Rhine River Cruise

dprla

My wife and I are interested in taking a luxury river cruise in Germany in 2016. Any suggestions as to itinerary would be welcome for a trip of around 10 days. Need a spacious cabin, great food, etc. Also, I have to walk with a cane so suggestions of how to get around on tours would also be appreciated.

Can't help regarding your specific question.

However, I've been on these boards long enough to see a reoccurring theme.

Research best time of year to do this.

I see a major issue that surprises people is river levels. Either floods or droughts cause major disruptions cruising the rivers.

My wife and I are interested in taking a luxury river cruise in Germany in 2016. Any suggestions as to itinerary would be welcome for a trip of around 10 days. Need a spacious cabin, great food, etc. Also, I have to walk with a cane so suggestions of how to get around on tours would also be appreciated.

We do have a river cruising board here on Cruise Critic. That's a good place to start for research:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=191

Edited by Shmoo here

Several of the stops along the Rhine have steep climbs up into town, so you might consider renting a mobility scooter to help you get around/keep up with the group.

I had a suite on one river cruise and it's the only room I would consider reasonably sized, but I would not go so far as to call it spacious. Even so, I love river cruising and find the closer quarters a small price to pay for the experience.

Uniworld has the SS Antoinette, which has a 2 room suite which might meet your needs for space - there is a living room and separate bedroom. There are also several Junior Suites, but they are about the size of a balcony cabin on most large cruise ships - maybe a bit smaller. River cruise ships are small due to the fact that they have to squeeze through locks along the river. All tours (except 2) are included with your fare and they offer both a regular tour and a "gentle tour" which is a lot less walking and at a slower pace. The food on Uniworld is FANTASTIC and all inclusive and you get wine with dinner! (Cocktails are extra.) The food is appropriate for the area in which you are cruising. The cabins are elegant. Some ships offer an elevator (such as the SS Antoinette) others do not - so be sure to check about that. We did "Castles of the Rhine" and it was an absolutely spectacular cruise from start to finish. I cannot recommend it AND Uniworld highly enough.