Trying to understand NCF charges

Optotronics

Optotronics..you are welcome! Nope, not a TA, not even remotely, but I have learned a few tricks over the years, LOL. The database I use is a third party website, which cannot be named here on CC, but it tracks cruise prices for active cruises. No help for cruises which have already sailed...but much better than trying to monitor for price drops on my own.

Yes, google "cruise price drop alerts" and you should see it, among others. CC is usually listed first, but their price drop alert is only done weekly, and this other site does it more frequently based on what people are monitoring.

I have to disagree...NCF is always paid by the passenger. Some TAs may invoice it as a separate line item, but all include it in the total advertised fare just as Princess does. NCF plus the commissionable portion equals the total advertised fare. (So in this case, Princess pays commission on the $6338, not on the $1000 NCF, and the total invoiced and advertised fare is $7338.)

Yes and no. If the OP had booked direct or through the website, he would have been quoted $7338. He would not have been informed of the NCF because Princess does not pay commission to itself.

Since he booked through a TA, the TA's invoice had the fare of $7338 with an NCF of $1000 which informs the TA that Princess is paying commission on $6338. But the fare is the same either way.

The question, why do TAs bother to disclose this information, since it means nothing to most customers, and easily leads to confusion and misunderstandings? I know that some of them use it as a shady tactic to be able to advertise lower fares (the OP's TA may be in this category). But most of the TAs I've dealt with quote the entire fare (not including taxes, of course ;) ), but then they specify that $xxx of that fare is NCCF. I wonder why they do that? Is there anything useful that customers can do with this information?

The question, why do TAs bother to disclose this information, since it means nothing to most customers, and easily leads to confusion and misunderstandings? I know that some of them use it as a shady tactic to be able to advertise lower fares (the OP's TA may be in this category). But most of the TAs I've dealt with quote the entire fare (not including taxes, of course ;) ), but then they specify that $xxx of that fare is NCCF. I wonder why they do that? Is there anything useful that customers can do with this information?

It's really quit simple. All the cruise lines pay TA a commission based upon the fare. Some cruise lines, including Princess, do not pay a commission on all of the fare. That portion of the fare that is not included for commission is the Non Commissionable Fare or NCF.

Some TA will discount the cost of a Princess cruise. (My TA discount is 10%). The discount comes out of her commission. Obviously, she doesn't wish to discount the portion that is NCF.

My TA will tell you up front that she discounts 10%. Her invoice will show the fare and the amount that is NCF so it is easy to calculate the discount.

The TA isn't trying to pull a sneaky. They're trying to be upfront and share the most information they can.

I think you have a particularly transparent TA. In my experience, most don't tell you how they calculate their discount, or promise a particular percentage off every fare, and many don't discount at all compared to the cruise line's pricing. And yet they still often indicate the NCCF.

You don't see NCF on Princess invoices because hey don't pay themselves a commission

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The NCF has nothing to do with commission. They are non-commissionable fares that are charged to every person for docking/tendering in ports and are otherwise known as "port charges". Maybe what you're trying to say is that they have no need to separate it out?

Princess rolls the NCF into the cruise fare. I believe all cruise lines have to do this by law now. Most TAs separate it out because the commission is ONLY payable on the cruise fare - NOT the NCF or port charges.

The NCF has nothing to do with commission. They are non-commissionable fares that are charged to every person for docking/tendering in ports and are otherwise known as "port charges". Maybe what you're trying to say is that they have no need to separate it out?

Princess rolls the NCF into the cruise fare. I believe all cruise lines have to do this by law now. Most TAs separate it out because the commission is ONLY payable on the cruise fare - NOT the NCF or port charges.

I don't think that's the case, if you go to the princess website and look at a cruise, down at the bottom it will show a link "taxes, fees and port expenses" if you read it includes port fees, tendering fees and pretty much everything else. There is no mention of NCF fees at all.

The taxes and fees charges are not ALL the port costs....the bulk of the port costs are actually found in the NCF. NCF by law has to be included in any fare quoted. (Taxes and fees do not).

A TA may or may not break NCF out on an invoice to a client. Princess does not break it out on direct booking invoices because there is no need to. They do break it out for TA's because that is needed to calculate the commission on fare.

A TA may or may not break NCF out on an invoice to a client. Princess does not break it out on direct booking invoices because there is no need to. They do break it out for TA's because that is needed to calculate the commission on fare.

The TA may forward to you the confirmation from the cruise line which will include the breakdown of the fare including NCF info.