Non stop Transatlantic !

jenny wren

I've just come across a Transatlantic cruise on Arcadia in November where the first stop is Antigua.....8 days at sea...never seen this before..... are P and O cutting out the mid Atlantic stops to save money or is there another reason? Thoughts please!:confused:

We were once delayed for two days in Southampton because of extreme weather then had 8 days at sea till we got to Antigua. We were really disappointed to miss out Madeira. However we have done 8 days at sea on a Cunard TA and if you're prepared, you get into a kind of a routine and just enjoy relaxing.

We've also got 8 days at sea from LA Coruna to Barbados on Ventura in January 2017. It's not so bad when you're heading to the Caribbean because the weather gets better every day

Oh yes we have sailed for 9 days once when it was too rough to dock at Funchal but that was unplanned.....this is a planned 8 days at sea which struck me as being unusual.

I actually love sea days but I think perhaps some will be pretty fed up with 8 continuous days at sea!!!!

I think it's unusual too, maybe they couldn't get in at Madeira. I have limited recollection of our sail back from the Caribbean but I think the previous post is right about slipping into a lazy (and over-indulgent) routine. Our upcoming cruise to the US has 6 sea days out and 5 back, I just know I will be climbing the walls on the way back.

I know what you mean. The weather is getting better on the westbound leg but on the Eastbound, not only is the weather deteriorating but your cruise is nearly over and you lose and hour every day.

Were you on the same cruise as me jenny? Oceana in 2014.

Not sure Tartanexile.....i seem to remember we did do the same cruise at one time.....we have done several T/As Ventura 2008, Oriana 2009, Oceana 2012, Oceana 2015 and recently on Oriana.......

To be quite honest I would rather they missed the Azores on the way back and kept Madeira or Tenerife or even one of the Spansh ports on the way out! I just wonder what the thinking is behind it perhaps there is an extra Caribbean port I don't know. :confused:

It looks like P&O are following many of the other lines and reducing the number of port stops on TAs. RCI have been doing that for a few years now. Back in 2011 we had many stops on an westbound TA, now you're lucky to get 3 stops. Can't help but think, less stops, less port fees, more onboard spend by a captive audience.

It looks like P&O are following many of the other lines and reducing the number of port stops on TAs. RCI have been doing that for a few years now. Back in 2011 we had many stops on an westbound TA, now you're lucky to get 3 stops. Can't help but think, less stops, less port fees, more onboard spend by a captive audience.

Peter for once (or twice) I think we agree !!!!

We have only done TA and stopped at the Azores there/back..but I can see the thinking. If the talks aren't that brilliant (and I don't think they are on pando now) after you have read a bit/slept a bit/eaten a bit...you hit the shops...

I wouldn't be hitting the shops. I've never seen such awful stuff and it's not just P&O :-(

Kind of agree with that. you either have the Jacob rick??? stuff that is stupidly expensive...or the other stuff that is cheap for a reason.

Millions of years ago we went on Aurora and I purchased a t...I call it a t but it is amazing quality. Still looks like the day I purchased it..lovely material..now though ...............

I think that 8 continuous days at sea will put alot of people off.....we recently had 6 days at sea and we heard several people moaning....another thought is how they are going to manage the guest entertainers, as they usually change over in Madeira or wherever the stop is.

It will be interesting to hear how that aspect is managed.