is it wise to book early?

Hoveto

I usually book as soon as the itineraries are announced. Agreed this give me the first choice of cabins, but I am now beginning to wonder if it makes more sense to wait a few months as then Cunard appear to offer quite a bit of additional onboard credit which more than covers any possible slight fare increase. Once upon a time the early booker got the best deal, but that doesn't appear to be the case today.What do most members think is the sensible/best approach - wait or book immediately?

If you work and have specific dates to work with (as I do) then there really isn't an option - you have to book early. If I was retired or had flexibility with dates then I would absolutely take a chance and book at the last minute especially for the less popular winter crossings. For my last TA they were selling off empty balcony cabins for $500 per person which is amazing value, that was down from the $1,200 per person rate that I had to pay.

Hi,

For what it's worth, I booked the QM2's seven-day Canada/New England cruise that departs on September 27, 2016 more than a year in advance (I booked this on the Queen Victoria in May 2015). Because this particular cruise is not offered by Cunard very often, it does not seem to be greatly discounted. I did not receive a good rate on the cruise, but I recently received a very generous stateroom upgrade.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

As has been said if you don't care where or when you go then wait for a good deal. Unless you want a specific cabin it could be worth waiting for a good "extra" offer such as OBC or free upgrade etc.

The best "extra" I got was the free drinks package, I would love that one to come back.

I usually book as soon as the itineraries are announced. Agreed this give me the first choice of cabins, but I am now beginning to wonder if it makes more sense to wait a few months as then Cunard appear to offer quite a bit of additional onboard credit which more than covers any possible slight fare increase. Once upon a time the early booker got the best deal, but that doesn't appear to be the case today.What do most members think is the sensible/best approach - wait or book immediately?

In my opinion I would say wait because it's not really worth it anymore to book early. This year on April 1,2016 I checked with Cunard concerning the October 11,2016 Eastbound crossing and the October 18,2016 Westbound crossing and I would do both crossings aboard the QM2. The fare I got from Cunard for both crossings and each crossing would be a separate booking. The grand total for both crossings including taxes, fees and port expenses turned out to be $3,645.12,Each crossing would be in a inside Britannia stateroom,$2,086.68 for the Eastbound crossing and $1,558.44 for the Westbound crossing and I decided to wait for the good possibility of waiting a few months to see if I could get a good discount from the fare quoted on April 1st. Well good things do come for people who wait. A few weeks ago on August 5th I checked with Cunard again for the October 11,2016 Eastbound crossing and the October 18,2016 Westbound crossing. Both crossings again would be a separate booking and in a inside Britannia stateroom in each crossing. For the October 11,2016 Eastbound crossing the fare is $1,466.68 and for the October 18,2016 Westbound crossing the fare is $1,177.57. So for both crossings the grand total is $2,644.25 including taxes, fees and port expenses. So a few weeks ago on August 5,2016 I booked both the October 11,2016 Eastbound crossing and the October 18,2016 Westbound crossing for $2,644.25 and saved $1,000.87 by waiting a little over 4 months to finally pay for the 2 crossings :) Regards,Jerry

Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

We have had good luck with very good offers right after the final pay date for a given cruise/crossing. Agreed, if you want a particular cabin then you best book early. We are ok booking Guarantees. In the "Olden Days" rates were simple, compared to the complicated algorithms used today, and the ships might sail half full. Today, especially the Carnival Corp brands, the goal is to fill the ship at any price and make up the difference in on board charges. I have had some unbelievably cheap offers for TAs this fall but am unable to take advantage of them due to family events. Maybe next year.:D:D

No it isnt best to book early we booked a Queens Grill suite on the very first day of brochure sale in April for a cruise next year. Told by Cunard and TA that you never get special offers or "deals" so with it being for special wedding anniversary booked it. Now found out that if I had waited and booked now price of suite has not increased and still loads of good availability and would now receive $1100 OBC instead of $460 that we were given. Not very happy and only book again with Cunard, if at all, on a last minute Saver fare.

Edited by majortom10

If your sailing dates are inflexible and you want to secure a specific stateroom then it makes sense to book early.

If you are looking to play pricing roulette and can accept that the price might instead go up or the ship sells out while you wait for a deal that might never happen, then book late. (One such case here.)

None of us are clairvoyant enough to know what will happen with prices in the near future. Cunard uses a pricing algorithm that automatically makes adjustments according to booking demand.

Right you are. Carnival Corp brands all seem to be right up there with airlines for ticketing "clarity". Just as an airliner can be full and all passengers have paid different fares, it is getting where no two cabins sell for the same. We have been "trained" to wait for the inevitable special offers to World Club members as sailing dates near. I would like a simpler, more consistent pricing formula but I seriously doubt they want to do that.:D

I booked the QE 5 night Big Band cruise departing August next year as soon as bookings opened. As its a cruise of less than seven nights no on board credit or parking is offered. Now Cunard is offering $150 per person onboard credit. So once again the early Booker has missed out.

I booked the QE 5 night Big Band cruise departing August next year as soon as bookings opened. As its a cruise of less than seven nights no on board credit or parking is offered. Now Cunard is offering $150 per person onboard credit. So once again the early Booker has missed out.

Then you have identified your booking strategy going forward.

So what do you do if you pull the trigger on the $150 OBC deal than two weeks later they offer $250? It's your time and money to spend as you see fit. But you could pass up on a deal as you hold out for a better one that never happens. Hope whatever you decide to do works out.