Dogs On Ships

janny444

thank you Mysticalmother for your answer ...was thinking it could be the start of something especially what I have read concerning dogs on American lines

Just to be clear, it is only QM2 that has kennels. Cunard ships, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth do not.

I have seen a TV clip recently about diabetic assistance dogs who prevent someone going into a coma. However, this can also be done by regular medical checks, so I do not see why the passenger could not be subject to much more regular testing when on board - possibly by a nurse rather than self done.

Finding this thread has concerned me a lot as I am asthmatic, so could have a reaction to a dog and I am also extremely frightened of them as I was attacked by one as a child. If I came across a dog on a cruise ship, I am not sure how would react. Owners regularly say their dog would not harm anyone, but they always seem to go for me - even coming towards me and certainly jumping up or licking me would be horrendous from my point of view. My husband has a theory that the dogs can sense my fear and so are much more likely to go for me, but what ever it is, I am sure I would be demanding to get off that boat!!!

If someone has to have a dog in a hotel room, I thought they had to use specific rooms that cannot be used for other guests unless they are thoroughly cleaned, so asthmatic reaction is not an issue.

How often can one expect to find a dog on board a ship? Sounds like the QM2 would be a definite no no for me!

Edited by tring

tring,... The Queen Mary 2, like her two predecessors ( the original QM & QE) have been carrying dogs (and cats) across the Atlantic since the day those ships were launched.

The dog 'kennels' onboard those transatlantic Liners were/are very much part of Cunard's Brand Image & Onboard Product.

Should you ever choose to travel QM2 , you'd certainly have nothing to worry about, as you'd never be in contact or even 'get to see the dogs'. It's only the pet owners who are permitted to visit the kennels deck area.

Edited by Bell Boy

I have seen a TV clip recently about diabetic assistance dogs who prevent someone going into a coma. However, this can also be done by regular medical checks, so I do not see why the passenger could not be subject to much more regular testing when on board - possibly by a nurse rather than self done.

Finding this thread has concerned me a lot as I am asthmatic, so could have a reaction to a dog and I am also extremely frightened of them as I was attacked by one as a child. If I came across a dog on a cruise ship, I am not sure how would react. Owners regularly say their dog would not harm anyone, but they always seem to go for me - even coming towards me and certainly jumping up or licking me would be horrendous from my point of view. My husband has a theory that the dogs can sense my fear and so are much more likely to go for me, but what ever it is, I am sure I would be demanding to get off that boat!!!

If someone has to have a dog in a hotel room, I thought they had to use specific rooms that cannot be used for other guests unless they are thoroughly cleaned, so asthmatic reaction is not an issue.

How often can one expect to find a dog on board a ship? Sounds like the QM2 would be a definite no no for me!

Hi in 10 years of cruising I have yet to see a single dog on a cruise ship..to give you an idea of numbers.

As posted QM2 the dogs are in kennels, so you would never see them.

As P an O only seem to allow proper assistance dogs, they are taught to be quiet and well behaved,. So should you come across one ever, it will not approach you, or lick you, or anything.

I have never seen a dog on board a cruise ship, only on ferries to ireland and France. If you should see a Guide Dog on board a ship, there is no way it would attack you. They are wonderfully trained and in a big ship environment, you would have more problem with asthma walking through the smoking section!!

I saw one service dog last year (possibly the year before) which I gave a wide berth as have a serious animal fur allergy. The problem with animal fur is that it's the dander (skin) that causes the asthmatic reaction and this can stick to carpets, walls, curtains, clothes..anything! In small concentrations in a large space it's usually fine but obviously you cannot see it so can come across it unwittingly. The smokers are at least visible and you can avoid the area.

Thankfully hasn't been an issue with the rarity of dogs on P&O, but I would think twice reading this thread about travelling on an American line !

I saw one service dog last year (possibly the year before) which I gave a wide berth as have a serious animal fur allergy. The problem with animal fur is that it's the dander (skin) that causes the asthmatic reaction and this can stick to carpets, walls, curtains, clothes..anything! In small concentrations in a large space it's usually fine but obviously you cannot see it so can come across it unwittingly. The smokers are at least visible and you can avoid the area.

Thankfully hasn't been an issue with the rarity of dogs on P&O, but I would think twice reading this thread about travelling on an American line !

I fully understand your alarm on reading this thread as I too have the same problem and generally manage to keep my distance from animals. I do fully understand the need for service dogs to be allowed on ship, my worry is if a dog had been in the cabin on the cruise before me. I don't think the amount of cleaning the stewards get chance to do before embarkation would be enough to prevent me having a problem. Having said that I have never seen a dog on a P & O ship so I am not going to lose any sleep over the remote chance of this occurring. I would just have to deal with it at the time.

I had to laugh at the dog growling and snarling as the next door people leant over the balcony. LOL Dog was just doing what he should do. No real service dog would do that though. I am surprised at Princess as the Americans are worse about their "allergies" than anyone.