carnival magic upgrades before repositioning

clearandsunny

Bingo. This is the Right answer.

I would bet that the smaller Fantasy class ships will not ever get the 2.0 upgrades. Could be that Carnival will make some kind of " Carnival Lite" for the shorter cruises on the smaller ships.

I would bet that the smaller Fantasy class ships will not ever get the 2.0 upgrades. Could be that Carnival will make some kind of " Carnival Lite" for the shorter cruises on the smaller ships.

I think they will get some of the income producing ones like Red Frog Rum Bar and Blue Iguana on the Ecstasy.

THe Breeze will be home ported in Galveston Dec 2016

We are doing the repo sail from Fla to Tx

My daughter and I will be getting on as you debark - doing the 2 day cruise to nowhere so my daughter can experience the spa cabins. She has three young sons so she needs the rest and is giving me the cruise as I gift! I have been on the Magic utilizing the spa twice and she is jealous. Her hubby will have a busy three days with the boys all to himself while we SPA. Take care of the ship for us.

I think they will get some of the income producing ones like Red Frog Rum Bar and Blue Iguana on the Ecstasy.

they're really not any more 'income producing' than the bars that were in there place. the funny thing is that they actually did implement it on ecstasy, only, yet not on any of the fantasy class ships since. perhaps it was intended to be a 'trial balloon' to see if the re-branding of those bars, which is all it was, actually produced more income than the ship-exclusive-branded bars (unique names) they replaced - i doubt there is much of a difference to be honest, but i guess we'll see.

fantasy class ships got their big upgrades in the 'evolutions of fun' upgrades before 'funship 2.0' debuted... and then, for whatever reason they scaled that back and didn't do the full course on subsequent ships - not the welded on balconies, waterworks, etc.

perhaps it failed to actually up the fares in any material manner, and hence why they scaled back for the remaining 2 ships.

subsequent drydocks have failed to 'catch them up'. carnival has held back in keeping them up with the recent upgrades, i think they've about hit their cap for re-investment as it's a case of diminishing returns - they could put millions into the refurbishments, but the ships being 25 years old at the max are not going to show a similar return on investment to a destiny forward ship, and i don't think they're too pleased with the destiny -> sunshine refurbishment either, and hence have shelved plans to sunshine the triumph class, etc.

What is the reason for relocating Magic to Fla? What

is the business strategy here? They are almost identical

in capacity. :eek:

JT

I think it has to do with Carnival's commitment to stay dominant in Texas. Prior to RCL home porting a ship year round, Carnival was able to command a much greater price on the Magic. Ultimately, they need a newer ship with newer ship amenities to stay competitive.

I think that she will get lots of the amenities that Vista has. Since her maiden voyage was on May 1, 2011, my guess is, that she will dry dock in the 1st or 2nd quarter of 2016.

Topo, I just want to say that you have quite a varied cruise history! I also first sailed in 1983 on Royal Caribbean's Sun Viking. Happy Sailing!

Is Guys burger really that much better than regular hamburger??? Sailing on Magic in few weeks. I always that a burger is a burger.

It is that much better in my opinion. The regular burgers are standard frozen burgers. Guy burgers have a 80/20 fat to beef content and taste very fresh. The buns and topping bar is better too.

What is the reason for relocating Magic to Fla? What

is the business strategy here? They are almost identical

in capacity. :eek:

JT

Fares from Port Canaveral are always higher than rates in S.Florida or Texas or New Orleans.

I suspect that is because they have people coming in who visit Disney world and then take a cruise. Disney is way expensive. But Carnival from the same port...is a close second.

I look at fares on The Dream. And other ships moved to Texas or New Orleans. they are ALWAYS way below prices for same tour length of cruises out of Port Canaveral and often S.Florida.

could someone explain that to me?

Fares from Port Canaveral are always higher than rates in S.Florida or Texas or New Orleans.

I suspect that is because they have people coming in who visit Disney world and then take a cruise. Disney is way expensive. But Carnival from the same port...is a close second.

I look at fares on The Dream. And other ships moved to Texas or New Orleans. they are ALWAYS way below prices for same tour length of cruises out of Port Canaveral and often S.Florida.

could someone explain that to me?

that is not true, especially the definitive are always higher.

galveston cruises sail at a premium over pretty much any other port consistently throughout the year, and that is why they are increasing their presence and capacity in galveston. i'd say it actually used to be worse before they did increase capacity.

while i admit, i do not actively price compare between galveston and port canaveral often - a very quick search for upcoming sailings revealed this is definitely not the case.

port canaveral, sensation 4 day bahamas, june 28: 409/429/679/879

galveston, triumph 4 day mexico, june 25: 499/569/649/1049

there are several other cruises that prove this point that i do not feel like typing.

specifically for sunshine, i believe they have priced that ship very high because they consider it 'new' and that it should command a premium, and that would explain why many of those sailings may be higher than one would expect.

that is not true, especially the definitive are always higher.

galveston cruises sail at a premium over pretty much any other port consistently throughout the year, and that is why they are increasing their presence and capacity in galveston. i'd say it actually used to be worse before they did increase capacity.

while i admit, i do not actively price compare between galveston and port canaveral often - a very quick search for upcoming sailings revealed this is definitely not the case.

port canaveral, sensation 4 day bahamas, june 28: 409/429/679/879

galveston, triumph 4 day mexico, june 25: 499/569/649/1049

there are several other cruises that prove this point that i do not feel like typing.

specifically for sunshine, i believe they have priced that ship very high because they consider it 'new' and that it should command a premium, and that would explain why many of those sailings may be higher than one would expect.

Nice post, also the fact there is over 7 million people within a 3 hour ride to the port in Galveston.

Port Canaveral does not have a dream class ship since the Dream moved to New Orleans. It will increase the number of cabins there. The Sensation will be leaving Port Canaveral for Miami and will be replaced with another larger ship. More cabins for the same three and four days cruises.

Port Canaveral is a good stop for people who drive from northern states. A shorter drive than Miami.

With Royal moving one of its Oasis class ships to Port Canaveral Carnival wants to give passengers a good less expensive option to the overpriced Royal ships that sail form Port Canaveral.

• 1 month later...

Here's my wild guess based on today's events: The Magic is leaving Galveston on April 10th and not arriving to Port Canaveral until April 20th. Then JH said today there would not be a repositioning cruise but instead only crew. So, what can they possibly do in 10 days? Fingers crossed they can renovate the grill into a Guy's and maybe squeeze a cantina somewhere.

Here's my wild guess based on today's events: The Magic is leaving Galveston on April 10th and not arriving to Port Canaveral until April 20th. Then JH said today there would not be a repositioning cruise but instead only crew. So, what can they possibly do in 10 days? Fingers crossed they can renovate the grill into a Guy's and maybe squeeze a cantina somewhere.

Unfortunately you are mistaken. The Magics last cruise from Galveston leaves on 4-10-16 it is a 7 day this bring the ship back to Galveston on 4-17-16 an Her 1st sailing from home port Port Canaveral is on 4-20-16 a 3 day going to Bahamas. Now what I see odd is that after the 3 day cruise there is no dates until 5-21-16 sailing. Maybe they just have not released the sailings yet I don't know. Also has a break after Feb 14th back on 21st until March 6th

Is Guys burger really that much better than regular hamburger??? Sailing on Magic in few weeks. I always that a burger is a burger.

Yes. Guy's is much better than a plain ole burger. We have a friend who loves RCCL, but will sail CCL with us only if they have Guy's. The burgers are better & the toppings bar has grilled onions, mushrooms, all the veggies, etc. to put on your burger. I've had burgers on Magic & Freedom this year. There really is a difference. CCL needs to have Guy's & the Blue Iguana on all there ships. We also enjoy breakfast burritos.

Unfortunately you are mistaken. The Magics last cruise from Galveston leaves on 4-10-16 it is a 7 day this bring the ship back to Galveston on 4-17-16 an Her 1st sailing from home port Port Canaveral is on 4-20-16 a 3 day going to Bahamas. Now what I see odd is that after the 3 day cruise there is no dates until 5-21-16 sailing. Maybe they just have not released the sailings yet I don't know. Also has a break after Feb 14th back on 21st until March 6th

I knew I was overlooking something. Thanks for clarifying.

Still not very long. Will this be the standard paint and carpet touch-up dry dock?

No according to drydock websites its also a 2.0 upgrade. FWIW

Although the info is old, 2015 is the date of this DD, obviously moved to 2016

http://www.***********/info/carnival-cruise-lines/dry-dock-schedule.php

This one has the correct dates but little else.

http://www.embarkandaway.com/carnival-drydock-schedule.html

Yes. Guy's is much better than a plain ole burger. We have a friend who loves RCCL, but will sail CCL with us only if they have Guy's. The burgers are better & the toppings bar has grilled onions, mushrooms, all the veggies, etc. to put on your burger. I've had burgers on Magic & Freedom this year. There really is a difference. CCL needs to have Guy's & the Blue Iguana on all there ships. We also enjoy breakfast burritos.

It's way better than most cruise ship hamburgers but on land I might not even give it a go, far better choices on land IMO.

I certainly hope Magic gets it however before she comes to Florida.

Still not very long. Will this be the standard paint and carpet touch-up dry dock?

the standard 2.0 upgrades like blue iguana, guys burgers, alchemy bar, etc. don't take very long and have been implemented in the 10+ day dry docks, so yes it is entirely likely (and i've said for a while now it'd make no sense not to implement these to magic)...

Port Canaveral is one of Carnivals hottest ports right now. Thats why they have made the call to move Magic there early. They will add the Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades for sure! They want to make that market happy and having all upgraded ships there (Sunshine, Valor Fun Ship 2.0 happening in April 2016 and Now Magic) Carnival is being very smart here. They are gonna kill it in Port Canaveral!

Port Canaveral is one of Carnivals hottest ports right now. Thats why they have made the call to move Magic there early. They will add the Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades for sure! They want to make that market happy and having all upgraded ships there (Sunshine, Valor Fun Ship 2.0 happening in April 2016 and Now Magic) Carnival is being very smart here. They are gonna kill it in Port Canaveral!

If the price is right!