the "Hill" at Mahogany Bay

crewsweeper

Some people have asked about the steepness if the hill leading to the independent operators outside MBCC.

Here are some pictures that can help you decide if it's navigatable for you. I did see some fairly hefty folks climbing but reasonably well. But wheelchairs and walkers were have slower goes inside the MBCC just getting from the pier.

Img_0118.jpg

Img_0124.jpg

Edited by crewsweeper

Some people have asked about the steepness if the hill leading to the independent operators outside MBCC.

Here are some pictures that can help you decide if it's navigatable for you. I did see some fairly hefty folks climbing but reasonably well. But wheelchairs and walkers were have slower goes inside the MBCC just getting from the pier.

Img_0118.jpg

Img_0124.jpg

John heald's blog says it's about 400 yards. Thanks carnival!!!:cool:

And you have to walk in the street with traffic? Nice of them.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy. When we made the trek, we just told ourselves how badly we needed the exercise after all the eating and drinking we had done that week, but thankfully, we are not physically challenged in any way. They could have at least put in sidewalks. And the silly thing is... they do let the outside venders in AFTER your excursion to drop you off right there at MB.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy. When we made the trek, we just told ourselves how badly we needed the exercise after all the eating and drinking we had done that week, but thankfully, we are not physically challenged in any way. They could have at least put in sidewalks. And the silly thing is... they do let the outside venders in AFTER your excursion to drop you off right there at MB.

Can half the party walk up and meet the tour and then drive down to pick up the rest?

And you have to walk in the street with traffic? Nice of them.

Well - you don't have to walk in the street at all. You can do what they designed it for you to do, which is take all of their excursions and use their overpriced taxis!!:p

It's not a hard walk, and there is really no traffic. it's not a street, but really an extended driveway, if you want to think of it that way...

It sure isn't an easy walk when carrying scuba gear, and I'm in shape. You have to walk down the pier, up the lower slope, through the shopping plaza, out onto the plaza, then up the hill. It's not fun.

Edited by Laurie S.

It sure isn't an easy walk when carrying scuba gear, and I'm in shape. You have to walk down the pier, up the lower slope, through the shopping plaza, out onto the plaza, then up the hill. It's not fun.

Your right here's a couple of videos of us making the trek.

I know that my husband and I can not physically make this walk. I have heard they do allow taxis down for handicapped people. Does this mean wheelchair only? We have Victor Bodden booked

I am also booked on a Victor Bodden tour in early February. I'm travelling with a friend who, while he has no trouble walking, can only walk short distances.... and the hill is of some concern for us. When I contacted Bodden he wrote back that they are not permitted into the port facility. We have arranged a short tour, maybe two three hours at most, including a lunch, and made it later in the morning to give us time to get off the ship and to the pick-up point.

So, I tried Princess, to see if one can arrange permission for a tour operator to come in to pick up a handicapped person. I received a reply that they cannot, but offered to have their tour operator on the island contact me regarding a private tour. I am going to stick with Bodden and see what happens. I assume we could always pay a few bucks to a taxi to take us up and over the hill... otherwise we'll just cancel and spend our day on the ship.

I know that my husband and I can not physically make this walk. I have heard they do allow taxis down for handicapped people. Does this mean wheelchair only? We have Victor Bodden booked

I am sure if you throw a $20 spot on one of the cab drivers, he'll take you up and down that hill.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you so much for the video. That is what I have been looking for. Great job.

No problem. The greatest thing about these new little HD hand held video cameras is that soon they'll be as popular as digital cameras. It won't be long till videos will be the norm instead of pics.

Michael.......

Your right here's a couple of videos of us making the trek.

Thanks once again. Appreciate you taking the time to post the videos. Definitely helped us make up our minds. Looks like a long walk from the ship but we decided to give it a try.

• 4 years later...

We were there 2 weeks ago. We walked up the steps to the left of the road. The videos don't show the steps. Once on top of the hill, you do have short walk down to the vendors. Going down you do walk on the side of the road for a short distance. (video 3) Hope this helps.:)

According to the email I received for our Victor Bodden tour, apparantly you can take a taxi for $2 pp if you need to:

The Port Manager of the Mahogany Bay Cruise Center has negotiated with the on-site Taxi Association to provide transportation, if required, to the Independent Tours meeting area over the hill. The negotiated flat-rate for this taxi service is $2 per person. Please see the Taxi Dispatcher (in the Green Mahogany Bay shirt) to arrange for your group to utilize this service -- tell them that you need the $2 per person transport to Victor Bodden Tours on the other side of the hill. Or, if you'd rather, you can still walk over the hill (approximately 350 yards) to the designated area.

We did this walk last week. We went through the parking lot once we exited the cruise shops and up the stairs (where all the rental cars are - everyone of them is white lol). This cut out the hill for the most part. There is a sidewalk up until you get to the top where the fence is.

• 1 year later...
This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing your videos. Really helps me picture it.

You realize that those videos are five years old and a lot of changes have been made since they were taken.