Q for the Seabourn Loyal - What do you think about Windstar's Approach?

LTC DAN, maybe I missed it but have you checked SeaDream? Sometimes, in their Special Offers page you can catch some real deals on sale. I know from friends in the "Biz" that they often have TA rates as well. Imho, they do the Caribbean better than anyone. Other itineraries vary as they are somewhat weather dependent. Whichever way you go, have fun.:D

Edited by Jim Avery

Thanks, Jim Avery. I hadn't even given them a thought. I'll check it out and throw them in the mix for our next Caribbean jaunt.

Thanks everyone for the give and take. It has been fun.

Eddie Mika (Maitre D') on the Legend, told me that Windstar had cut the wait staff in the MDR by half when the Spirit was delivered. He said that he could not even think about running the MDR with that level of staffing.

It doesn't appear as if the crew numbers have been cut that dramatically overall. I believe that the Seabourn Spirit carried a crew of 160 and the Windstar Sea Breeze has a crew of 140 (based on the Windstar website).

Of course if all the cuts were in the MDR, then that will definitely affect service.:eek:

But the pricing certainly looks good, especially if you don't drink a lot of alcohol.

And the intimacy of the little sisters can't be replicated easily.

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

LTCDan,

I hate to keep harping on this but I think it warrants mention that the only reason Windstar is more in your price range is because they offer interline rates which SB typically does not. For the general public, who do not have access to interline rates, Windstar's fares are comparable to SB's plus they are not all inclusive so you actually sometimes wind up paying more.

It doesn't appear as if the crew numbers have been cut that dramatically overall. I believe that the Seabourn Spirit carried a crew of 160 and the Windstar Sea Breeze has a crew of 140 (based on the Windstar website).

Of course if all the cuts were in the MDR, then that will definitely affect service.:eek:

But the pricing certainly looks good, especially if you don't drink a lot of alcohol.

And the intimacy of the little sisters can't be replicated easily.

I am speculating that the 20 less crew will come from Hotel Staff. Officers, Engineering, persons qualified for engine spaces, medical officer, deck crew required for vessel operations are largely determined by regulations. I suspect Seabourn already ran with the minimum number required in these areas. So, if, for instance, they drop 9 housekeeping, 9 wait staff, and 2 miscellaneous hotel staff, it would be pretty hard to be what Seabourn was. I suspect it will be more like a smallish HAL ship. Not all bad if the price is right.:D

LTCDan,

I hate to keep harping on this but I think it warrants mention that the only reason Windstar is more in your price range is because they offer interline rates which SB typically does not. For the general public, who do not have access to interline rates, Windstar's fares are comparable to SB's plus they are not all inclusive so you actually sometimes wind up paying more.

Spot on, Wripro. I can easily see why Windstar's normal fares seem out of whack. The little sisters, recently added to that fleet, are pretty expensive and not up to the same level of quality as Seabourn. I've noticed as the sailing date draws near they usually have to mark down prices quite a bit to fill up the cabins, whereas Seabourn can usually hold firm. More bang for the buck, and the customers notice that difference.

Another point that is often missed.

it is not the number of crew but the quality of the training that sets Seabourn staff way ahead of anything that Windstar will offer.

Attention to detail is the key to top notch business's

Another point that is often missed.

it is not the number of crew but the quality of the training that sets Seabourn staff way ahead of anything that Windstar will offer.

Attention to detail is the key to top notch business's

Good point. We don't know where the crew will be from but, if they follow industry norm, they will be from the Phillipines/Indonesia. Not knocking those countries as the crew from there we have met have been almost universally pleasant and are willing to do whatever they are told. The European crews we used to encounter were also almost universally pleasant but they rarely need to be told what to do.

It's appears that Windstar has made a major effort to fix the design flaws of the triplets. As consumers, the more luxury cruise options we have, the better off we are. My first choice is still Seabourn, but when their dates and itineraries don't work for me, it's great to have similar options.

Sorry can't change the title.

I read the blog of the number one producing agent for Seabourn who was on he inaugural early this month and the ship looks very nice. Some nice changes. Would I cruise on a line that is not all inclusive, no, but if one likes the hardware on the original triplets and the itineraries are attractive its a nice alternative. Of course the pricing will be less then Seabourn as the soft product will not be the same.

Edited by cruisr

LTCDan,

Seabourn defiantly offers interline ates. Since their capacity has decreased, not as much, but I can name at least two interline agencies they work with.

Edited by cruisr

Sorry can't change the title.

I read the blog of the number one producing agent for Seabourn who was on he inaugural early this month and the ship looks very nice. Some nice changes. Would I cruise on a line that is not all inclusive, no, but if one likes the hardware on the original triplets and the itineraries are attractive its a nice alternative. Of course the pricing will be less then Seabourn as the soft product will not be the same.

The person you're referring to is:

1. a TA (with his own vested interests, especially if the divorce is ongoing/cantankerous)

2. Banned from CC

3. Openly Loathes CC posters (he even left a facebook group for SB as a few old members didn't agree with his POV)

4. Spent more time commenting about what he did shoreside than cruise side for his last several cruise blogs eg: providing information that has zero to do with the cruise itself

IMO at the end of the day he should be writing about the cruise - not what massage parlor or yakitori-ya or vineyard he visited.

Edited by Emperor Norton