Today's the day, there's a first time for everything, for a P&O newbie

peteukmcr

dc6560ec55327eebeb1fc72ccc2323ed.jpg

Well the day has finally arrived, flew down to Southampton yesterday afternoon and checked into Jury's Inn. Not too bad, very busy with hen and stag parties and others staying overnight pre cruise.

f9a660c9c4230e5a16a4800e8e139f32.jpg

c85079a34630bb5b6db3ccf661745ddb.jpg

Ate at Chimichanga on Oxford Street, food good, service so so.

Awoke this morning to the sight of RCI Indpendence of the Seas from our bedroom window. Assume Azura is hiding behind the buildings in our line of sight.

Off for breakfast then a little shopping for the fizz to take onboard Azura for sail away.

Check out time from the hotel is 12:00 so then we have 3 hours to kill before our assigned check in time at the Mayflower terminal. Let's see how that goes, report to follow.

Edited by peteukmcr

Still waiting around but have seen the ship4cc2e242d5c83472a985d21a8e0295bd.jpg

Look hard and you can see Azura in the distance from our viewing point in Mayflower Park.

Now passing the time in 'The Dancing Man' bar which has at least 20 young guys in matching t shirts with Azura 2016 printed on them. I can only assume they are on a 'lads' weekend as they are enjoying themselves already! 899da4ab1ee63ee7bebbd275a57e5d8f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked in at 2:15. To be honest appeared quite chaotic and very little help for those who have never cruised P&O. To be honest one lady was quite rude when we commented that we weren't sure what to do or where to go. She said she was an expert but still only waved us towards the vague direction we needed to go.

2f0f0fa2348ebbbf45911e7af561a60b.jpg

The next lady moaned why we'd only been given 1 boarding card for 4 of us. I didn't know any better, but she still moaned as though it was our fault.

Edited by peteukmcr

We grabbed a bit of late lunch from the Venezia buffet and had a quick walk around the pool deck.

There is evidence of many many hen and stag parties on board.

f00350453181392f704e92f83f8ad8ea.jpg

0ef3239701d752656ad07d2070e5e06d.jpg

Our cabin neighbours are already blaring music out of a speaker which means our balcony is out of bounds and the music can be heard in our cabin. If it continues I will have report it to guest services as I am not prepared to be unable to relax on my balcony.

Many months ago I referred to this short sailing as a 'booze' cruise and was blasted by many P&O loyalists who said it will not be like that as that's not the type of people who sail on P&O. Well early impressions seem to bear out my view. Let's see [emoji1]

Muster should have been at 4pm but has been delayed due to check in issues as all passengers are not yet on board. We will be advised 15 mins before it is to be rescheduled. Still no word. This is wasting time because as we need to carry our life vests to muster, we really need to hang around the cabin so we can pick them up and take with us.

Edited by peteukmcr

I'm surprised you were told that it wouldn't be a booze cruise :eek: I have sailed 10 P&O cruises, one short one, and after that vowed nothing less than 7 days ever again! That is very much the impression that most regular cruisers I know have.

Really no need to wait in the cabin at all, the emergency siren is sounded, it is at that time you return to your room to collect your life jacket and then proceed to your muster station. A423 is midship, very easy to be either on deck, promenade or atrium.

Yes, you are required to take life jackets to the muster drill, you are asked to show you know how to put it on at the end of the drill.

As for the music, not acceptable, I would be dealing with that issue now, your neighbours may not be aware of the distress they are causing others, if they are in a party mood.

You have to take your life vest to Muster - is that standard on P&O?

Annie

Yes you do and to be honest it's chaos. Your card isn't scanned to 'tick' you off the list. It started 20 mins ago and still no announcements. Supposed to sail in 10 mins. Not impressed

Pete, I have just got off Azura this morning - remembering some of your previous points about wining and dining, I think you might like to check out the Glass House on Deck 7.... we tried it last week for the first time and loved it.

Edited by Scriv

Yes you do and to be honest it's chaos. Your card isn't scanned to 'tick' you off the list. It started 20 mins ago and still no announcements. Supposed to sail in 10 mins. Not impressed

I'd get off now why you can :p believe me, if you are unhappy before sailing, my one experience of a short cruise, means I don't think you are going to enjoy this at all. :eek:

Personally, I love Azura, I would have a bottle of Peller Ice Cuvée, ready in the Glass House for sail away, a table booked in Sindu for dinner tonight, and be grateful I wasn't at home preparing dinner, before watching BGT!

I did Celebrity last time. I don't think you took it with you but they did check if you had turned up by I think scanning your pass. They also read out a list of no shows at the end (just in case they had arrived and not been scanned)

I'm surprised you were told that it wouldn't be a booze cruise :eek: I have sailed 10 P&O cruises, one short one, and after that vowed nothing less than 7 days ever again! That is very much the impression that most regular cruisers I know have.

As for the music, not acceptable, I would be dealing with that issue now, your neighbours may not be aware of the distress they are causing others, if they are in a party mood.

Don't get me wrong, I knew it'd be a booze cruise, but as I said many P&O loyalists lambasted me for calling it that.

Our neighbours are also smoking in the balcony and throw cigarette ends off the ship. Needless to say they have been reported.

Wedding season is upon us and it's a Saturday sailing at what point did you not put 2&2 together, this cruise was made for the very reason, good luck :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I have said, I knew exactly what it would be like and that doesn't bother me. But my description offended many on this board as it appears my review is doing already as I knew it would so I'll sign off now before we set sail late and not bother anymore because obviously any criticism is seen as moaning. Good bye

You have to report the smoking of course, Pete and I would also complain about a racket next door......

But to make your experience enjoyable, do try out the Glass House and have a look at the Sindhu and also the Beach House - and also the Epicurean if you are after finer dining than in the MDR rather than suffer if the parties are a problem.

And have breakfast in the Peninsular or the Oriental restaurant too for a calmer experience.

Have a good trip.

Edited by Scriv

As I have said, I knew exactly what it would be like and that doesn't bother me. But my description offended many on this board as it appears my review is doing already as I knew it would so I'll sign off now before we set sail late and not bother anymore because obviously any criticism is seen as moaning. Good bye

Touché

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pete, I have just got off Azura this morning - remembering some of your previous points about wining and dining, I think you might like to check out the Glass House on Deck 7.... we tried it last week for the first time and loved it.

We also got off today and yes the Glasshouse is very good & our table companions went to Sindhu and raved about it.

It was our first time on Azura and thought the ship was fine (also the cruise excellent)

Oh dear. Not sure what to expect now. We are P& O newbies having been with Celebrity previously. Used to problem free check ins.

same here, out of Venice in 10 days, fingers crossed it will be Ok and not getting stressed about it.

Please don't worry it will be fine. P&O do what they do well, not my favourite cruise line, but one I am still very happy to sail on.

Issues tend to be more to do with fellow pax, rather than cruise lines.

Any cruise is what you make it, I enjoy sailing on Azura, I have another cruise booked on her in October.

The short cruises, are a good option if you want to see a particular ship before committing to a longer cruise. Or if you are celebrating, as they offer a good product at a good price, however, that in itself brings its own issues. it's not all bad, you just have to get into the spirit, or find a different area to enjoy :)