On the Crown: 28 Days in the S. Pacific and it Wasn't Bora Boraing

SailorJack

Loving your photos. Feel like we are there already. Our cruise will be this

October on the Crown. We will take Hiro's Moto excursion too. Paradise.

I am envious! Jill is hinting she wants to go again next year as this was her favorite cruise. I know you will enjoy it.

We are now at anchor in Bora Bora and the island appears to be just as lush as Moorea - with the jungle coming right down to the shoreline. The low hanging clouds hint that we will be having rain during our shore excursion.

16677665484_497b6756ed_b.jpg

We are alone in the harbor with the exception of a small sailing ship, which appears to be the Wind Spirit. As I recall, this is the first port in which there was another ship in port with us.

16677666224_71c6c2c696_b.jpg

The Bora-Bora photos bring back vivid memories - just about the time you took these first pictures, we were starting to get dressed for our day on Patrick's tour, when our toilet began overflowing. Mad scramble to move shoes, etc. from out of the water's path, calling for help - never did make the tour (couldn't even get into the bathroom to brush our teeth!). We hated to miss the tour, but we heard mixed reviews later - some enjoyed it in spite of the all day rain, others were cold and miserable. For us, staying onboard turned out to be a good thing - we checked email and had an offer on a condo we had been trying to sell for 6 months. With so few people onboard, email was actually almost speedy and we were able to get all the paperwork done.

While we enjoyed having Skywalkers almost to ourselves, watching the rain squalls come and go, we're looking forward to your pictures to see what we missed!

WAIT FOR IT...........

ITS COMING..........

BOO!

17103605757_6e81f2b432_b.jpg

17124819649_8971e82fc2_b.jpg

This is Bloody Mary's....a Bora Bora icon since 1979. It is a MUST VISIT place on the island. We visited it in the early morning when we were the first ones there for the day and came back later in the afternoon for drinks.

17285095876_ce3a68e38d_b.jpg

The Bora-Bora photos bring back vivid memories - just about the time you took these first pictures, we were starting to get dressed for our day on Patrick's tour, when our toilet began overflowing. Mad scramble to move shoes, etc. from out of the water's path, calling for help - never did make the tour (couldn't even get into the bathroom to brush our teeth!). We hated to miss the tour, but we heard mixed reviews later - some enjoyed it in spite of the all day rain, others were cold and miserable. For us, staying onboard turned out to be a good thing - we checked email and had an offer on a condo we had been trying to sell for 6 months. With so few people onboard, email was actually almost speedy and we were able to get all the paperwork done.

While we enjoyed having Skywalkers almost to ourselves, watching the rain squalls come and go, we're looking forward to your pictures to see what we missed!

So sorry to hear about your unfortunate event. To put a positive spin on it....now you have something to look forward to on a future cruise. We have friends who spend port days on the ship for the very reason that there are very few people and even fewer lines to cope with - so spending a day on a nearly empty ship has some advantages.

While we did have to cope with some rain showers, we never experienced any cold as our tour basically toured the island around the shoreline. Perhaps Patrick's tour went inland to higher elevations?

Edited by SailorJack

The entrance to Bloody Mary's is really quite impressive...a beautiful garden walkway. The entrance also has a sign listing some o the celebrities that have visited.

17113769987_114fee3edb_b.jpg

When I mentioned that Bloody Mary's was a "must visit" establishment, look at the personalities that have been here. I admit, there are some names I do not recognize, but I was impressed that Slash was here.:) As I recall, there was another list of attendees on the left side of the entrance also.

17320789581_9361c60ffe_b.jpg

Thanks for the laugh! :D

Great way to start the day!

You are Welcome! I had a little fun with that one.:) The mask was a centerpiece in one of the rooms in Bloody Mary's.

You certainly got our attention! I guess we will try for a drink (Bloody Mary) at Bloody Mary's! :eek:

I confess, I had not thought to do that. I had a much more mundane quaff. Lesson learned! Next time I, too, shall have the appropriate libation. :D

Jack

These last three shots are of the inside of Bloody Mary's. Soft white sand on the floor invites you to take off your shoes and wiggle your toes while drinking a nice cold one! It really has a convivial atmosphere and is a nice place to spend an hour or so after touring the island.

17331145091_6a8c2fddb2_b.jpg

17329653082_ed47b659dd_b.jpg

17305563386_9fa4de84dd_b.jpg

SailorJack -

We agree. In the past we've looked at the positive of repeating ports -- maybe walk around a bit and then enjoy a "pretend private" ship! :D

Some people go for he sail, some for the ports, but there are those that go just for the joy of being on the ship. At the risk of sounding flip, I think we go for all three. I remember one trip where we overnighted in Alexandria and nearly every passenger took the Cairo trip and spent the night there. We toured Alexandria and were the ONLY couple in the MDR for dinner. The maître'd sat with us and four waiters took care of our every need. A most exquisite meal! It was, indeed, a private ship for that evening.

So when we visit will we see Sailor Jack added to the list? ;)

LOL...that would be something...to see SailorJack up there with Danny Bonaduci!:D However, it really is interesting to see the number of celebrities who have visited this place.

Did you, by any chance, go into the Men's room?

I seem to remember people telling me there was something special to see in there but I , obviously, couldn't check it out. :p

I didn't. But your post reminded me off a comment someone on the ship made later that evening when he said it was the most original bathroom he had ever been in. I hadn't thought of it since then, but now I am intrigued. I guess it goes on the list for the next time we are on the island!:)

Is Bloody Mary's near the ship? Within walking distance before getting back on

board?

Thanks for all your information.

Bloody Mary's is quite a way from the ship and is not really wihin walking distance. We shared a cab with 2 other couples so the fare was only a few dollars each.

By the way, I like your screen name....either you have two adorable dogs (cats?) or a highly unusual octopus?:D

Jack

Loving your review. Thanks so much! This cruise is on my Bucket List. I hope to do this itinerary on Princes or Holland America. I am aware of you booking last minute, and I am wondering your thoughts on this, in retrospect. I am considering the same thing as we would be booking an inside or OV(at most). I would appreciate any thoughts you want to share. Thanks. Also, what category did you book and end up with? Were you satisfied with your location? ETA: The primary reason for last minute booking would be due to the POSSIBLE cost saving.

Marie

Edited by FlorenceItaly

Loving your review. Thanks so much! This cruise is on my Bucket List. I hope to do this itinerary on Princes or Holland America. I am aware of you booking last minute, and I am wondering your thoughts on this, in retrospect. I am considering the same thing as we would be booking an inside or OV(at most). I would appreciate any thoughts you want to share. Thanks. Also, what category did you book and end up with? Were you satisfied with your location? ETA: The primary reason for last minute booking would be due to the POSSIBLE cost saving.

Marie

Greeting Marie! My DW & I are booked on this years Crown Princess sailing on Oct 17. 2015. There is a very active Roll Call and Shutterfly site going. Check us out and see if we would be a match for you? :D

A lot of us have been following Sailor Jack's review and pictures. Wow, they just make us that more excited if that could be! :eek:

Looking forward to hearing from you and hope that you decide to join our "Crew on the Crown".

Greeting Marie! My DW & I are booked on this years Crown Princess sailing on Oct 17. 2015. There is a very active Roll Call and Shutterfly site going. Check us out and see if we would be a match for you? :D

A lot of us have been following Sailor Jack's review and pictures. Wow, they just make us that more excited if that could be! :eek:

Looking forward to hearing from you and hope that you decide to join our "Crew on the Crown".

Thank you for the invitation. Unfortunately, we have a commitment that prevents us from this years sailing. Who knows, perhaps, this will change, but, unlikely. We are looking at 2016 for this itinerary. Wishing you a wonderful cruise! I will be looking for YOUR review :).

Love the wood!

The wood furnishings ARE immaculate...all lacquer coated and clean as a whistle. The sand was freshly raked in the morning and the employees were pleasant and helpful. This really is a pretty classy place.

Edited by SailorJack