Today's the day, there's a first time for everything, for a P&O newbie

peteukmcr

With regard to cleanliness and the need to make sure as many precautions as possible are taken to reduce the chance of sickness on board, I was pleased to see many 'gel' stations which I could easily use.

However, I didn't see use being enforced by staff as much as I would like to see. Maybe I missed it, but at entry to Meridian staff were definitely not asking diners to use it. At the entrance to the buffet lines, although there are staff giving out trays and cutlery, and one of the gel dispensers are in line of sight, there are none at other entrances.

I did notice that many of the gents toilets had the entrance doors permanently wedged open so you didn't have to use your hands on the door handles.

On the topic of public toilets, we were a little frustrated on the day of disembarkation after vacating our cabins by 8:00 am as requested, that after breakfast we could not find a public bathroom close to the buffet on deck 15 that wasn't either 'out of order' or 'closed for cleaning'. On separate occasions 3 of our party went on the hunt for a bathroom. My partner found one on deck 6, I finally found one on deck 7 forward (opposite end to the buffet past the Glasshouse!). We even combed the pool deck, but no, 'out of order' ruled the day, honestly. I went down the stairs from deck 15 to all public decks and each and every public bathroom was closed.

Now, I know they need cleaning but as all passengers are expected to be off the ship by 9:45 am, and new passengers aren't normally on board until 1pm, I would have hoped (as passengers no longer have access to their cabin bathrooms) that the bathrooms could be cleaned after all passengers had disembarked.

Edited by peteukmcr

I thought long and hard about your comments before commenting myself. I would point out all your comments and maybe my replies.

My Checkin appeared quite chaotic. One lady very rude. Next lady moaned as though it was your fault having only one boarding card. We have never been given one boarding card per person.

Cabin neighbours blaring music etc. And you were quite right complaining.

Muster delayed. If you had been delayed for any reason would you want them to carry on without you. Go with the flow, enjoy the time exploring the ship and go back to cabin and collect life vests when required.

Muster chaos because your card isn't scanned to tick you off the list. There is no intimation that this is required. Maybe it happens on other lines but not p &'o and all instructions are given Well in advance of what is required.

Unhappy that you were blasted for calling it a booze cruise when you intimated that it would be. Probably for the hen and stag parties but not for everyone and you can always choose to be in different areas. There are always quiet places

Neighbours smoking. Glad you reported them

Asked to leave planet bar because you were wearing shorts after 6 pm. Sorry but as you seem to know so much about p & o rules you should have been aware of this one.

Shambolic check in and muster process . Getting around the ship needs a little work and doesn't flow too well but you have paid a deposit for,another cruise. What were the positives

Diabolical dinner experience, rude staff and rip offs in bar.

Glass house looks tatty and worn, sorry but that's my experience!!

11. Meridian door host and member of staff on reception were rude and very dismissive!!

We Have never encountered a rude member of staff but many rude passengers.

12. Glass house isn't tatty but planet bar chairs definitely are !!

What changed your mind about glasshouse and are you really checking out the chairs

13. At least P & O sent coaches to Bruges railway station to assist with the problem. But then this didn't affect you as you had already left but others had not but the result of the delay caused the great British sailaway to be rained off. P & O fault weather wise ??

14. Freedom dining was shambles and utter mess

15. Totally agree about getting to know people (but we normally eat alone) ??? but get to know staff. Sounds as though staff were rushed off their feet serving never mind chatting. How often do you expect conversation between restaurant staff at home

16. Reservations for freedom dining ? no sir that's why it is called freedom dining - quite appropriate in my view

17. Set sitting you could be sitting with lovely people or not so lovely people. It is your choice. We prefer to eat alone like you

18. Design of Verona and Venezia buffets terrible. Drinks not as cheap on P & O after all as other ships give you better deals. Wine is a good deal +++. Being asked if you want another drink is only an irritation and not a moan

19. Your problems with black tie event. One person being given a jacket. On our first P & O cruise we didn't realise you needed a jacket on certain nights and we were turned away. Fair enough to keep to rules but perhaps as this was a two night cruise they didn't want to ruin the man's cruise. Did this happen to many more people

All in all you have also made positive comments and at times you did seem to enjoy yourself and you did look very dashing In your photo but on a two day cruise and over twenty long comments I would say you perhaps spent your cruise looking for negatives to prove your points. Still I hope you do enjoy your next P & O cruise

With regard to cleanliness and the need to make sure as many precautions as possible are taken to reduce the chance of sickness on board, I was pleased to see many 'gel' stations which I could easily use.

However, I didn't see use being enforced by staff as much as I would like to see. Maybe I missed it, but at entry to Meridian staff were definitely not asking diners to use it. At the entrance to the buffet lines, although there are staff giving out trays and cutlery, and one of the gel dispensers are in line of sight, there are none at other entrances.

I did notice that many of the gents toilets had the entrance doors permanently wedged open so you didn't have to use your hands on the door handles.

On the topic of public toilets, we were a little frustrated on the day of disembarkation after vacating our cabins by 8:00 am as requested, that after breakfast we could not find a public bathroom close to the buffet on deck 15 that wasn't either 'out of order' or 'closed for cleaning'. On separate occasions 3 of our party went on the hunt for a bathroom. My partner found one on deck 6, I finally found one on deck 7 forward (opposite end to the buffet past the Glasshouse!). We even combed the pool deck, but no, 'out of order' ruled the day, honestly. I went down the stairs from deck 15 to all public decks and each and every public bathroom was closed.

Now, I know they need cleaning but as all passengers are expected to be off the ship by 9:45 am, and new passengers aren't normally on board until 1pm, I would have hoped (as passengers no longer have access to their cabin bathrooms) that the bathrooms could be cleaned after all passengers had disembarked.

I've noticed the public loos being unavailable when trying to disembark too, my thoughts are that people getting off don't care and shove anything they can down them. I don't have proof but it happens too often to be a coincidence. Not just P&O either.

Edited by CCFC

I thought long and hard about your comments before commenting myself. I would point out all your comments and maybe my replies.

My Checkin appeared quite chaotic. One lady very rude. Next lady moaned as though it was your fault having only one boarding card. We have never been given one boarding card per person. I assume this is your reply, my point is that we were given 1 card for 4 people which is what she didn't like

Cabin neighbours blaring music etc. And you were quite right complaining.

Muster delayed. If you had been delayed for any reason would you want them to carry on without you. Go with the flow, enjoy the time exploring the ship and go back to cabin and collect life vests when required.

Muster chaos because your card isn't scanned to tick you off the list. There is no intimation that this is required. Maybe it happens on other lines but not p &'o and all instructions are given Well in advance of what is required. well as I say my view doesn't agree with yours and not counting people and ticking them off a list doesn't prove everyone attended, that's my view

Unhappy that you were blasted for calling it a booze cruise when you intimated that it would be. Probably for the hen and stag parties but not for everyone and you can always choose to be in different areas. There are always quiet places Read my feedback! I wasn't complaining about it being a booze cruise, others on this board criticised me for calling it that

Neighbours smoking. Glad you reported them

Asked to leave planet bar because you were wearing shorts after 6 pm. Sorry but as you seem to know so much about p & o rules you should have been aware of this one. well it wasn't clear but I wasn't bothered as I said, you have conveniently missed that bit out

Shambolic check in and muster process . Getting around the ship needs a little work and doesn't flow too well but you have paid a deposit for,another cruise. What were the positives I mentioned those, go back and read

Diabolical dinner experience, rude staff and rip offs in bar.

Glass house looks tatty and worn, sorry but that's my experience!!

11. Meridian door host and member of staff on reception were rude and very dismissive!!

We Have never encountered a rude member of staff but many rude passengers.are you implying I'm rude? You may not have, but I did

12. Glass house isn't tatty but planet bar chairs definitely are !!

What changed your mind about glasshouse and are you really checking out the chairs as I stated later if you bothered to read, I got the bar wrong and yes I check out the quality of the furnishings, that's my prerogative

13. At least P & O sent coaches to Bruges railway station to assist with the problem. But then this didn't affect you as you had already left but others had not but the result of the delay caused the great British sailaway to be rained off. P & O fault weather wise ??i NEVER said the weather was P&O fault

14. Freedom dining was shambles and utter mess it was

15. Totally agree about getting to know people (but we normally eat alone) ??? but get to know staff. Sounds as though staff were rushed off their feet serving never mind chatting. How often do you expect conversation between restaurant staff at home far more often than on this cruise, I was always expected as a waiter to check if everything was OK, these did not, but again you have conveniently left out my comments that I said it could be because they were so busy

16. Reservations for freedom dining ? no sir that's why it is called freedom dining - quite appropriate in my view thats not mine if you would care to quote my reasons for believing a certain amount of advance reservations may help, but hey you conveniently left that out

17. Set sitting you could be sitting with lovely people or not so lovely people. It is your choice. We prefer to eat alone like you

18. Design of Verona and Venezia buffets terrible. Drinks not as cheap on P & O after all as other ships give you better deals. Wine is a good deal +++. Being asked if you want another drink is only an irritation and not a moanand what is wrong with my comments?

19. Your problems with black tie event. One person being given a jacket. On our first P & O cruise we didn't realise you needed a jacket on certain nights and we were turned away. Fair enough to keep to rules but perhaps as this was a two night cruise they didn't want to ruin the man's cruise. Did this happen to many more people no idea, but seeing people like you lambasted me before travelling that P&O are so strict I believe I am within my rights to report where the rules did not apply

All in all you have also made positive comments and at times you did seem to enjoy yourself and you did look very dashing In your photo but on a two day cruise and over twenty long comments I would say you perhaps spent your cruise looking for negatives to prove your points. definitely, I am a critic by nature Still I hope you do enjoy your next P & O cruiseI will thank you

My oh my, you have worked hard picking my review to pieces haven't you?

I bet you've been adding these up as you have been one of my most vehement critics on this board haven't you?

I clearly told you and other P&O loyalists before I went that I would provide a 'warts and all' review which upset many but that's my prerogative. And for your information (which will probably disappoint you) I did enjoy myself, I am just very observant which you are not if you've not seen any of the things I have.

Thanks for the comment that I looked dashing, but my goodness are you happy now that you've picked by review to pieces? I bet you're waiting for my reply because you knew there'd be one aren't you?

I can't believe you have really listed all my comments with your unclear replies. I stated quite clearly that these are my views, to which I am entitled as this is CRUISE CRITIC remember. You have not quoted clearly what I reported. That's like some of the U.K. Press, selective reports to sensationalise the topic, this is exactly what you have done, to misrepresent what I've said.

My goodness you have made me so angry I feel like reporting you for being so rude. I hope you feel smug now you've ruined this thread to which others have thanked me for. Were you one of the people who got me removed from a social media group because I dared criticise your beloved P&O? Because it sounds like it's just something you would do.

I will enjoy my next P&O cruise, but please let me know which ones you are sailing on so that if we are on the same one I can buy you a drink with my on board spend. :D

I notice you didn't mention any of my comments about cleanliness, so I await your feedback on that as I assume you find all bathrooms available and that everyone uses the gel, where I observed different, but of course I must be wrong mustn't I?

Oh, and I now know who to avoid on a P&O cruise, it's those who think and act as though they're on Cunard when in fact they're on a lower class line than they want to be but can't afford it, and act like Hyacinth Bucket. There were plenty of those around clutching their pearls at the antics of the hen parties, which I thoroughly enjoyed, the hen parties that is, not the Hyacinths of this world.

Edited by peteukmcr

So, before this thread deteriorates into a slanging match I'm going to draw a line under my review with a summary of Pros and Cons. Please remember this is my view from my first sailing with P&O and having spent many years in a very process reliant industry where constant reviews take place in order to improve, by nature I analyse situations to see where improvements could be made.

Pros.

1. Nice balcony cabin with plenty of hanging space and storage
  2. Tea & Coffee facilities in the cabin
  3. Glossy Horizon newsletter with little or no 'flyers' cluttering the information
  4. Stationery pack with pen & notepaper
  5. Launderettes and ironing facilities (free unlike Carnival where the washer/dryer cost)
  6. Adequate balcony with nice furniture
  7. Good variety of food with added convenience of 'Grab & Go' and Pool Grill
  8. Efficient service
  9. Plentiful beverage waiters
  10. Competitive bar prices, especially wine
  11. Prices in GBP not USD
  12. Less expensive 'service reward charge' of £5.50 pppn
  13. Future Cruise Certificate bonus

Cons (please bear in mind this is my view where I can see improvements made)

1. Shambolic check in with unnecessary rigid check in times
  2. Disorganised muster drill
  3. Restrictive design of buffet 'lines' and food stations
  4. No ability to reserve a table for 'Freedom' dining which would reduce the queuing and wait times IMHO
  5. Insufficient Future Cruise staff resulting in potential sales loss as people don't wait
  6. No appointment system for Future Cruise sales, this helps reducing queuing and waiting in line
  7. Rigid Black Tie Dress code and restrictive bar and dining venue access
  8. Restrictive dress code after 6pm on non Black Tie evenings

So as you can see, the Pros outweigh the Cons, so this P&O sceptic may have been converted, not cheering from the rafters, but not dismissed totally!

Thanks for 'sailing' along with me and I'll sign off now and concentrate on my American Airlines prize of Business class travel to New York in 18 days with a hotel stay of $500 per night plus Broadway show and then my very first MSC sailing in October (look out for my review of that one!).

Along the way we'll be looking at another P&O cruise to spend our FCC on! Seeing we're booked up for 2017 it will be 2018, maybe Britannia which is top of the list at the moment.

Edited by peteukmcr

We had a similar experience on Britannia during our 14-night Christmas cruise. Quite often we went to Brodie's after dinner because DD liked the quizzes at around 9.00. It was not uncommon to be asked 4 or 5 times within the space of a few minutes and even stating "No, we've just had dinner thanks, but we'll order one later" didn't make a difference. One night we were asked 11 (yes we counted!) times within the space of 15 minutes!!

Sometimes the staff just can't win.

How many times have we read reviews where the reviewer states the service was terrible and they had to wait xx minutes.

The other common complaint is passengers taking seats and not drinking while those who would wish to have drink can't get a seat.

Personally I prefer the service to be attentive and its no problem making a gesture that a drink will be ordered in due course.

Having said that I have been in a situation where the waiting staff have placed a 'coaster' on the table to indicate that they have visited that particular table.

So, before this thread deteriorates into a slanging match I'm going to draw a line under my review with a summary of Pros and Cons. Please remember this is my view from my first sailing with P&O and having spent many years in a very process reliant industry where constant reviews take place in order to improve, by nature I analyse situations to see where improvements could be made.

Pros.

3. Glossy Horizon newsletter with little or no 'flyers' cluttering the information
  5. Launderettes and ironing facilities (free unlike Carnival where the washer/dryer cost)
  8. Efficient service

4. No ability to reserve a table for 'Freedom' dining which would reduce the queuing and wait times IMHO
  5. Insufficient Future Cruise staff resulting in potential sales loss as people don't wait
  6. No appointment system for Future Cruise sales, this helps reducing queuing and waiting in line

So as you can see, the Pros outweigh the Cons, so this P&O sceptic may have been converted, not cheering from the rafters, but not dismissed totally!

Thanks for 'sailing' along with me and I'll sign off now and concentrate on my American Airlines prize of Business class travel to New York in 18 days with a hotel stay of $500 per night plus Broadway show and then my very first MSC sailing in October (look out for my review of that one!).

Along the way we'll be looking at another P&O cruise to spend our FCC on! Seeing we're booked up for 2017 it will be 2018, maybe Britannia which is top of the list at the moment.

Thanks Pete, I've enjoyed this thread immensely and I agree with some of your criticisms especially regarding embarkation. I think that a 2 day cruise is probably not the best model to represent a P&O cruise though, I don't imagine that Freedom Dining is quite so chaotic on a longer cruise but we haven't used Freedom so can't confirm that. Picking up on your point about drinks prices I think you are right about the single/double measure point and mixers, P&O bar prices are perceived to be cheaper but in fact are not always.

Edited by bee-ess

Before you go, Pete, I must say I also enjoyed your review and your observations - and I am a self confessed P&O stalwart too, lol.

If I ever wake up in the early hours hearing banging on the balcony, I will immediately think of you out on there sorting it out and will have a little smile to myself. Had a laugh at that.

Happy sailing,

Barbara

Pros.

8. Efficient service

Appreciate your constructive review, its helpful for a newbie like me and I have read it in the context of it being a short cruise. I will go with an open mind and enjoy it. I've chosen the P&O cruise for the places it calls at not for the cruise line or the ship. Cant wait!!

Ill look out for your MSC review too!!

Thank you Pete for an interesting review, I tend to agree with most of your observations and, although a P&O sceptic I still intend to sail with them in the future, mainly because of their range of itineraries from Southampton.

Just a few comments on your pros and cons, just be aware that your FCC only has a 12 month booking life, and its non refundable; the buffet design on Grand class is a well known issue but if you do book Britannia you will notice an improvement; freedom dining does settle down on longer cruises and you generally can pre reserve a time, although as we are happy to share its never an issue and anyway booking a time rather seems to negate the flexibility of freedom dining.

I totally agree with your criticism of the idiotic boarding arrangements, and the lack of FCC staff resulting in long queues, but not too bothered about the black tie restrictions.

We are off on Eclipse in just over 2 weeks time and there seem to be increased concerns on the X boards that modern luxury is slipping and service standards are falling, so I do hope they are wrong.

I have found this very interesting too as a fan of P&O but not a cheer leader as we travel on other lines too and feel there are aspects of all lines which we like as well as things we feel fall short of our expectations (which of course will be different from others').

Your summary is interesting and helpful as it crystallises those pluses and minuses you encountered. I would say I agree with you in respect of the chaotic muster drill. We are always dismayed by how sloppy it is. There were a few instances on our recent cruises where we felt a critical eye could easily identify how a little tightening up of a few procedures would be beneficial.

The issue with future cruise availability I think is a feature of a short cruise and possibly a lot of passengers wanting to take advantage of the offer. We've not experienced problems with this on longer cruises. Indeed on our last trip the staff were often at their desk with no passengers there. Appointments for the Future Cruise Desk could be a bit problematic as some passengers will be there discussing cruises and booking too and those sessions can be a bit open ended in terms of how long it takes so difficult to determine an appointment time. They could have one of the team on dedicated FCD duty though who could work to appointments. There was a drop box for FCDs on our last trip. Only needed a signature on a form which was followed up by a letter in your cabin and a confirmation email from P&O. Perhaps this wasn't an option on your cruise for time constraints also new passengers to P&O may prefer a face to face so for short cruises appointments could be an idea just for FCD as opposed to bookings but not necessary otherwise I'd think. Something they could try.

In general I agree with your summary and you obviously found enough to appeal to try P&O again. Hopefully you will enjoy that trip wherever it may be.

Edited by kruzseeka

Pete

A couple of points about a Future Cruise Deposit.

First, it cannot be used on a saver fare.

Secondly, you have to make the booking within 12 months of the date of issue of the future cruise, but the cruise booked can be beyond the 12 months.

Brian

Re Nos 5 and 6

Both re Future Cruises

On this I very much agree

Trying to get a face to face with the agents is far too difficult and time consuming.

I, for one, have walked away on many occasions and have come off ship without having made a booking whn I clearly wanted to.

Happens on longer cruises not just short ones

Thanks Pete, I've enjoyed this thread immensely and I agree with some of your criticisms especially regarding embarkation. I think that a 2 day cruise is probably not the best model to represent a P&O cruise though, I don't imagine that Freedom Dining is quite so chaotic on a longer cruise but we haven't used Freedom so can't confirm that. Picking up on your point about drinks prices I think you are right about the single/double measure point and mixers, P&O bar prices are perceived to be cheaper but in fact are not always.
Thank you

Before you go, Pete, I must say I also enjoyed your review and your observations - and I am a self confessed P&O stalwart too, lol.

If I ever wake up in the early hours hearing banging on the balcony, I will immediately think of you out on there sorting it out and will have a little smile to myself. Had a laugh at that.

Happy sailing,

Barbara

Many thanks

Appreciate your constructive review, its helpful for a newbie like me and I have read it in the context of it being a short cruise. I will go with an open mind and enjoy it. I've chosen the P&O cruise for the places it calls at not for the cruise line or the ship. Cant wait!!

Ill look out for your MSC review too!!

Thanks, just look out in mid October for my MSC review!

Thank you Pete for an interesting review, I tend to agree with most of your observations and, although a P&O sceptic I still intend to sail with them in the future, mainly because of their range of itineraries from Southampton.

Just a few comments on your pros and cons, just be aware that your FCC only has a 12 month booking life, and its non refundable; the buffet design on Grand class is a well known issue but if you do book Britannia you will notice an improvement; freedom dining does settle down on longer cruises and you generally can pre reserve a time, although as we are happy to share its never an issue and anyway booking a time rather seems to negate the flexibility of freedom dining.

I totally agree with your criticism of the idiotic boarding arrangements, and the lack of FCC staff resulting in long queues, but not too bothered about the black tie restrictions.

We are off on Eclipse in just over 2 weeks time and there seem to be increased concerns on the X boards that modern luxury is slipping and service standards are falling, so I do hope they are wrong.

Thanks for your feedback and yes, I did find out that the FCC is only valid for 12 months. But I do like that as it is lodged against my Peninsular number, as soon as I enter that when doing a booking it adds the OBS and reduces the applicable discount and the original price is reduced by 5%.

I have found this very interesting too as a fan of P&O but not a cheer leader as we travel on other lines too and feel there are aspects of all lines which we like as well as things we feel fall short of our expectations (which of course will be different from others').

Your summary is interesting and helpful as it crystallises those pluses and minuses you encountered. I would say I agree with you in respect of the chaotic muster drill. We are always dismayed by how sloppy it is. There were a few instances on our recent cruises where we felt a critical eye could easily identify how a little tightening up of a few procedures would be beneficial.

The issue with future cruise availability I think is a feature of a short cruise and possibly a lot of passengers wanting to take advantage of the offer. We've not experienced problems with this on longer cruises. Indeed on our last trip the staff were often at their desk with no passengers there. Appointments for the Future Cruise Desk could be a bit problematic as some passengers will be there discussing cruises and booking too and those sessions can be a bit open ended in terms of how long it takes so difficult to determine an appointment time. They could have one of the team on dedicated FCD duty though who could work to appointments. There was a drop box for FCDs on our last trip. Only needed a signature on a form which was followed up by a letter in your cabin and a confirmation email from P&O. Perhaps this wasn't an option on your cruise for time constraints also new passengers to P&O may prefer a face to face so for short cruises appointments could be an idea just for FCD as opposed to bookings but not necessary otherwise I'd think. Something they could try.

In general I agree with your summary and you obviously found enough to appeal to try P&O again. Hopefully you will enjoy that trip wherever it may be.

I agree appointments are tricky, and for it to work they need another member of staff, but to be honest where I've experienced it on other lines, time slots of 20 minutes seems to work.

Pete

A couple of points about a Future Cruise Deposit.

First, it cannot be used on a saver fare.

Secondly, you have to make the booking within 12 months of the date of issue of the future cruise, but the cruise booked can be beyond the 12 months.

Brian

Thanks for the update about the saver fare, the email from P&O did outline the 12 months validity.

Re Nos 5 and 6

Both re Future Cruises

On this I very much agree

Trying to get a face to face with the agents is far too difficult and time consuming.

I, for one, have walked away on many occasions and have come off ship without having made a booking whn I clearly wanted to.

Happens on longer cruises not just short ones

That's what I was prepared to do, especially as there appeared to be a deposit offer of just £50 pp.

Pete I have to admit I am amused you have made a FCD. I was sure you were determined to hate P&O!

I think you have really grown quite fond of us and don't want to leave.;)

I also think you gave a balanced view of what you considered to be the pros and cons.

Sometimes the staff just can't win.

How many times have we read reviews where the reviewer states the service was terrible and they had to wait xx minutes.

The other common complaint is passengers taking seats and not drinking while those who would wish to have drink can't get a seat.

Personally I prefer the service to be attentive and its no problem making a gesture that a drink will be ordered in due course.

Having said that I have been in a situation where the waiting staff have placed a 'coaster' on the table to indicate that they have visited that particular table.

I quite understand the staff have a job to do Solent Richard. If a waiter was conspicuous by his/her absence (as happened on New Year's Eve), then I would either find a polite way to attract someone's attention or get off my backside and go to the bar (which is what I did on NYE), not moan about it. I did say in my comment that we told the waiters we didn't want a drink at that time but would have something later - which equates to a "gesture that a drink will be ordered in due course". I still think 11 times in 15 minutes is overkill - it was impossible to hold a conversation because roughly every minute one of us was having to stop and say "No thank you, not now, perhaps later."