cooking or your local "bar and grill". If it is for casual dining than the ones whining about jackets on embarkation day and if sport coats can pass for formal wear can have another place to go and not spoil formal night atmosphere for the rest of us.

Edited by BlueRiband

It sounds as if the Smokehouse will be one of the alternatives in the Kings Court.

It isn't a particularly low brow term in the UK, one of the newest and best reviewed restaurants in our local area is the Hangfire Smokehouse.

Amongst other changes to be made during the refit, the smokehouse was mentioned by Cunard in a presentation at the Seatrade Cruise Convention last March:

"...Also on the upgrade list is the Kings Court buffet, which will be vastly reconfigured into a more elegant setting with a much improved flow. Cunard is going to such great lengths as to even remove two central elevators and block off a former entrance to accommodate the serving of international cuisine, including a smokehouse alternative dining option...[emphasis mine]" -copied from http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/cunard-line-finalizes-queen-mary-2-details-with-flair.html

Based on the above, the smokehouse will be an alternative dining venue. My guess is that it have an additional charge as does the alternative dining venues in Kings Court currently. -S.

Here is Cunard's press release:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-culinary-experiences-to-debut-on-cunards-queen-mary-2-remastered-300257045.html

According to board member Brucemuzz, specialty restaurants never make a return on their investment. They are necessary because the traveling public demands alternatives to the dining room and the buffet.

I never heard of the "Smokehouse" in earlier announcements so maybe this is coming out of the current menu development? Perhaps it isn't a lowbrow term in the UK. "Grills" is Cunard's premium accommodation category but in the US a "grill" is something for outdoor patio cooking or your local "bar and grill". If it is for casual dining than the ones whining about jackets on embarkation day and if sport coats can pass for formal wear can have another place to go and not spoil formal night atmosphere for the rest of us.

but why so many people care about what others are wearing? :confused:

Hi Paulista. I can't speak for anyone else, but I appreciate that there is a dress code on board Cunard ships because it makes it easier for me to plan my outfits. Truthfully, I try my best to look presentable - neither over-the-top nor under it :)

I suspect that my fellow passengers have similar considerations. It's not a competition, just people from various backgrounds trying their best to be sociable and dress appropriately while having a good time.

Twelve voyages on QM2, and I never gave a care to how my tablemates were dressed. But I must say, there was never an occasion where I didn't think they looked lovely :)

Cheers,

Salacia

I think that there is some competition involved, mostly amongst women :rolleyes:, but I also love to dress up and I think it is just a matter of good taste to adapt to the beautiful environment of QM2.

Hi Mario

We are only going on our first cruise / crossing in two weeks.

We chose Cunard because we liked the idea of dressing up for evenings, it's not something we ever normally do but as we are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary it was appealing.

But!!

I understand why people may feel protective of the formal wear and respect that totally , however the way some opinions are expressed on this subject make me feel uncomfortable.

The dress wear is a personal choice and should not be commented on as superior social statements.

Hi Mario

We are only going on our first cruise / crossing in two weeks.

We chose Cunard because we liked the idea of dressing up for evenings, it's not something we ever normally do but as we are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary it was appealing.

But!!

I understand why people may feel protective of the formal wear and respect that totally , however the way some opinions are expressed on this subject make me feel uncomfortable.

The dress wear is a personal choice and should not be commented on as superior social statements.

Fortunately the angst and rudeness about evening wear seen here is never replicated on board, as people are just too busy having a good time.

Have a wonderful voyage.

M-AR

Hi Paulista. I can't speak for anyone else, but I appreciate that there is a dress code on board Cunard ships because it makes it easier for me to plan my outfits. Truthfully, I try my best to look presentable - neither over-the-top nor under it :)

I suspect that my fellow passengers have similar considerations. It's not a competition, just people from various backgrounds trying their best to be sociable and dress appropriately while having a good time.

Twelve voyages on QM2, and I never gave a care to how my tablemates were dressed. But I must say, there was never an occasion where I didn't think they looked lovely :)

Cheers,

Salacia

What a charming way of putting it. You also speak for me on this occasion.

M-AR

First of all let me tell you that I ALWAYS follow the dress code, but it doesn't bother me if others don't. Of course we are not talking here of somebody dining on t-shirts and flip-flop, but what's the big difference between a dark suit and a not-so-dark suit? :confused:

"I never gave a care to how my tablemates were dressed"

Good for you Salacia.

"there is some competition involved, mostly amongst women"

There certainlly is Cats2010

I agree with you DadTheBigKid, after all, as I said above, we are talking about very little "transgressions"

"On formal night, a table mate shows up in a sport coat over a polo. And I'm the one who's wrong to "care about it"? "

I don't think you're wrong BlueRiband, I just wonder why people care. There are probably many things that bother me and wouldn't bother you.

Without reading any further along to see what others have stated - Let me explain.

I and I believe most other Cunard passengers DO NOT travel inside a personal bubble. The entire atmosphere, the ship, the dining, the enrichment programs and yes the passengers and how they compote themselves and how they dress to FIT the ambiance of the ship all make up the total experience. This is particularly vital on TAs where there are no ports to divert ones attention.

As a land based example. Recently I decided as part of a four day three city trip to dine at one of Washington DC's historic hotels close to the White House. Other than dessert that was billed as a crème Brule but really was a mouse and made days in advance the food was outstanding. However, the dining room was unattractive. The wait staff tried to be my buddy, it had an open kitchen and I really do not care to hear about each cooks personal life or how good they are broiling a steak. The wine was under poured and the music a mix of Caribbean hip hop (?) was terrible for the surrounding. All of the napkins were stored in the dining area and a waiter worked on folding them about 6 feet from my table.Obviously it was not working as there were just 3 tables of customers at 7 pm. The $100 price, had it ALL worked together would have been fine. However, the experience was a shambles and I shan't be back.

That is why we demand as loyal Cunard Customers that the line maintain a high level of dress code and that the passengers adhere to it. The passenger consist of any ship can make or break the total experience, unless of course one travels within a personal bubble and never truly experiences the full value of an elegant cruise.

We think passengers complying with the requested dress code does make for a pleasant experience, but does it really cause us undue concern if some don't? Not really.

Several years ago we shared a Britannia Club table with a charming American couple, the lady was about 70ish, her husband was in his mid 90s. On formal evenings he wore a zipped up woolly cardigan, the other evenings he wore a short sleeve shirt, no tie, no jacket. Now did this offend us? Not one bit; he was very friendly, very funny, unfailingly polite to everyone and a wonderful dining companion.

We take people for who they are, hopefully polite, open, honest and friendly, their clothing is of secondary importance and while complying with the dress code is nice, there are far more important qualities.

we are not talking about anything extreme Lakesregion. Your example is the equivalent as if somebody would show up in shorts.

What it the only problem had been the dessert and everything else went ok?

At $100 for the dinner, it all works or it does not. No different than having a 100 piece orchestra with only a single instrument out of tune.

over the past 60 years I have watched society "let it go" one tiny bit at a time until we are where we are at today and in my opinion it is far from pretty. Hold fast to your standards or there eventually will be none and it all comes apart.

And my example is not one of shorts but of anything less that the full code and of course I would prefer formal on all sea days and never an evening without at least jacket and tie.

Edited by Lakesregion

Why does every thread turn into a discussion about dress code :confused:

OP I love your use of the word Rehab in the title rather than Refit. It has produced some rather amusing imagery in my mind - especially as the ship will have been in DRY Dock :D

OP I love your use of the word Rehab in the title rather than Refit. It has produced some rather amusing imagery in my mind - especially as the ship will have been in DRY Dock :D

More of two sides of the pond using the same language but speaking in different usages. Doubt many on this side of the pond would know what a refit was. we just rehab.

We have sailed with Cunard a few times and have enjoyed complying with the dress code. One time, however, we had spent weeks hiking in the UK, Coast to Coast, etc., and had so much hiking gear, we had no room for formal wear. On the formal nights we simply went to the Buffet for dinner and enjoyed the evening reading in our cabin. A very easy simple solution....why make it into such a huge problem?

Will any refit/rehab work be done in the cabins or just the dining venues?

Queen Mary 2 our iconic flagship will be remastered to deliver new levels of luxury early next summer, please visit http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/remastered/ for further information. Queen Mary 2 was previously refurbished in December 2011.

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following grades during dry dock:

All Grills Suites

All Britannia Club balconies on Deck 12

All Britannia Balconies on Deck 12, Deck 11 and Deck 8

All Britannia Obstructed Balconies on Deck 8

BU/BV Grades of Britannia Sheltered balconies on Deck 6

Queen Mary 2 will be refurbishing the following staterooms in service before her 2017 World Voyage:

Remaining BZ/BY Grades of Britannia Sheltered Balconies on Deck 6

All Britannia sheltered balconies on Deck 4 and Deck 5

All Britannia Ocean Views

All Britannia Atrium Views

All Britannia Insides

Please note that these dates are subject to change."

QUOTED FROM

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/fleet/refit_schedule

No mention there regarding the completion of the cabins on the proposed newly constructed cabins on Deck 13.

Edited by Salacia