carnival magic upgrades before repositioning

clearandsunny

So it seems pretty obvious that the Carnival Magic is going to reposition to Port Canaveral but I also think that the Carnival Magic is going to receive a bunch of upgrades before it repositions. agree or disagree?

I hope so, but based on the lack of upgrades and 2.0 features being added to other recent ships going to drydock I am going to say no.

When we sailed on her in November, one of the guys working the ropes course was very chatty. He was an American recent college grad who was just finishing his second contract.

He went on to explain that the were adding guys burgers, blue iguana cantina, etc. He said they were going to do it while the ship was sailing. While we sailed they had just finished the transition and remodel from Camp Carnival to Camp Ocean (a down grade for sure!)

Anyhow, who knows if there is any actual truth to it. I haven't read anything that supports his comments.

Will there be a newer ship replacing the Magic?

I know the Freedom is in Galveston now, but the Freedom is older than the Magic.

And I thought the Triumph was moving to New Orleans?

Anyone have news?

Thank you,

I know the Freedom is in Galveston now' date=' but the Freedom is older than the Magic.

Anyone have news?

Thank you,[/quote']

THe Breeze will be home ported in Galveston Dec 2016

We are doing the repo sail from Fla to Tx

When we sailed on her in November, one of the guys working the ropes course was very chatty. He was an American recent college grad who was just finishing his second contract.

He went on to explain that the were adding guys burgers, blue iguana cantina, etc. He said they were going to do it while the ship was sailing. While we sailed they had just finished the transition and remodel from Camp Carnival to Camp Ocean (a down grade for sure!)

Anyhow, who knows if there is any actual truth to it. I haven't read anything that supports his comments.

Every ship I have sailed on that doesn't have the above mentioned upgrades has plenty of staff that say they will be getting them in dry dock ext. I will believe it when I see it. Personally I won't book anymore cruises without those additions on the ship or book on speculation.

Every ship I have sailed on that doesn't have the above mentioned upgrades has plenty of staff that say they will be getting them in dry dock ext. I will believe it when I see it. Personally I won't book anymore cruises without those additions on the ship or book on speculation.

I feel the same way, as far as not booking a ship without these additions. We sailed the Magic after 2 sailings on the Breeze. We thoughts, well there's some of it (red frog, cherry on top), but it wasn't. I mean don't get me wrong, it's a nice ship. But truly, we won't be sailing on another ship without Guys and Blue Iguana again.

The Breeze is just so much better.

I agree with others that I will only book if it has upgrades like Guy's and the cantina with the exception of unique itineraries for instance I'm cruising Alaska this summer but if I decided on going to Australia or if a ship was in Europe(except Vista cause that will have them), or if the price just couldn't be beat and that date worked(like my upcoming paradise cruise that was free.. Otherwise if it's a basic Caribbean cruise I will make sure it has all 2.0 upgrades

So it seems pretty obvious that the Carnival Magic is going to reposition to Port Canaveral but I also think that the Carnival Magic is going to receive a bunch of upgrades before it repositions. agree or disagree?

agree. i expect it to drydock some time before dec 11, 2016 (the date breeze starts from galveston, and it can be assumed, magic will reposition).

I am going to say no. She is still brand new and doesn't need a dry dock yet.

carnival magic is not brand new. true, it's the second newest ship in the fleet, but her inaugural sailing was may 1, 2011... that's almost 4 years old...

'newer' ships are required to be drydocked every 5 years, and so i do expect that magic will be drydocked some time in 2016, probably before or in coordination with relocation, and being the second newest ship in the fleet, which commands some mode of a premium in itself, will receive the 2.0 upgrades that some other ships are not in their current drydock upgrades. carnival still has several years worth of investment in a 'brand new' ship, which will show a return, unlike if they were to invest in some of the oldest ships in the fleet, like the fantasy class which are not receiving said upgrades.

frankly, i think scheduling of the anticipated drydock may be why they haven't announced the exact deployment of magic, despite the fact they noted it will indeed be re-deployed.

Edited by falkcor

I know the Freedom is in Galveston now' date=' but the Freedom is older than the Magic.

Anyone have news?

Thank you,[/quote']

Galveston will have Breeze, Freedom and Liberty.

carnival magic is not brand new. true, it's the second newest ship in the fleet, but her inaugural sailing was may 1, 2011... that's almost 4 years old...

'newer' ships are required to be drydocked every 5 years, and so i do expect that magic will be drydocked some time in 2016, probably before or in coordination with relocation, and being the second newest ship in the fleet, which commands some mode of a premium in itself, will receive the 2.0 upgrades that some other ships are not in their current drydock upgrades. carnival still has several years worth of investment in a 'brand new' ship, which will show a return, unlike if they were to invest in some of the oldest ships in the fleet, like the fantasy class which are not receiving said upgrades.

frankly, i think scheduling of the anticipated drydock may be why they haven't announced the exact deployment of magic, despite the fact they noted it will indeed be re-deployed.

Bingo. This is the Right answer.

I still the see the Magic and Breeze as brand new. Sorry if you don't see it that way.

• 1 month later...
I still the see the Magic and Breeze as brand new. Sorry if you don't see it that way.

i appreciate your sentiment, i really do, don't get me wrong. comparared to other ships in the fleet, a now 4 year old ship is definitely more 'brand new' than a 25 year old carnival fantasy... and the breeze even moreso...

but what i was commenting regarding is not your or my definition of brand new, it is the fact that the carnival magic is now 4 years old and as far as the US coast guard and certain SOLAS regulations are concerned - it is definitely not a 'brand new' ship, and will have to be drydocked within approximately 5 years of its launch as a passenger carrying vessel. whether you or i still consider it 'brand new' by that metric does not matter, and that was the nature of my comment.

magic will have a drydock sometime in 2016 if not sooner. i'll bet money on that, as per the '5 year rule' (without going into more detail).

I think that she will get lots of the amenities that Vista has. Since her maiden voyage was on May 1, 2011, my guess is, that she will dry dock in the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2016.

i agree on both counts. without a doubt, she's going into drydock by 2016...

and as carnival has scheduled drydock improvements, they incrementally improve for the more important assets (read: newer ships), they tend to one up themselves... even look at sunshine - they have run with havana bar on vista.

i fully expect to see expansion of the new standardized-branded-venues like havana bar etc to be present on the already noted to be impending magic drydock...

call it 2.5 or whatever - but they'll put the 2.0 then some of the new stuff that has been introduced from vista at the same time. i wouldn't be surprised to see the sky-rider thing put around the ropes course either, depending on how much they want to spend on a yet-to-be-proven concept :)

Great comments here. If the cost differential doesn't bother you and your comfort level prefers the ship excursions, is better to go that route. But IMO, some of the best excursions are found on land vacations and don't necessarily cater to the cruise ship crowd. More time, longer tours, lower cost than the lines (unless you book thru the resort) and if course, no ship to meet.

What is the reason for relocating Magic to Fla? What

is the business strategy here? They are almost identical

in capacity. :eek:

JT

Maybe since Galveston gets premium pricing they want their second newest ship sailing from there. Breeze has lots of amenities Magic doesn't have and may not get with 2.0 upgrades. It also doesn't really make sense having the two best ships sailing to the same places only 200 miles away from each other. Galveston is definitely getting an upgrade with this one.

Whatever their reason, I'm all for it. As similar as the Breeze and Magic are, a different ship is a different ship. I love trying out different ships and all this repositioning has so far allowed me to avoid sailing any ship twice. I think Carnival recognizes the fact that people will be more likely to book the Breeze since it's something different. I know I will definitely be booking the Liberty and Breeze once they arrive. My only regret is not being able to sail the Conquest before she left NOLA.

Edited by kajunkroozer