Cruise staff quarters

Gampy1967

I tried to search first and could not find anything and could not tel from the layouts, but what floors/ levels do the staff usually room on? I would imagine the captain is different than the regular staff but was wondering if anyone knew. The Dawn in particular. Thanks.

I tried to search first and could not find anything and could not tel from the layouts, but what floors/ levels do the staff usually room on? I would imagine the captain is different than the regular staff but was wondering if anyone knew. The Dawn in particular. Thanks.

Captains Quarters are next to the bridge on Dawn.

The captain and some other bridge officers have cabins behind the bridge on Deck 11 (look at the big white space on the deck plan, the front part is the bridge, but there is also space for several cabins/suites). The crew quarters are on the lower decks, probably all the white space on Deck 4, and below. It would be neat to see the complete deck plans of one of these ships.

If you walk around the passenger decks (usually all the way forward) you may see cabins that say "guest entertainer" etc. on them.

The captain and some other bridge officers have cabins behind the bridge on Deck 11 (look at the big white space on the deck plan, the front part is the bridge, but there is also space for several cabins/suites). The crew quarters are on the lower decks, probably all the white space on Deck 4, and below. It would be neat to see the complete deck plans of one of these ships.

If you walk around the passenger decks (usually all the way forward) you may see cabins that say "guest entertainer" etc. on them.

90% of the crew have cabins on the decks below the lowest passenger cabin deck. Upper tiers of ship's deck officers (as opposed to hotel officers) have cabins behind the bridge. As mentioned above, you can sometimes find cabins marked off as "Ship's Guest" or "Entertainer."

Crew quarters for department managers are usually on the same deck as the gangway used in port of call and the one below that for the rest of the crew. Officers quarters are scatter thru out the ship depending on their department. Officers and Managers typically have single quarters and the rest of the crew are anywhere from 2-4 per cabin. A typical crew cabin contains bunk bed, two small cupboards and a desk. The washroom contains a sink, toilet and small shower, but the shower is typically just enclosed by a curtain. You can use all three at the same time [emoji12]. I was flabbergasted when I saw my son's crew cabin as to how small a space a person lives in for 6 months at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As posters have said, senior officers (staff Captain, cruise director, Captain, chief engineer and hotel director) are just aft of the bridge.

Supervisors, departmenter heads are scattered around the ship with similar cabins to ours.

The entertainment staff have varied accommodation including guest cabins.

The lower ranking staff as one poster said are typically below deck 4. These areas will not have carpeted floors as such do to maritime regulations. Number per cabin varies by rank and ship. For example , Dawn has more multiple crew per cabin compared to the Epic which has very high % of single crew cabins.

On most ships the officers have a separate officer mess from the crew. On the Breakaway class it is all one crew mess on deck 5. There was a decent food selection, however not the garden buffet.

The crew has to maintain a certain level of cabin housekeeping which is verified by inspections.

I have been fortunate to see crew areas on several NCL ships. Most navy veterans will tell you still better crew berthing as it is called, the military vessels.

Couple of points. Carpeting is not forbidden in crew areas by maritime regulation, it is just not provided for ease of cleaning and because the crew "don't rate it" in corporate eyes.

Yes, crew berthing is better than military vessels, particularly the older ones with the massive communal bathrooms. However, many crew singles and doubles will only have a sink in the cabin, and will share a toilet and shower with the adjoining single or double.

On the Dawn, crew berthing starts at deck 4 and goes down from there to decks 2 and 3. Some ships have crew cabins forward on higher decks like 5 and 6, but not on the Dawn, with the exception as noted of the area behind the bridge.

Some crew cabins hold up to 6. A typical 4 person cabin is about 9' x 12', holding two sets of bunk beds (with one drawer per person under them), 4 lockers, a 2' wide desk, and a bathroom.

Singles can range from the Captain's suite of stateroom, day room, conference room and office, to a shared bathroom single where you can stand in the middle and touch all 4 walls with your outstretched arms. I've had Philippino 3rd Engineers who lived in those small singles, with their wives, for 10 months at a time.

That ecplsind all of the white space on the diagrams. Especially on deck 4.

That ecplsind all of the white space on the diagrams. Especially on deck 4.

Not all of the white spaces are crew berthing. Particularly on the decks where the passenger cabins are, the "white space" that runs down the middle between the inboard cabins is A/C air handler rooms. Some "white space" is machinery space where the engine exhausts and air intakes run down from the funnel. Some are pool equipment rooms, some are crew stairs and elevators, some are linen lockers, some are steward pantries and some are room service galleys.