Best Skagway excursion that includes White Pass Rail?

Alaska0799

Interested in recommendations for best excursions (best experience for the $$) that incorporate train, to pass along to friends for their first Alaska cruise. They also want to spend time exploring the town, so excursion should be less than a full day. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We just got back from Alaska last week. We booked Yukon Rail and Bus with Chilkoot Tours and had James as our tour guide. That was the best excursion we have ever been on. We took the train up and then the bus. We had great weather that day and the scenery was so beautiful! We met Chilkoot tours next to the dock at 7:30 and left at 8:00 on the train up. It was a 7 and a half hour excursion that our whole family LOVED! We were back in town by 3:30 and had 2 hours to shop in town before having early dinner. The ship didn't leave Skagway till 9:00 that night. I highly recommend booking that excursion through Chilkoot Tours!

We did the White Pass Summit with Chilkoot....we opted to take the bus up and train down...we did the 8:30am departure and we were back in Skagway approx 1:00pm...just in time to have lunch and with plenty of time to explore the town....this option worked great for us.

We did the White Pass Summit with Chilkoot....we opted to take the bus up and train down...we did the 8:30am departure and we were back in Skagway approx 1:00pm...just in time to have lunch and with plenty of time to explore the town....this option worked great for us.

This sounds great! I realize now we're booked with Chilkoot but a slightly different tour than yours.

We are booked on the tour that Lucy2mb took.

https://chilkootcharters.com

Edited by BananaAnna

Thank you!! lucy2mb, I think this is the excursion we want to do! Can you give us a little more detail about it? I know my husband will love it!

Here is the link to chilkoot

https://chilkootcharters.com/

Look at the Yukon Rail and Bus and it gives all the information about the excursion. You can choose leaving later time except in early May. They only offered the 7:30 excursion for us with the train up and bus back because of going early May. I don't know when they start offering the bus up and train back. It should be soon. I was afraid we would have fog going up but we had perfect weather that day. Ask for James as your driver. He is amazing!

You have to pay when you book. Our children in their 20's loved the excursion as much as my husband and I. Lunch is included with the excursion. Sit on the left side of the train going up. Let me know if you have any other questions. I know you will love the excursion!

W.P.&Y.R. Luxury Car (VIP Car) up and back. Private car with leather swivel seats, large viewing area, tour guide for just you, snacks, Wine and Alaskan beer. At the top the car becomes the caboose with full views. There are 2 trains with these cars. Took it 16 May - highly recommended.

What made it the best excursion you've ever been on?

I've read the Chilkoot description dozens of times, so just wanted personal perspective.

Thank you!

The scenery was the most beautiful I have ever seen on an excursion! May was a great month to go because of all the snow on the mountains. Plus, we had perfect weather and the sky was beautiful with all the white, puffy clouds. Got some great pictures! You have a smaller group booking through Chilkoot than you would booking through the ship. I had read some people say that the small boat excursion in the Fjord was their favorite excursion ever, but I preferred the Yukon Rail and Bus. Personally, I wish we had not done the small boat excursion in the fjord. It was nice but not worth the money in my opinion for the 2 and a half hours. I am sure some people would disagree.

W.P.&Y.R. Luxury Car (VIP Car) up and back. Private car with leather swivel seats, large viewing area, tour guide for just you, snacks, Wine and Alaskan beer. At the top the car becomes the caboose with full views. There are 2 trains with these cars. Took it 16 May - highly recommended.

How did you book the luxury car? Was that only available thru the cruise line?