Rostock-Berlin Rental Car..Have You Done It? Autobahn.

We have a cruise next summer and stopping in Warnemunde, June 2017.

What are the thoughts of renting a car their and driving to Berlin and back? Is Berlin easy to drive?

I have driven the Autobahn a couple years back for ED on our BMW so familiar with the high speeds. The route is A19 - A24 - B109, I am sure most segments are not speed restricted so averaging 100 mph is doable. Google maps says 2 hours and 20 minutes if thats the case it saves much time from the train and ship excursions.

What are the thoughts of renting a car their and driving to Berlin and back? Is Berlin easy to drive?

I have driven the Autobahn a couple years back for ED on our BMW so familiar with the high speeds. The route is A19 - A24 - B109, I am sure most segments are not speed restricted so averaging 100 mph is doable. Google maps says 2 hours and 20 minutes if thats the case it saves much time from the train and ship excursions.

You will love Berlin. I was there in August for 3 days, retracing steps of my earlier years living there. Everything was well signposted as we noticed on our hop on hop off tour. Wasnt long enough though.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

We drove from Rostock to Berlin in a VW wagon on the Autobahn and did about 220 kph (about 130mph) before the speed limits do kick in once approaching the outer limits of Berlin - yes there are limits near the cities ;) but then you've done the driving and so you know. The drive time sounds about right - Google probably doesn't suggest speeds (rightfully so) and I'm not - I wasn't driving and that was kind of fast! It was of course a morning drive, easy and pleasant.

We flew on to Paris from there so can't speak to the return trip but others have done it and posted here on the message board - suggest a word search of the board and also looking at Travelanni's posts - she lives in this area of Germany and quite helpful :)

Berlin is beyond amazing - it's worth the drive so long as you enjoy drives and in a BMW (or whatever, something comfortable) - well what's not to love? Have a great time.

Edited by Host Bonjour

We did it a few years ago, although we did not drive into downtown Berlin. Instead, I found a train station outside the city, parked there, and took the train in and out. Rental was right at the pier in Warnemunde, nice car and easy rental. Driving was easy. Only tiny problem was that we were there on a Sunday and train station had only automated ticket machines and no attendant. At the time we didn't have credit cards with chips and had to scrounge around to come up with euros to use in the machine. Once in Berlin, we took the local train (metro? underground?) system a couple stops to the first place we wanted to visit. Coming back, from another location, we hopped on one of the pedicabs available and the driver took us to the station we needed. It sounds complicated, but it isn't really, assuming you plot it out in advance as we did. Overall it was easy to do, worked well, and we had plenty of time in the city - we tired and decided to head back before we really had to. If you travel on a week day, however, I suppose you may run into more traffic than we did, especially as you approach Berlin. I think the car may have had free GPS, but I forget. We just went with maps from viamichelin.com and did fine to the outskirts of Berlin. See my pictures here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/baltic_cruise_&page=all

If you get into port early enough and on the right day, you may be able to take an express train to Berlin right from Warnemunde train station, which is a 10 minute (at most) walk. That option didn't work for us, as we were there on a Sunday.

Edited by roothy123