Considering upqgrading from JS to AT Suite - WWYD?

DH, DD (13), and I have been booked on the 4/16/17 Western on Allure in a JS for over a year. I've been checking the web site to see whether we might luck into a reasonably priced upgrade to a higher level suite. I noticed today that the price of a 1-bedroom Aquatheater suite is now about $2k more than the price we paid for a JS. With the current promotion, we would get a $100 OBC (no OBC currently). We would also get free Voom, so I could cancel the 2-device package I booked. I would also probably cancel the drink packages for DH and me since access to the suite lounge + our C&A freebies would make the package less of a "deal." We would also get free luggage valet (which we would have paid for). Our TA is running a promotion that would net us $215 additional in OBC as well as a free bottle of wine, 1 free dinner in the specialty restaurant of our choice (for 2), and a free spa treatment (which I wouldn't do otherwise).

So... Given this set of circumstances, would you upgrade??

Edited by LisaLisa87
grammar

I would. It is a great suite in a prime location. You would get all of the suite perks--including CK.

The refund for the drink package and wifi would make up most of the difference.

PS--you are not allowed to discuss particular TAs--just saying.:rolleyes:

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

If you are cancelling all of that stuff yes I'd do it. But only you can decide- if you booked a junior suite you are obviously okay with booking something more than the basic and spending that money. Have you minused out all of the costs you would cancel and adding in the OBC? I'm guessing actual cost would be around $700?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would. It is a great suite in a prime location. You would get all of the suite perks--including CK.

The refund for the drink package and wifi would make up most/all of the difference.

PS--you are not allowed to discuss particular TAs--just saying.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your response! We would still be ordering drinks outside of the lounge, so I estimated the savings at about $200.

Thank you for the reminder about mentioning specific TAs as well. I have edited my original response.

If you are cancelling all of that stuff yes I'd do it. But only you can decide- if you booked a junior suite you are obviously okay with booking something more than the basic and spending that money. Have you minused out all of the costs you would cancel and adding in the OBC? I'm guessing actual cost would be around $700?

I estimated that the AT suite would cost us about $1200 more in the end, after adding the additional OBC and subtracting all of the things we'd have to pay for with the JS. We are okay paying extra for more space and extra perks, but we're having a hard time deciding how much more.

What did you pay for the JS and what's the price of the ats? What deck is the ats on?

The JS was about $4700 and the AT Suite is about $6800. That's before any adjustments. The ATS we're interested in is on deck 11. It is larger and has a larger balcony than those on deck 12 or deck 14.

Keep in mind that there are 3 of us and that we're sailing over Easter week.

Edited by LisaLisa87

I would, but I'm not spending the money 😂

But seriously, it is an awesome suite. Plus you get CK and the full suite program, as others have mentioned.

What's your itinerary and have you been to any of those ports before? If it was a more interesting itinerary, I'd pocket the money and do some awesome excursions. Plus a JS isn't bad at all!

Would you be happy if you had the JS? it seem like you have everything worked out, with the drink package and VOOM already...

Sent from Tapatalk

The JS was about $4700 and the AT Suite is about $6800. That's before any adjustments. The ATS we're interested in is on deck 11. It is larger and has a larger balcony than those on deck 12 or deck 14.

Keep in mind that there are 3 of us and that we're sailing over Easter week.

We have stayed in 11 when it was classed as a gs. Wonderful cabin with a huge balcony. The one bathroom will have to be entered through the bedroom. I think those prices are high so you will have to decide if it's right for you. Having use of the SL and the CK all day is a nice perk. If you had any SR's booked you could cancel them and just use CK all week

Tip, if you get this cabin, make sure you set your luggage out in the main hall and not back in the alcove where the cabin door is on the last night

Edited by setsail

We splurged on a GS once on Oasis and it was terrific, a great experience with all the perks. We usually have a JS and are very happy in there at a considerable savings. It seems your out of pocket wouldn't be that much more, so I'd go for it! Plus, the upper deck privacy area will be nice with all the spring breakers onboard[emoji79]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would do it. Since you were buying internet, luggage valet and getting more OBC I also came out to about $1200 more than the js. Bigger room and bigger deck plus ck and suite lounge all day makes it a go. Also if you were buying a drink package you would save there by using the suite lounge for drink from 11am to 11pm.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Edited by frank808

I would, but I'm not spending the money

But seriously, it is an awesome suite. Plus you get CK and the full suite program, as others have mentioned.

What's your itinerary and have you been to any of those ports before? If it was a more interesting itinerary, I'd pocket the money and do some awesome excursions. Plus a JS isn't bad at all!

Would you be happy if you had the JS? it seem like you have everything worked out, with the drink package and VOOM already...

We had a JS on Brilliance this summer, and it was great. I know we'd be happy there, but the temptation to splurge is strong! The itinerary is Labadee, Falmouth, Cozumel. Of those, we've only been to Jamaica (not Falmouth). I'm actually happy that there are only 3 ports. That way we'll have lots of time to enjoy the ship. Thanks for your response!

We have stayed in 11 when it was classed as a gs. Wonderful cabin with a huge balcony. The one bathroom will have to be entered through the bedroom. I think those prices are high so you will have to decide if it's right for you. Having use of the SL and the CK all day is a nice perk. If you had any SR's booked you could cancel them and just use CK all week

Tip, if you get this cabin, make sure you set your luggage out in the main hall and not back in the alcove where the cabin door is on the last night

The prices do seem high, but the difference in price between the two categories is lower than I've seen it. Thank you for the tip about luggage placement!

Edited by LisaLisa87

We splurged on a GS once on Oasis and it was terrific, a great experience with all the perks. We usually have a JS and are very happy in there at a considerable savings. It seems your out of pocket wouldn't be that much more, so I'd go for it! Plus, the upper deck privacy area will be nice with all the spring breakers onboard.

Thanks for your response! So there is a suite sundeck on Allure? It's a bit hard to tell which ships offer which perks on RCCL's site.

I would do it. Since you were buying internet, luggage valet and getting more OBC I also came out to about $1200 more than the js. Bigger room and bigger deck plus ck and suite lounge all day makes it a go. Also if you were buying a drink package you would save there by using the suite lounge for drink from 11am to 11pm.

Thank you for chiming in! Can you get free drinks in the suite lounge all day? I was under the impression that was just for a few hours in the evening.

Edited by LisaLisa87

Do it.

The suite perks are so nice on the Oasis class ships and for that extra amount of money is nice. Also, each person gets their own internet code so all three of you can be logged in at the same time.

The suite sundeck is a nice area to relax. They have their own bathroom and bar upstair and they give you cold towels.

Your daughter will love all of the activities from your balcony including the sailaway party.

You don't have to worry about keeping up with reservations except the comedy club.

You can order movies on your television at no charge for your daughter.

Last but not least. You are walked off the ship all the way through customs. It literally took us 10 minutes from the ship to the taxi.

I could go on an on, I had the same issues when I upgraded for my first Oasis cruise, I have sailed in 2 Crown Lofts and 2 Grand Suites and will find it hard to go back to anything less.

I just checked your sailing and it looks as if you can get an L2 aft facing Crown Loft for the same price or a L1 ocean facing for 378 more.

Those rooms are spectacular and right on 17 where Coastal Kitchen is located.

I haven't stayed in your room, but had friends that did and it does have an odd layout and seems dark. The CL would be much roomier and it has the fabulous shower upstairs.

I would do it. I don' think $6800 is that high. Our daughters loved the balcony (we were in 11330). Be prepared, it is a ton of walking. The Crown Lofts are nice too but they will not have the same impact on your daughter, I am guessing. Avoiding the lines with dedicated lines is worth it to me. In October we were off the ship and through customs in 15 minutes.

I am booked in a JS in january on Allure and looked to change like you are. However, my JS was $3,000 and the ATS was the same price as you stated so the upgrade was just too much. FWIW if the upgrade was $1200 I would've upgraded as soon as I saw it :)

Do it.

The suite perks are so nice on the Oasis class ships and for that extra amount of money is nice. Also, each person gets their own internet code so all three of you can be logged in at the same time.

The suite sundeck is a nice area to relax. They have their own bathroom and bar upstair and they give you cold towels.

Your daughter will love all of the activities from your balcony including the sailaway party.

You don't have to worry about keeping up with reservations except the comedy club.

You can order movies on your television at no charge for your daughter.

Last but not least. You are walked off the ship all the way through customs. It literally took us 10 minutes from the ship to the taxi.

I could go on an on, I had the same issues when I upgraded for my first Oasis cruise, I have sailed in 2 Crown Lofts and 2 Grand Suites and will find it hard to go back to anything less.

Thank you for this! I'm trying to get a sense for all of the perks, whether they save us money or not. This is very helpful.

I just checked your sailing and it looks as if you can get an L2 aft facing Crown Loft for the same price or a L1 ocean facing for 378 more.

Those rooms are spectacular and right on 17 where Coastal Kitchen is located.

I haven't stayed in your room, but had friends that did and it does have an odd layout and seems dark. The CL would be much roomier and it has the fabulous shower upstairs.

I checked the Crown Lofts, too. I think I'd only be interested in a side-facing L1, and when I looked they were almost $800 more than the L2s for the 3 of us. I'll take another look when I get home from work!

I would do it. I don' think $6800 is that high. Our daughters loved the balcony (we were in 11330). Be prepared, it is a ton of walking. The Crown Lofts are nice too but they will not have the same impact on your daughter, I am guessing. Avoiding the lines with dedicated lines is worth it to me. In October we were off the ship and through customs in 15 minutes.

Thanks for your response. I think that either of these suites would be amazing, but I do love the idea of looking over the AT, and I think my daughter would as well! Being walked through customs sounds amazing.

I checked the Crown Lofts, too. I think I'd only be interested in a side-facing L1, and when I looked they were almost $800 more than the L2s for the 3 of us. I'll take another look when I get home from work!

For 3 honestly I would take the deck 11-12 ATS over a CLS. This does not apply to the deck 14 ATS, which has a lackluster balcony! I think the WOW factor of the massive deck is equal to the loft room. And the practicality is much better! Though $800 to upgrade to a CLS is a gift!!

I am booked in a JS in january on Allure and looked to change like you are. However, my JS was $3,000 and the ATS was the same price as you stated so the upgrade was just too much. FWIW if the upgrade was $1200 I would've upgraded as soon as I saw it :)

You got a good deal for your JS. I wish we had more flexibility in our dates, but our daughter is old enough now that it's tough to pull her out of school. If the actual price for the ATS had been $1200 more, I'd have switched in a heartbeat. We would definitely save some money with the free suite perks, but it's tough to determine exactly how much -- especially with regard to drinks.

Enjoy your cruise!