Today's the day, there's a first time for everything, for a P&O newbie

peteukmcr

I look forward to reading your more detailed review.

I have done short cruises and long cruises and some of the shorter ones have been more lively than others with groups of passengers celebrating various things and this has had an effect on the time taken to be served food and drinks.

My last 2 nighter was on Britannia earlier this year and although lots of people were partying on board it was more like a longer cruise and I put that down to not eating in the main dining room as I chose to eat in the Glasshouse and Epicurean for a change.

I am curious to know more about the "very limited choice on the menu" you mention in the dining room. The fairly new menus do have the starters and soups listed together now whereas before they were listed separately - but you can still have both if you wish.

I have seen the same main dining room menus on 2 nighters and longer cruises so they do not offer less choices on the shorter cruises.

Following your reviews as I will be a first time P&O cruisers in about 10 days .

I've persuaded my BIL to swap the freedom dining to set sitting time so that there is less stress and I was concerned about fitting it around show times if people wanted to go.

Peter you have confirmed my thoughts about freedom dining. To me there is too much movement, 'churn'

To us one of the pleasures of cruising is getting to know people around a table over time and also getting to know the staff. On a short cruise it is difficult anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Peter you have confirmed my thoughts about freedom dining. To me there is too much movement, 'churn'

To us one of the pleasures of cruising is getting to know people around a table over time and also getting to know the staff. On a short cruise it is difficult anyway.

Totally agree about getting to know people (although we normally eat alone but get to know the staff).

That is hard on a 2 nighter, but there was no interaction whatsoever from the staff, they sat you down, gave you the menu, followed by serving of bread, butter and water, then came back for your order. No explanation of the dishes, no recommendations or suggestion of alternatives (and there were definitely no alternatives on those printed menus, like a plain grilled chicken, fish or meat alternative).

Then the wine waiter would take your drinks order and deliver them fairly promptly.

The food was served promptly but there was no interaction, we tried, but nothing. Now, I put that down to the fact that they were running around at 10pm due to the failings of the 'Freedom' concept and were concentrating on making sure we were fed, bearing in mind that the Meridian should close at 9:30, but there were many people who came into the restaurant much later than us due to the long waits encountered by many of us.

On the first evening we joined the long line winding towards the atrium at 8:25, we were finally seated at 9:05, too long a wait for me, but probably OK for some. But we were told it was our fault by turning up with everyone else!

The second evening, we thought OK, we're probably going to have to wait, so we'll go earlier and joined the line at 8pm, to be told of a 35 min wait. This actually turned out to be a 50 minute wait and so ended up being seated after a longer wait than the 1st evening!

I did ask if they accepted reservations for Freedom dining to be told very sarcastically 'No sir, that's why it's called Freedom dining' with a tilt to the head which I also found very patronising.

Now I know the concept for Freedom dining is to turn up when you want like at many land based restaurants (don't forget this is how many lines market this option, so that you're not tied to rigid time including P&O), but even if you couldn't reserve a table in advance (you can on other lines) if you could on the day (this doesn't negate the option of 'Freedom' you just don't want to dine at the fixed times) I'm sure it would help the flow of diners and help the staff not be constantly running around which is what they were doing.

When we book our next P&O (yes, we will as I purchased a Future Cruise Certificate), I will first look closely at the fixed dining times. The reason we do 'Freedom' dining on other lines is that we have found that especially in the Caribbean the fixed time are far too early for us. For example on our last Southern Caribbean sailing in Feb this year, the early fixed dining was 5:30 pm and the later was 8pm, both far too early for us.

Following your reviews as I will be a first time P&O cruisers in about 10 days .

I've persuaded my BIL to swap the freedom dining to set sitting time so that there is less stress and I was concerned about fitting it around show times if people wanted to go.

Good idea, and this is what we will look at for our next P&O cruise (yes, there will be one I'm sure).

On the first evening the late show was at 10:45 and so we thought dining close to 8:30 would be OK, but were concerned when we weren't seated until 9:05, but we did make it, just!

Interesting that you have put your finger on a difference between freedom on a very short cruise and freedom on a longer one. There have been many comments about long queues at 5 to 5.30 for the doors opening at 6. Clearly on you cruise this did not happen and people were have ping drinks or going to the early show before eating.

I have always understood that if you turn up later to freedom you just went straight in.

Perhaps if people do not want to have this wait then the glasshouse or a pay restaurant would be better on a short cruise.

Although you had to wait was this in the queue of after getting a pager? Not sure I would have waiter long in the queue.

It's been interesting reading your comments re the 2 night cruise. We did a 2 nighter on RCI once and decided it would unfair to judge as other regulars on the same cruise were disappointed. It was okay, just to frenetic for me. Maybe an other time for longer on RCI, if the itinerary is right, which is how I usually pick a cruise.

The point about the waiters interacting at dinner is a fair point. We did 4 nights over New Year on Ventura, club dining (sister ship) and our waiters just seemed too busy and under pressure for explanations of menu or any interaction at all. Hopefully, on our 15 nighter down to the Caribbean in October, they will be able to provide the service they did so well before. I'm not being critical of the waiters by any means, decades ago I waited tables on for years myself, it's hard work. The food was served hot, timely and the orders were correct but boy! did they have to shift to do it! I felt for them. :(

Interesting that you have put your finger on a difference between freedom on a very short cruise and freedom on a longer one. There have been many comments about long queues at 5 to 5.30 for the doors opening at 6. Clearly on you cruise this did not happen and people were have ping drinks or going to the early show before eating.

I have always understood that if you turn up later to freedom you just went straight in.

Perhaps if people do not want to have this wait then the glasshouse or a pay restaurant would be better on a short cruise.

Although you had to wait was this in the queue of after getting a pager? Not sure I would have waiter long in the queue.

I think there were 2 issues here, (although there were people waiting for the dining room doors to open at 6 as I saw them waiting, but probably not as many as there would be normally), remember the muster drill was late (initially scheduled for 4 pm, but delayed until around 4:40pm and went on until at least 5pm, so sail away didn't happen until 5:30. I think this probably put everyone's clocks a little behind schedule for the whole evening.

So then my thoughts are that because there was so much delay on the first night, then people thought if they went earlier on the 2nd night (like we did) that the wait wouldn't be as long, but it turned out even longer.

I agree that the Glasshouse or another speciality restaurant would have been better, but we didn't book in advance as we thought Freedom would be OK. By the time we considered alternatives it was too late and as I said on the day the Sindhu was fully booked. Also we considered £120 for Epicurean for the 4 of us (why more expensive on a 2 night sailing I don't quite understand) too expensive. We did consider Sindhu, but again the price per person on a 2 night sailing is £25 as opposed to only £20 pp on a longer sailing.

We didn't have to wait in the queue but they didn't explain the range of the pager so we didn't stray too far.

Edited by peteukmcr

It's been interesting reading your comments re the 2 night cruise. We did a 2 nighter on RCI once and decided it would unfair to judge as other regulars on the same cruise were disappointed. It was okay, just to frenetic for me. Maybe an other time for longer on RCI, if the itinerary is right, which is how I usually pick a cruise.

The point about the waiters interacting at dinner is a fair point. We did 4 nights over New Year on Ventura, club dining (sister ship) and our waiters just seemed too busy and under pressure for explanations of menu or any interaction at all. Hopefully, on our 15 nighter down to the Caribbean in October, they will be able to provide the service they did so well before. I'm not being critical of the waiters by any means, decades ago I waited tables on for years myself, it's hard work. The food was served hot, timely and the orders were correct but boy! did they have to shift to do it! I felt for them. :(

I've done 2 nighters on RCI too, but perhaps because we know their process 'inside out' we know how it works, but we didn't experience the issues with 'Freedom' (My Time on RCI) that we did on this sailing.

Same as you say, I'm not critical of the wait staff at all, they did a fantastic job as far as I'm concerned considering the pressure they were under (I've also done this job too, not on a cruise ship, but a land based restaurant).

Hope I've made the right choice trying it for the first time on a 24 nighter. We tend to eat more in speciality and buffet but on a long cruise will also eat in MDR. Fingers crossed [emoji53]

Hope I've made the right choice trying it for the first time on a 24 nighter. We tend to eat more in speciality and buffet but on a long cruise will also eat in MDR. Fingers crossed [emoji53]

On a longer cruise I understand it soon settles down and is only a small problem if you are always looking for a table for two. Perhaps the first night is one to avoid.

On a longer cruise I understand it soon settles down and is only a small problem if you are always looking for a table for two. Perhaps the first night is one to avoid.

We have done Freedom Dining on P&O and Celebrity and always book select dining venue for the first night as it is always chaos in both cruise lines...

We found it fine Florry on a 12 nighter, as Dai said the first night was a bit hit and miss but it did settle down. When there was something we really wanted to see in the theatre we went to the Glasshouse. On the night we weren't bothered we went to the MDR about 7.15pm expecting our usual 15-20 min wait with a pager - and went straight in! :rolleyes:

Pete - we would take a pager up a floor to a bar - worked fine. Apparently it doesn't work in the cabins.

OK, so I think I've beaten the dining episodes to death and I'll leave it with the fact that I enjoyed the food, the service is attentive but a little strange as there is no interaction and no recommendations.

With regard to the buffet, I think the design of the food stations in Verona and Venezia terrible. The idea of trays is good until you get people who have forgotten something and are trying to pass down the line, there just isn't enough room.

The selection of food was OK, and I put that down to it being a very short sailing.

Oh I forgot to mention, there were green beans on all main dishes in the MDR at dinner! P&O must have first grabs at the crop!:D

The Grab and Go station on the pool deck was really good.

Bar Service - well yes, drinks initially appear less expensive than other lines in general, but that is for a standard UK measure of 25ml. Make it a 50ml as on a lot of other lines and it's more expensive as mixers on those lines are included. For example, a Jack Daniels on P&O is £3.50 for a 25ml measure, obviously £7 for a double, add a mixer of pepsi (small can) and that's £8 or approximately $11.80 which is far more than another line which charges around $8 plus 18% gratuity = $9.44.

Again cocktails such as Long Beach Iced Tea (P&O's version of a Long Island Iced Tea) are less expensive, but are not as large.

The one thing we did learn is that when I asked for 3 drinks with coca cola mixers, I expected a splash in each drink, not 3 separate bottles of coca cola at £2.65 when a mixer is advertised at £1 (as in my G&T) or a splash is 50p! So I paid £6.45 extra for that round of drinks. We soon learned when we read the small print! Lesson learnt.

However, I think wine by the bottle is a good buy, by the glass I think it very much depends what you drink, although prices are very similar to those in bars on land in the UK.

There was only 1 slight irritation, and that is the number of times you get asked if you needed a drink. In the Planet Bar especially, the servers are relentless, even if you have a drink in front of you! Not moaning, just an observation, I'd moan if I couldn't get a drink!:D

Edited by peteukmcr

Am so pleased it wasn't all a bad experience, Pete - it was very interesting to read your observations. And you looked very dashing on Black Tie Night.

I agree about the Grab and Go - it was the first time that I had experienced it and I was also impressed. I also tried the Pizza which was also excellent and ideal for when a very simple lunch is needed.

I tend to avoid the buffet full stop I'm afraid unless it is at a quiet time, as nothing at all against the food served in there, but the atmosphere and scrum for a table and battling with the tray as you describe is just not for me. We prefer to breakfast in the MDR and lunch in another venue. I also really dislike having to walk through the buffet to get anywhere too. We did manage to work out a way across the ship avoiding it lol.

Know what you mean about being constantly asked for a drink, but as you say, the alternative is far worse to contemplate. ;) In the past they have had a system where once you have said no and they have taken your glass away, they have put down a little coaster and left us alone.

Cheers for now

Edited by Scriv

Another funny incident happened. I awoke at around 4:30 am on our way to Zeebrugge to the sound of 'thud', 'thud', 'thud'. It was one of those sounds that once you heard it you couldn't get it out of your head. So I got up to investigate and it sounded as though it was coming from the balcony.

Upon opening the curtains, I saw one of the chairs rammed up against the balcony glass and the divider to the cabin next door banging against it due to the rocking of the sea. So, braving the elements, (it was a little chilly and windy out there) I tried to secure the divider, but of course I don't carry spare allen keys with me or ideally the keys you see train guards using to lock the doors!:D

I succeeded in wedging the divider in place with the chair and hoped it would stay in place until I could report it in the morning.

All I could assume was that the staff had opened it up to clean the cabins as I've seen them do on other ships, but forgot to lock it. Or someone else did have an allen key and opened it previously without telling the ships staff and forgot to lock it.

The offending divider is the one behind the chair in this photo.

e5ae4adc2c2010955495039105183294.jpg

Although I was going to mention it to our cabin steward after breakfast, I didn't get chance as he'd already cleaned our cabin, so I called reception and they said they'd send someone to sort it out.

We go off to Bruges for the day and when we got back and had lunch I thought I'd check it was locked (didn't want another thud in the night!). No, it wasn't locked so I went to reception and the gentleman was apologetic that it hadn't been sorted as he could see I'd called around 8 am.

Just as he promised someone called 15 minutes later but couldn't work out what was the matter, so I demonstrated what needed to be done by turning the lock with and allen key. Hey presto, by using one of her ordinary keys (she didn't have an allen key) she got it to lock.

More importantly I didn't want it unlocked because it was the divider between us and the cabin where they smoked on the balcony and had played very loud music. On that note, BTW after I reported the smoking, before leaving for muster we could hear loud conversations in the hallway outside their cabin, and as we left for muster there were several staff, including security heading towards their cabin. As we didn't hear one sound or notice smoking during the rest of the sailing, I can only assume strong words were said to the occupants.

Edited by peteukmcr

More importantly I didn't want it unlocked because it was the divider between us and the cabin where they smoked on the balcony and had played very loud music. On that note, BTW after I reported the smoking, before leaving for muster we could hear loud conversations in the hallway outside their cabin, and as we left for muster there were several staff, including security heading towards their cabin. As we didn't hear one sound or notice smoking during the rest of the sailing, I can only assume strong words were said to the occupants.

You never know, perhaps they were given their marching orders if they had been stupid enough to argue.

We had the same problem with the door, the end of a teaspoon fitted, and all was well!
Never thought of that, I'll remember that for next time in case it happens! Although I know how you can get a cork out of a wine bottle with your car key, but that's another story!

You never know, perhaps they were given their marching orders if they had been stupid enough to argue.
I thought that, but they disembarked in front of us on Monday, so unless they moved cabins, they were still on board. I actually think the culprits were some of their visitors as they had lots of people in there on boarding day, obviously celebrating some event. Edited by peteukmcr

I'm sure you will be fine.

Longer cruise have an entirely different ethos.

Edited by Solent Richard

We grabbed a bit of late lunch from the Venezia buffet and had a quick walk around the pool deck.

There is evidence of many many hen and stag parties on board.

f00350453181392f704e92f83f8ad8ea.jpg

0ef3239701d752656ad07d2070e5e06d.jpg

Our cabin neighbours are already blaring music out of a speaker which means our balcony is out of bounds and the music can be heard in our cabin. If it continues I will have report it to guest services as I am not prepared to be unable to relax on my balcony.

Many months ago I referred to this short sailing as a 'booze' cruise and was blasted by many P&O loyalists who said it will not be like that as that's not the type of people who sail on P&O. Well early impressions seem to bear out my view. Let's see [emoji1]

Muster should have been at 4pm but has been delayed due to check in issues as all passengers are not yet on board. We will be advised 15 mins before it is to be rescheduled. Still no word. This is wasting time because as we need to carry our life vests to muster, we really need to hang around the cabin so we can pick them up and take with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the terminology used by the cruise lines is that they are 'cash cows'.

There was only 1 slight irritation, and that is the number of times you get asked if you needed a drink. In the Planet Bar especially, the servers are relentless, even if you have a drink in front of you! Not moaning, just an observation, I'd moan if I couldn't get a drink!:D

We had a similar experience on Britannia during our 14-night Christmas cruise. Quite often we went to Brodie's after dinner because DD liked the quizzes at around 9.00. It was not uncommon to be asked 4 or 5 times within the space of a few minutes and even stating "No, we've just had dinner thanks, but we'll order one later" didn't make a difference. One night we were asked 11 (yes we counted!) times within the space of 15 minutes!!

As many of you are aware, I was very vocal in my view that on a 2 night sailing where there was a Black Tie event, that it was ridiculous on such a short cruise, but I went with it (as shown above) as I wanted to enjoy the many venues available and not be restricted to the buffet and Brodies pub.

What I was disappointed to witness, (taking this strict dress policy into account) was someone being allowed access to the Meridian dining room on Black Tie night in an open necked shirt, no jacket and very casual trousers.

However, I did see the door host did give him a jacket and I clearly overheard that he was advised that he only had to carry it, but he did not have to wear it! What's the point in that when the rest of us had adhered to the dress code?

Also there were many rumours that after 11pm the dress code no longer applied and you could go into any venue in casual attire. We didn't chance it and went into Brodies in smart casual. However, my BIL and SIL went to the Planet Bar and saw people dressed extremely casually in jeans.

Now, the only reason I could see this being allowed, is that as this was the last night of the sailing, then as your bags needed to be outside your cabin by midnight, P&O allowed this change in policy as many may want to pack their formal attire away in the bags they wanted collecting.

Yes, that would annoy me too, Pete....

They seem to have changed their policy on what night the Formal Night falls on a 2 nighter. I did three of these last year ( as I live very near Southampton) and they were all on the first night, but now they seem to be on the second night. Maybe because of the first evening risking being disrupted if there are delays in sail away and the luggage not getting through? Who knows..

Not as many people put out their cases on a 2 night cruise so maybe that works out better for most pax.

By the way, I am not a habitual hen-party-goer lol.

Edited by Scriv