On the Jewel as we speak

So..... The itinerary has been great, the weather fabulous, time in the ports beyond amazing, but the crew has been lackadaisical at best, mostly disinterested at all times, and just not the friendly, happy persons that I have come to know and love on all of the other RC cruises I have been on (We are all D+ In our party). The exceptions have been the wait staff in the premium dining restaurants and Chef's Table, who have all been fabulous.

We are sailing in a large suite, and have not experienced the usual suite perks: we have seen our attendant Clinton only twice thus far. Once was on day one when we made only two requests he promised to fulfill (towels and ice daily, neither which have materialized with any regularity though we did tip up front), and the second time was when we contacted him directly with a plumbing problem, which he did address expeditiously. While the room has been made up appropriately each day, there have been no extra "treats" we are so accustomed to in every other suite we have sailed in over the past months and years recently.

The CL has been quiet, (REALLY quiet, as in only 0-6 other passengers in there with us every night) yet Anton the bartender has yet to go the extra mile to remember what we are drinking or to stock Stella for us for this week. He makes us feel like it is above him to provide us with drinks. Diego the concierge is very, very, nice but less than helpful in assisting with anything but the most minimal request. It's like pulling teeth to get him to do what other concierges did on their own accord in the past. The food in that lounge is routinely cold and stale. We will not go back there for the remainder of the cruise- it's a beautiful lounge area, but the "snotty atmosphere" by the crew is just that bad.

The concierge in the DL was friendly in the beginning, but now is ignoring everyone in his lounge, just sitting at the desk the entire time. The other passengers in the lounge are lovely and friendly, as is the bartender.

The ship itself is beautiful, the refurbs from the dry dock are apparent. Entertainment has been good, but not as spectacular as on the large ships. Food in the MDR the one night we went was abysmal, but Izumi tonight was nice, as were Giovanni's and Chops. The Chef's Table was fabulous!

Hate to post so much negativity, but am hoping RCCI will step up their game and provide the experience we all expect. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions, I'll answer as many as I can.

Agree Regarding the staff. Was on jewel last week. Beside our waiters in MDR and room attendant most staff was disinterested and made no effort to spice things up. Tho I ve only been on the liberty before , one of the things that made me wanna cruise again was the jolly mood onboard. Lacking on this ship.

I am so sad this has happened. I did a b2b years ago and absolutely loved our time on her. I guess as the years pass and newer ships get into the spotlight, things fall off. This is too bad; for everyone :confused::(

We did a US/Canada Pacific Coastal Cruise on the Jewel September 2015 and we thought the Crew was great (at least the ones we delt with) and really liked the Jewel. We've got a B2B Caribbean Cruise booked on her for April 2017 and we are looking forward to be getting back on the Jewel and hope some of the crew members we became friends with are still on her.

I have been on the jewel twice within the past year and always felt live a VIP on that ship. Diego has always gone above and beyond in helping us with our needs. Last December we were on a GS and really enjoyed the wine the cruise director sent us as well as the suite party and special accommodations in chops and Giovanni's! I'm really surprised that your not getting wow'd. Perhaps pull Diego aside and talk to him and hopefully he'll make things better,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have spent the last two Christmas/New Year's Holidays on Jewel. We've sailed with Diego several times. Can't understand, in any way, how the OP can have an issue with Diego. Not saying the OP is wrong, just that it's hard to believe. Service in the CL has always been excellent. All this is a surprise to us.

Rick and Deirdra

So..... The itinerary has been great, the weather fabulous, time in the ports beyond amazing, but the crew has been lackadaisical at best, mostly disinterested at all times, and just not the friendly, happy persons that I have come to know and love on all of the other RC cruises I have been on (We are all D+ In our party). The exceptions have been the wait staff in the premium dining restaurants and Chef's Table, who have all been fabulous.

We are sailing in a large suite, and have not experienced the usual suite perks: we have seen our attendant Clinton only twice thus far. Once was on day one when we made only two requests he promised to fulfill (towels and ice daily, neither which have materialized with any regularity though we did tip up front), and the second time was when we contacted him directly with a plumbing problem, which he did address expeditiously. While the room has been made up appropriately each day, there have been no extra "treats" we are so accustomed to in every other suite we have sailed in over the past months and years recently.

The CL has been quiet, (REALLY quiet, as in only 0-6 other passengers in there with us every night) yet Anton the bartender has yet to go the extra mile to remember what we are drinking or to stock Stella for us for this week. He makes us feel like it is above him to provide us with drinks. Diego the concierge is very, very, nice but less than helpful in assisting with anything but the most minimal request. It's like pulling teeth to get him to do what other concierges did on their own accord in the past. The food in that lounge is routinely cold and stale. We will not go back there for the remainder of the cruise- it's a beautiful lounge area, but the "snotty atmosphere" by the crew is just that bad.

The concierge in the DL was friendly in the beginning, but now is ignoring everyone in his lounge, just sitting at the desk the entire time. The other passengers in the lounge are lovely and friendly, as is the bartender.

The ship itself is beautiful, the refurbs from the dry dock are apparent. Entertainment has been good, but not as spectacular as on the large ships. Food in the MDR the one night we went was abysmal, but Izumi tonight was nice, as were Giovanni's and Chops. The Chef's Table was fabulous!

Hate to post so much negativity, but am hoping RCCI will step up their game and provide the experience we all expect. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions, I'll answer as many as I can.

'

Where are you cruising?

If you are in a large suite don't you also have a separate concierge (in addition to Diego in the lounge.)

Who is the concierge in the D lounge?

Please ask Diego if he will be on for the Jewel crossing Puerto Rico to Rome in April.

Edited by BEENSAILING

We were in an owners suite last August, the large suites do not have a separate concierge on the jewel. The Genie is not on thr Radiance Class. Diego was the suite and Pinnacle and D+ concierge.

Thanks. I was told by Royal that for Grand Suite guests - we have that upcoming on Explorer, Navigator and Jewel there was an additional concierge, in addition to the Concierge in the lounge.

We are in the Royal Suite, which is why I expected at least the same level of attention as the Owner's or Sky Loft Suites we have sailed on on the Freedom, Voyager, and Oasis Class ships in the past. However, it is nowhere even close. I don't have any particular "issues" with Diego as someone above suggested, it's just that he does not go above and beyond as all of the others have on the other ships. Like I said, he is extremely pleasant and friendly, but we expected assistance with getting off the Jewel in the different ports, getting our passports back, etc. It's just not there. But it is also the bartender that is the biggest disappointment- he rarely initiates conversation unless he is asked questions about himself, and he has so far done nothing that has wow'd us, unlike the Izumi waiter who twice left Izumi last night when we mentioned some item we loved in another venue. Did it on his own without us specifically requesting it, even. And the manager? there also concocted a very tasty, special "cocktail" for our young son that made him feel very special. It's these touches that we appreciate immensely.

Oh, and there is no other or separate concierge- just the Suite concierge and the Diamond concierge. Another above poster is correct that there is a Genie on the largest ships, but not on this class.

Edited by kmorg1234

We are in the Royal Suite, which is why I expected at least the same level of attention as the Owner's or Sky Loft Suites we have sailed on on the Freedom, Voyager, and Oasis Class ships in the past. However, it is nowhere even close. I don't have any particular "issues" with Diego as someone above suggested, it's just that he does not go above and beyond as all of the others have on the other ships. Like I said, he is extremely pleasant and friendly, but we expected assistance with getting off the Jewel in the different ports, getting our passports back, etc. It's just not there. But it is also the bartender that is the biggest disappointment- he rarely initiates conversation unless he is asked questions about himself, and he has so far done nothing that has wow'd us, unlike the Izumi waiter who twice left Izumi last night when we mentioned some item we loved in another venue. Did it on his own without us specifically requesting it, even. And the manager? there also concocted a very tasty, special "cocktail" for our young son that made him feel very special. It's these touches that we appreciate immensely.

Oh, and there is no other or separate concierge- just the Suite concierge and the Diamond concierge. Another above poster is correct that there is a Genie on the largest ships, but not on this class.

Getting off in ports? Do you mean in the ports where ship is tendering? Isn't the Concierge supposed to walk down the Suite guests so they can be first off? And re passports?

Yes, tendering, and helping us off in the walk-off ports so that we could meet our tour guides early in the ports. As you probably know, after the ship is cleared, it is a mob scene of people trying to get off all at the same time- elevators packed, people pushing, etc. We lost an hour of a private tour in Athens yesterday due to late clearance and problems getting off the ship.

As for the passports, I would think he'd arrange a time to get us back the passports instead of waiting in line or having to track him down.

Yes, tendering, and helping us off in the walk-off ports so that we could meet our tour guides early in the ports. As you probably know, after the ship is cleared, it is a mob scene of people trying to get off all at the same time- elevators packed, people pushing, etc. We lost an hour of a private tour in Athens yesterday due to late clearance and problems getting off the ship.

As for the passports, I would think he'd arrange a time to get us back the passports instead of waiting in line or having to track him down.

Have you spoken with him about these issues?

HI,

My questions are a bit different.

Have there been any offer of a drink punch card - the 10 drink for $?

What are the prices on drinks - similar to US / Caribbean sailings $6 for beer and $15 for most mixed drinks?

Jewel doesn't have Boleros - is there any place where they play latin music?

What time is the nightly D / D+ event - some are 5:00 some are 5:30? My last cruise it was 4:30 and if you weren't in the lounge really early you couldn't get a seat.

Thank you!

Can those who have sailed the Jewel share the suite perks that one should experience/expect? We will be sailing the Greek Isles in a month. Speaking with the cruise line and looking at the website has caused some confusion.

I have sailed NCL suites in the past and know there is a difference in the programs but I want to have appropriate expectations. One of our key needs is the priority disembarkation for the ports due to private tours we have arranged.

Thank you!

HI,

My questions are a bit different.

Have there been any offer of a drink punch card - the 10 drink for $?

What are the prices on drinks - similar to US / Caribbean sailings $6 for beer and $15 for most mixed drinks?

Jewel doesn't have Boleros - is there any place where they play latin music?

What time is the nightly D / D+ event - some are 5:00 some are 5:30? My last cruise it was 4:30 and if you weren't in the lounge really early you couldn't get a seat.

Thank you!

Hi VikieLynne,

I'd love to provide more information, but for some of these questions I just don't know the answers. I looked for adverts for the drink cards today, but saw none. Maybe they are not for sale, or one must ask for them specifically? I will keep looking, though, and ask tonight if I find myself near a bar. For the same reasons, I do not know the price of the drinks- we enjoy the drinks in the lounge, but don't otherwise visit the bars. I apologize for not being able to provide good answers for you.

As for Lating music, they do have a band called the Mirage Trio that plays in the Safari Club, but the hours are def not like at Boleros! They are playing tonight from 8:15-9, then 9:15-10:15. Boleros is much more active.

The lounge happy hours are from 5-9pm; seems to go a little later as the late seating is at 9 pm. Neither has been even remotely busy or crowded. We love socializing with others in these clubs, but have found it to be impossible as there are so few others there, if anyone else at all. A far cry from our last Freedom cruise!

Hope this helps, even just a little.

Pleasant cruising!

Can those who have sailed the Jewel share the suite perks that one should experience/expect? We will be sailing the Greek Isles in a month. Speaking with the cruise line and looking at the website has caused some confusion.

I have sailed NCL suites in the past and know there is a difference in the programs but I want to have appropriate expectations. One of our key needs is the priority disembarkation for the ports due to private tours we have arranged.

Thank you!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

Have you spoken with him about these issues?

No, but I will tonight as it is only fair that he be made aware of expectations. I can't be the only one thinking of these things- lots of talk around the pool today about the disruption to the afternoon to go collect one's passport.

Hi VikieLynne,

I'd love to provide more information, but for some of these questions I just don't know the answers. I looked for adverts for the drink cards today, but saw none. Maybe they are not for sale, or one must ask for them specifically? I will keep looking, though, and ask tonight if I find myself near a bar. For the same reasons, I do not know the price of the drinks- we enjoy the drinks in the lounge, but don't otherwise visit the bars. I apologize for not being able to provide good answers for you.

As for Lating music, they do have a band called the Mirage Trio that plays in the Safari Club, but the hours are def not like at Boleros! They are playing tonight from 8:15-9, then 9:15-10:15. Boleros is much more active.

The lounge happy hours are from 5-9pm; seems to go a little later as the late seating is at 9 pm. Neither has been even remotely busy or crowded. We love socializing with others in these clubs, but have found it to be impossible as there are so few others there, if anyone else at all. A far cry from our last Freedom cruise!

Pleasant cruising!

When we were on the Explorer in June, our BF we're in a GS. The CL was empty and our friends were allowed to use the DL since they had gold cards. Talk to Diego and ask him if you can utilize the Diamond Lounge or go to the Diamond Event. I bet you will find a bigger crowd there and meet some nice folks.

When we were on the Explorer in June, our BF we're in a GS. The CL was empty and our friends were allowed to use the DL since they had gold cards. Talk to Diego and ask him if you can utilize the Diamond Lounge or go to the Diamond Event. I bet you will find a bigger crowd there and meet some nice folks.

We have been hanging out in the Diamond Lounge with some very nice, interesting folks from all over the world. We are D+ as well as suite dwellers. It has been the more fun and interesting place to meet people and have fun.

Hi VikieLynne,

Pleasant cruising!

Thank you!!! Great help :-)

The drink cards are hit or miss from what I've seen. I was just curious on the drink prices. With the lounge the drink packages aren't a good value but the cards are great.

Wasn't expecting a Boleros feel so happy they they do have a latin band so will split my time between The Safari Club and Schooner - works for me.

21 Days and counting...Can't wait!!