Which boat has the best rating on here

dulcemariamar

Lumping Celebrity Solstice in the same category as RCI Oasis is somewhat misleading. While both are much larger than what USED TO BE thought of as small or medium ships, they are not in the same class. Oasis, at over 5,000 passengers is among the largest (if not actually the largest), while Slostice, at less than 3,000 passengers, is certainly not anything more than today's mid-size.

Also, why do you think all ships are boats, while claiming that all boats are not ships?

I wasn't comparing ships. The op asked what ships get the highest ratings. I was only naming ships that are typically in the top 10 when CC releases their highest rated ships listings....such as the link provided earlier by caribsun that lists both Solstice Class and Oasis Class in the top 10 for large ships. Here it is again......

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Overall&sort=large

The ship/boat thing is a square/rectangle thing. Calling a ship a boat is not incorrect. Calling certain boats a ship would be incorrect.

Edited by Aquahound

The ship/boat thing is a square/rectangle thing. Calling a ship a boat is not incorrect. Calling certain boats a ship would be incorrect.

Not really: with the exception of submarines, which are called boats because they were seen as somewhat comparable to torpedo boats (weaponry being the factor) ---- boats are vessels capable of being lifted aboard, and carried upon, ships. The fact that they both float seems to confuse some people.

I was only naming ships that are typically in the top 10 when CC releases their highest rated ships listings....such as the link provided earlier by caribsun that lists both Solstice Class and Oasis Class in the top 10 for large ships. Here it is again......

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Overall&sort=large

I would not put too much reliance on that list - it counted Nieuw Amsterdam (2,104 passengers) as a "large ship", while including Disney's Wonder and Magic (each 2,713 passengers) as mid-sized.

I would not put too much reliance on that list - it counted Nieuw Amsterdam (2,104 passengers) as a "large ship", while including Disney's Wonder and Magic (each 2,713 passengers) as mid-sized.

I agree that all awards need to be taken into consideration, but there also does need to be a cut off point when a ship is in one classification or another.

The Nieuw Amsterdam is 86,000 gross tons

The Magic and Wonder are 83,000 gross tons

ex techie

Asking which ship is best is like asking which city is best to live.

Even the review percentages are misleading.

Case in point:

Pacific Princess has only 119 reviews with a 92% approval. It holds 680 passengers and has been sailing for 14 years. That's a very small percentage of reviews. The percentage means very little.

Not really: with the exception of submarines, which are called boats because they were seen as somewhat comparable to torpedo boats (weaponry being the factor) ---- boats are vessels capable of being lifted aboard, and carried upon, ships. The fact that they both float seems to confuse some people.

According to dictionary.com, we're both right, which actually supports my stance....all ships are boats but not all boats are ships. See #s 1, 3 and 4:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/boat?s=t