Reduced Sodium Menu

OceanDreaming2

Both my husband and I have trouble with swollen legs and feet while cruising. It never happens to me otherwise, although he has some issues while land based.

I normally don't salt my food while cruising, using it only sparingly on eggs, try to stay away from bacon, etc. but it didn't help on this past cruise to Alaska. I'm thinking about asking for the reduced sodium menu choices on our next cruise as the regular menu items seem very salty to me.

How does the reduced sodium menu differ from the regular menu items? I'm worried about the flavor.

Thanks for the opinions.

Edited by OceanDreaming2

Hi! I know nothing about a low-sodium menu, as I'm an "add extra salt to everything" kind of girl. In addition to answers you get here, I just wanted to direct you to this thread for additional information about combating swollen legs/feet/ankles. Lots of info there I found helpful. Good luck!

Thanks, I read portions of that thread last night. Black cherry capsules? Body brush and cellutox oil? Strange.

Thanks, I read portions of that thread last night. Black cherry capsules? Body brush and cellutox oil? Strange.

I know, right? There's some crazy voo-doo-type stuff there. haha.

I take my prescription diuretic, elevate my feet whenever I can, sleep with compression socks on, and I do pretty well (or at least no worse on cruises than anywhere else).

I know, right? There's some crazy voo-doo-type stuff there. haha.

I take my prescription diuretic, elevate my feet whenever I can, sleep with compression socks on, and I do pretty well (or at least no worse on cruises than anywhere else).

I take a diuretic and used DH's compression socks several times. It seemed to help but I still gained 5 lb. of water weight.

So, anyone know about the low or reduced sodium menu items?

Both my husband and I have trouble with swollen legs and feet while cruising. It never happens to me otherwise, although he has some issues while land based.

I normally don't salt my food while cruising, using it only sparingly on eggs, try to stay away from bacon, etc. but it didn't help on this past cruise to Alaska. I'm thinking about asking for the reduced sodium menu choices on our next cruise as the regular menu items seem very salty to me.

How does the reduced sodium menu differ from the regular menu items? I'm worried about the flavor.

Thanks for the opinions.

The best way to combat it is to walk less and drink a lot more water. Its not just the food that causes the problems, the alcoholic beverages are a problem, and surprisingly all the extra walking you do causes issues.

The best way to combat it is to walk less and drink a lot more water. Its not just the food that causes the problems, the alcoholic beverages are a problem, and surprisingly all the extra walking you do causes issues.

Wow! Drink more water but walk less? I drink water 80% of the time, iced tea once in a while and maybe had alcohol 3 times in 10 days.

But walking less is contrary to what we've been taught. Eat less, move more.

Alcohol, sugar, simple carbs could all contribute to swelling (all those things we have on a cruise :p ) I would not avoid walking, that should help with swelling I would believe. Drink more water, go for the fresh fruits and veggies when possible.

I have requested low salt meals on my last cruise. I contacted my TA, who in turn contacted NCL requesting low salt meals.

The low salt request effects any meal you have, with the exception of eating at the buffet (as I'm sure you know). I can't recall if it applied to any specialty restaurants, but I think it does.

Assuming you will eat in an MDR, make sure you let your wait staff know about your restrictions. After any meal I had, they handed me the next days menu so I could pick a meal for the next day.

Give NCL at least 45 days before your cruise for this to go into effect.

Hope this helps! :)

I have requested low salt meals on my last cruise. I contacted my TA, who in turn contacted NCL requesting low salt meals.

The low salt request effects any meal you have, with the exception of eating at the buffet (as I'm sure you know). I can't recall if it applied to any specialty restaurants, but I think it does.

Assuming you will eat in an MDR, make sure you let your wait staff know about your restrictions. After any meal I had, they handed me the next days menu so I could pick a meal for the next day.

Give NCL at least 45 days before your cruise for this to go into effect.

Hope this helps! :)

Yes, your comments help. I can always add salt, but can't take it away!

My ankles only swell when I am on a cruise. I read the entire thread that was posted above so on my last cruise I did the dry brushing with the Elemis oil. I also did not drink the ships water or any iced tea, typically I would drink iced tea at lunch and dinner. I also brought some bottled water and checked it in with my luggage. I do not drink alcohol so at dinner or lunch I requested a can of soda and tried to avoid large amounts of ice. This past cruise I did have some ankle swelling but nothing like I have had in then past. I guess I'll try that routine again when I cruise next time.

• 11 months later...

I had the same exact problem two weeks ago on the Pearl to Alaska. Dinner on our first night was at Moderno and found the meat incredibly salty. We did a lot of walking on the ship with our room being far forward. My feet and ankles started swelling the second night. I only drank bottled water. Once in Alaska we did a lot of walking. Mendenhall Glacier's Nugget Falls was a 2 mile round trip walk. This has only happened to me once before and that was on vacation in California where we went out to dinner almost every night. It has to be a combination of the sodium and extra walking. I slept with my feet on three pillows at night which helped. We actually canceled our dinner reservations at Teppenyaki knowing the food is high in sodium. NCL seems to over-salt their food. I will avoid Teppenyaki and Moderno from now on. Once back home, I'm back to normal. I do think I will speak to my doc about a diuretic. This photo is of my legs on the 4th night in Skagway. My laptop felt nice and cold on my feet. :)

IMG_6863.jpg.a49e85512238a9e90660a5cbe8a76cd0.jpg

Edited by emilysmom97

I had the same exact problem two weeks ago on the Pearl to Alaska. Dinner on our first night was at Moderno and found the meat incredibly salty. We did a lot of walking on the ship with our room being far forward. My feet and ankles started swelling the second night. I only drank bottled water. Once in Alaska we did a lot of walking. Mendenhall Glacier's Nugget Falls was a 2 mile round trip walk. This has only happened to me once before and that was on vacation in California where we went out to dinner almost every night. It has to be a combination of the sodium and extra walking. I slept with my feet on three pillows at night which helped. We actually canceled our dinner reservations at Teppenyaki knowing the food is high in sodium. NCL seems to over-salt their food. I will avoid Teppenyaki and Moderno from now on. Once back home, I'm back to normal. I do think I will speak to my doc about a diuretic. This photo is of my legs on the 4th night in Skagway. My laptop felt nice and cold on my feet. :)

Edited by emilysmom97

Thanks for the opinions.

You will want to stay away from Moderno as the meat is so salty you might as well lick a salt block.

Please go see your physician and discuss. Trust me ... this should not be the norm. We all have many more cruises to take :)