Difficulty level of the Baths in Virgin Gorda

hippieC4

Hello Cruise Friends,

We are sailing out in December and one of the ports of call is Tortola. I have read mixed reviews on difficulty levels of the Baths... from no way anyone that is not super athletic can do this to it being super easy. (I am not sure I have ever read about an excursion so all over the place). My husband and I are not super athletic, but this looks like an absolute do not miss site. We will have our 13 year old daughter with us also. How long of a walk is it? Do you have to go over and through all the boulders to get to the small beach or is there a way around? How deep is the water here? I have read you can go by boat, then swim to it. How deep? How far? I do not want to spend a lot of money then realize it is impossible for us to do or that we will get run over for being a little slow.

I have heard it can be super crowded. Is that the norm?

Help! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Not that long of a hike, maybe 30 minutes. A bit of a hill getting there.

Going thru the Baths you'll encounter two obstacles-- one is a ladder with very low head room, I'm under 5' and I hit my head. Another area is a steep rock with a slimy rope to help climb over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello Cruise Friends,

We are sailing out in December and one of the ports of call is Tortola. I have read mixed reviews on difficulty levels of the Baths... from no way anyone that is not super athletic can do this to it being super easy. (I am not sure I have ever read about an excursion so all over the place). My husband and I are not super athletic, but this looks like an absolute do not miss site. We will have our 13 year old daughter with us also. How long of a walk is it? Do you have to go over and through all the boulders to get to the small beach or is there a way around? How deep is the water here? I have read you can go by boat, then swim to it. How deep? How far? I do not want to spend a lot of money then realize it is impossible for us to do or that we will get run over for being a little slow.

I have heard it can be super crowded. Is that the norm?

Help! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The Baths are typically pretty crowded, the excursion is not really hard, if you can walk up a hill. That is where the issue comes in, not playing in the Baths themselves, it is getting back up the hill that is the problem. The walk is about 10 minutes down, 15 - 20 back up.

There are beaches on both sides of the boulders and caves. the water in the Baths is about 3 feet maximum, at the beaches it all depends on how far out you go. One is much more shallow than the other.

If you swim in the water is probably 20 feet when you get off the boat and the distance is about 150 yards. It is a very easy swim, and they will provide a life vest if you want one.

The Baths are awesome, but as mentioned, will likely be crowded. Try to book the earliest excursion in the day. The cruise over to Virgin Gorda may be rough, so taking a preventative med such as Bonine is recommended. Also, be sure to wear water shoes. The rocks can be slippery, and the footpath is uneven- as well as goes through tight spaces.

You may want to read reviews of The Baths on Tripadvisor, or the reviews of NCL's excursion that is offered. Or google some youtube video. This one is pretty good (the ladders are seen around the 4:20 mark). And expand the screen for a good view: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=virgin+gorda+baths&&view=detail&mid=69AB4D5738647FD6D03169AB4D5738647FD6D031&rvsmid=BD2D0322430AC2AF2F23BD2D0322430AC2AF2F23&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP. The Baths are unforgettable, enjoy!

My husband and I did the excursion to Virgin Gorda from St. Thomas when Holland America still offered it. (It was quite a haul from there, had to stop at Tortola to clear immigration, then get on another boat ---- made for a very long day and not a super long time at the Baths.)

Having said that: Don't miss it! I just watched the video and thought it made it look harder than it is (granted, I skipped some of the video). My husband and I are not what you would call athletic and we fall into that 55+ category. It was a fun trek, nothing we felt was beyond our abilities. I feel that most able bodied people would not find it challenging -- other than the obstacle course aspect of it! :)

Go for it!

Its a gorgeous place - like nowhere I have ever seen! There are massive rocks as big as a house. The one particular set I remember were on the water and they met at the top to make a cave and if you wade through this area you are rewarded with a lovely little secret pool!! me and my daughter went just to see what was "down there" as you do - and it really was one of those memories that you know is going to stay with you forever.

and no - you don't need to be "fit" - I am a fat asthmatic and I managed ok. You do need to be able to walk independently though. I think there also was a big stone and you had to clamber up it whilst pulling yourself up with a rope?

When we went, we got there before the crowds. We didn't go on an organised trip. We got off the ship early and a man sold us seats on his speedboat. The man who owned the boat said "old one at the back" - meaning me. I am 48! but its all relative.... I suppose... I was the oldest. But let me tell you - them young ones all wanted to sit at the back on the return journey!!!

My wife is paralyzed on her right side. The right leg surgically straightened and stiffened. Her right arm bent and her hand usually by her cheek. Uses a wheelchair much of the time but can walk and do stairs. SHE managed the walk down and back up (leaning on me) - albeit stopping frequently to let people pass.

Do it! Do it! Do it!

Wear water shoes as you will be wading through the caves.

I was actually a bit disappointed that the walk was not more difficult as I had been doing serious damage to the cheese cart on board the ship. We had one man on our tour who was walking with crutches and he managed to do the whole thing. He was getting some help from his wife and daughter. And there was some grunting and muttering, but he made it.