Avoid #5056 on the Nieuw Amsterdam!

canadarocks

Trust me, the triangular jutout section is barely wide enough to stand in. But those of you who doubt me can certainly go ahead and book that cabin. :p
Oh, I don't doubt that the triangular piece is small - but still it makes the balcony larger than all of the other V cabin balconies on the deck back as far as 5136. So instead of saying "don't book 5056" you should say don't book any V on deck 5. I don't have as good an angle for 5138, but it appears that it also has a bent railing with the extra triangular piece added.

ny9yms.jpg

I didn't realize HAL's drawing are suspect.
Over the years I've discovered many errors on HAL deck plans. I wasn't aware of this one until this thread, however. Edited by jtl513

I find your comments to be unreasonable. I am 6'2" tall and had no trouble enjoying our relatively narrow balcony on Deck 5. In fact, we spent more time on the balcony than on other cruises. Like I said previously, the extra protection from the sun and wind was a bonus for us.

One can find reasons to enjoy the cruise while others find reasons to get upset...

igraf

After less than a minute out there, I knew we wouldn't spend any time on #5056's balcony. ..

I find your comments to be unreasonable. I am 6'2" tall and had no trouble enjoying our relatively narrow balcony on Deck 5. In fact, we spent more time on the balcony than on other cruises. Like I said previously, the extra protection from the sun and wind was a bonus for us.

One can find reasons to enjoy the cruise while others find reasons to get upset...

igraf

And as I said previously, those of you who doubt me can certainly go ahead and book that cabin. I don't understand how any of my comments are unreasonable, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

So instead of saying "don't book 5056" you should say don't book any V on deck 5.

Not having seen any other V cabins on deck 5... saying that would be unreasonable. In my opinion. :D

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 1

Red box is 5056, green is 5058. It looks to me like 5056 is larger because of the triangular jut-out.

kdv4n6.jpg

This really clears it up. Thanks. I try to avoid all cabins that are "shielded from the wind" (which is the advantage as I've often heard it referred to), preferring to be in a cabin where my balcony juts out. Even if that balcony was 6 ft deep straight through, the view forward is blocked by the next cabin, and I cannot see around corners. :)

5056 is 1.5 feet (457 cm) narrower.
Narrower than what? It seems VF5056 is no narrower than VF5058. :confused: Edited by bUU

This really clears it up. Thanks. I try to avoid all cabins that are "shielded from the wind" (which is the advantage as I've often heard it referred to), preferring to be in a cabin where my balcony juts out. Even if that balcony was 6 ft deep straight through, the view forward is blocked by the next cabin, and I cannot see around corners. :)

Narrower than what? It seems VF5056 is no narrower than VF5058. :confused:

They are exactly the same depth and width. There is just the ADDED little triangle for 5056. So you could truly say that 5056 is bigger than VF5058, or any other similar rectangular cabin on that deck.

There is no "shrinking" with 5056.

Edited by Tinknock50

Narrower than what? It seems VF5056 is no narrower than VF5058. :confused:
Than the "standard" side Vx balconies. In the diagram in post #4, the VB balconies 5044 to 5052 are approximately 6 ft deep while the V from 5056 on back to 5136 are about 4.5 ft deep. The diagram misleadingly shows the opposite. They are all the same approximate 9 ft wide. Edited by jtl513

The blockage forward is only significant if one is in a cabin close to the transition zone. Drop back ten cabins or so and the view blockage angle is very small, yet still afford some wind protection. Also, there would be less forward view blockage on the higher decks as these decks have less of a difference.

I am guessing the at the Deck 5 midship balconies are extra short so as to allow clearance for deploying the lifeboats.

igraf

This really clears it up. Thanks. I try to avoid all cabins that are "shielded from the wind" (which is the advantage as I've often heard it referred to), preferring to be in a cabin where my balcony juts out. Even if that balcony was 6 ft deep straight through, the view forward is blocked by the next cabin, and I cannot see around corners...

How much was the upset offer, and how did you get the original upset cabin changed once you got onboard?

Bolding mine. Spell-check/auto-correct sometimes makes me smile.:D

Edited by TiogaCruiser
Dang auto correct got my post too.

Bolding mine. Spell-check/auto-correct sometimes makes me smile.:D

Good catch and a good laugh. Particularly since this upsell did lead to an upset. (Dang, it did it again - had to strong-arm it to make it behave.) :cool:

Upsell is certainly in our working vocabulary, but apparently not yet the non-cruise world spell checker.

Edited by OlsSalt

I'm hoping for the best with our deck 5 V cabin just 3 aft from the central elevator. I know the verandah will be slightly narrower than forward or aft, but I'm expecting that we will be content to be able to look out to sea with an unobstructed view even though straight down will not be as nice. Most important for me is that we have the smoothest cruise possible for my cruise-newbie friend, while still having that verandah.

I'm hoping for the best with our deck 5 V cabin just 3 aft from the central elevator. I know the verandah will be slightly narrower than forward or aft, but I'm expecting that we will be content to be able to look out to sea with an unobstructed view even though straight down will not be as nice. Most important for me is that we have the smoothest cruise possible for my cruise-newbie friend, while still having that verandah.

I think you will enjoy it....happy cruising!

I'm hoping for the best with our deck 5 V cabin just 3 aft from the central elevator.
My DB and DSiL had 5122 on the N.A. It was fine for them - especially since it was their first cruise ever, and got it as a free upgrade from a booked H! I believe they were fairly priced as VE or VF before the mass re-categorization a few years back, and would never pay a V price for one. I suspect that now a lot of them are given as upgrades to people booking VH guarantees. Location is very convenient, and visual obstruction by a lifeboat is not too bad IMO. :)

Good catch and a good laugh. Particularly since this upsell did lead to an upset. (Dang, it did it again - had to strong-arm it to make it behave.) :cool:

Upsell is certainly in our working vocabulary, but apparently not yet the non-cruise world spell checker.

Do you know that you can add upsell to your browser dictionary and never be bothered by the problem again? ;) Edited by catl331

• 4 years later...
11 hours ago, canadarocks said:

I am the OP and no I would not take this cabin. But apparently others would...as I said four years ago, it is definitely your choice. 

Thanks for the info on this cabin, I never would have guessed from looking at the deck plans.