NCL stock tanks after poor earnings report

gnomie1

I wonder how much of the negative performance is due to Zika. If I were a couple in my 20s thinking of having kids, I would probably choose another vacation instead of a Caribbean cruise (or, of course, a Caribbean land vacation). Until they come up with a prophylactic for Zika I think the Caribbean economies will be hurting.

Marc

I wonder how much of the negative performance is due to Zika. If I were a couple in my 20s thinking of having kids, I would probably choose another vacation instead of a Caribbean cruise (or, of course, a Caribbean land vacation). Until they come up with a prophylactic for Zika I think the Caribbean economies will be hurting.

Marc

Good point! So, in addition to avoiding certain countries in Europe, some passengers want to avoid the Caribbean. And, if what we were told on another thread keeps spreading, Florida is another place that passengers would want to avoid. This obviously would affect cruise ships going into and out of what I guess is the most utilized port in the U.S.

Do you also have numbers of the percentage of passengers on CCL and RCL cruise lines that are from the U.K.? It would be good to have those numbers to compare. My guess is that, with the exception of Seabourn, Regent and perhaps Azamara, the percentage would be low. Perhaps I am naïve but I imagine that the number of U.K. cruisers on Carnival (not counting Seabourn) would be quite low which could equate to less of an effect.

Sorry I do not have any figures for the origins of passengers on the various cruiselines - They may be available if you ferret around in the Annual Reports.

As for CCL, I suspect that the percentage of UK cruisers is relatively high, remembering that CCL includes a number of UK based and European based cruiselines e.g. P&O(UK), Cunard & Costa

RCL includes Celebrity as well as Azamara and Royal Caribbean

Sorry I do not have any figures for the origins of passengers on the various cruiselines - They may be available if you ferret around in the Annual Reports.

As for CCL, I suspect that the percentage of UK cruisers is relatively high, remembering that CCL includes a number of UK based and European based cruiselines e.g. P&O(UK), Cunard & Costa

RCL includes Celebrity as well as Azamara and Royal Caribbean

I did forget how many cruise lines CCL owns. U.K. based cruisers would definitely cruise on P&O, Cunard and Costa. I was thinking of Carnival which somehow does not match my idea of the type of cruise line that people outside of the U.S. are particularly interested in. I obviously could be wrong.

I more or less look at Royal Caribbean the same as I do Carnival (and NCL). The fares on these ships are very low and I wonder how many people are willing to pay international plane fares in order to take a cruise that may cost as little as $100/day.

Based on the recent meeting onboard the Explorer, I know that non-U.S. residents make up about 20% of Regent customers and that they were hoping to get that number 30%. This may not happen for a while but in the interim, for a change, people in the U.S. have a strong dollar and could well use that advantage to travel.

It is hard to tell what stocks will do. Most stockholders are not professionals and base their purchasing decisions on instinct, word of mouth and their stockbroker. Instinct tells me that cruise lines may not do well for a while but I certainly hope that I'm wrong.

Most stockholders are not professionals and base their purchasing decisions on instinct, word of mouth and their stockbroker.

Not true, at least for NCLH. 85% of their stock is held by institutions, not individuals.

Not true, at least for NCLH. 85% of their stock is held by institutions, not individuals.

Sorry but I think you may have taken my comment out of context. My comment was about individuals and how they may react to drops in some stocks (specifically cruise lines) and how "individuals" typically make stock purchase/selling decisions. Perhaps I should not have used the term "most stockholders" and instead said most individuals that own stock.........

If I was going to buy 100 shares of NCL stock. What is the best place to go through to do it? I never bought stock outside of my IRA. Was just wondering how to do it

Edited by DBRO

If I was going to buy 100 shares of NCL stock. What is the best place to go through to do it? I never bought stock outside of my IRA. Was just wondering how to do it

If I was writing this was before last week I would say now, but with all the negative sentiments I would wait a few weeks to see what direction the stock is going to take.

j

That a trollish question, if not a troll's question.

But I will point out that there is nothing in the description of the benefit that says the stock cannot be held in an IRA. Why would NCL care?

For someone taking at least one 15 day or longer trip on an NCL ship, it's not a bad deal - a 6.25% return, at least, on a valuation of $4000 (40x100) - FDR willing and the creek don't rise and the rules don't change, going forward.

I believe that as long as the stock is directly owned by you, whether as an individual or through an IRA with your name on the account, it should be valid. I think they are trying to differentiate from the institutional investors (such as mutual funds) where you may own shares of a mutual fund that has NCLH stock among its holdings but is not owned directly.

If you send a message to investors services at ShareholderBenefit@RSSC.com they should be able to provide you with an answer (hopefully the correct one!)

gnomie :)