Neil R - P&O Oceana - comments sought

MMDownunder – the trip was this year, and the itinerary was perfect.

To give you some background, I’m in my early 40’s, and this was my 28th cruise - I have done Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, Cunard, RCI, Princess and of course P&O Australia.

The trip was done with my sister, partner and mother (a very fit 74 year old). We had two Oceanview cabins on D Deck (With the big windows). We completed a week of travelling Italy on our own before we embarked the ship in Venice.

The trip was actually two sailing merged into one, with the majority of passengers getting on and off in Genoa. The Itinerary was perfect with 4 sea days over the 14 nights. P&O UK would be very similar to Princess (Could be because the OCEANA is a Sun class vessel). However, the entertainment was fantastic, food was good, and the ship was in good condition.

The Ports were great – I would recommend doing ships tours in Livorno, and Civitavecchia for the only reason that it was very hard to get off the ship. At both ports Tours got preference getting off the ship, and you had to use the ports shuttles to get to the port gates (These did not start until the majority of the tours had left). Otherwise, the ship pulls into locations that are centrally located enough to do you own thing. Also, the ship did leave some ports quite late, which allowed you to have dinner on shore (The Italian food is unbeatable!)

One world of warning getting on board in Venice – the only transfer P&O had in Venice was for the Fly In Passengers from the UK (This is their bread and butter). The berth OCEANA used in Venice was a VERY long walk from the people mover; otherwise you had to orgainse a Taxi (The day we got on only 400 passengers embarked). The positive was that on the day we got off, we had to disembark at 930am, but we were allowed to put our bags into left luggage and re board the ship (This was a first for us). We were then able to stay on board until 2pm – which was perfect as we had a 2.30pm train to Milan.

I saw a special from a travel agent via email today with 17 day package including air fares for 3500 leaving in August, and let me tell you my partner and I are actually seeing if we can get the time off and do it again – that is how good it was.

If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask – cheers Neil

Marion

I just checked which ships are in port on our itineary. Rome is a nightmare. The number after the date is the number of passengers.

Which ships are in port

22-Sep-15 2016 Oceana Venice

23-Sep-15 2016 Oceana Venice

25-Sep-15 2016 Oceana Kotor

26-Sep-15 4108 Oceana, Queen Elizabeth Corfu

28-Sep-15 18924 Vision Of The Seas, Celebrity Equinox, Costa Pacifica, Oceana, Island Princess, MSC Sinfonia, Costa Fascinosa Rome

29-Sep-15 2016 Oceana Monaco

30-Sep-15 5029 Oceana, MSC Orchestra Genoa

01-Oct-15 2016 Oceana Florence

03-Oct-15 2809 Prinsendam, Oceana Naples

05-Oct-15 3282 Ryndam, Oceana Dubrovnik

06-Oct-15 4120 Oceana, Nieuw Amsterdam Venice

07-Oct-15 4120 Oceana, Nieuw Amsterdam Venice

Edited by icat2000

Marion

I just checked which ships are in port on our itineary. Rome is a nightmare. The number after the date is the number of passengers.

Which ships are in port

22-Sep-15 2016 Oceana Venice

23-Sep-15 2016 Oceana Venice

25-Sep-15 2016 Oceana Kotor

26-Sep-15 4108 Oceana, Queen Elizabeth Corfu

28-Sep-15 18924 Vision Of The Seas, Celebrity Equinox, Costa Pacifica, Oceana, Island Princess, MSC Sinfonia, Costa Fascinosa Rome

29-Sep-15 2016 Oceana Monaco

30-Sep-15 5029 Oceana, MSC Orchestra Genoa

01-Oct-15 2016 Oceana Florence

03-Oct-15 2809 Prinsendam, Oceana Naples

05-Oct-15 3282 Ryndam, Oceana Dubrovnik

06-Oct-15 4120 Oceana, Nieuw Amsterdam Venice

07-Oct-15 4120 Oceana, Nieuw Amsterdam Venice

Thanks for all that good passenger data, Sarah. You are way ahead of me. I wonder if that is a normal summer figure for Rome, as I would have thought it would have been less at that time of year. Fortunately, as I've stayed in Rome several times, I had already decided to do something local.

That's only 7 ships in Civitavecchia...thats normal and the port will cope very well . You wont even notice the crowds. They run shuttle buses around to the ships ,....make sure you get on the right one as the ships will be docked on both sides of the harbour.The trains to Rome are coming and going as soon as they are filled , so you won.t have to wait long.

For Livorno the trip to Cinque Terre is very good , if you have not been before. Its a full day , so its best to take the ships tour.....expensive, but worth every penny.

MMDownunder – the trip was this year, and the itinerary was perfect.

To give you some background, I’m in my early 40’s, and this was my 28th cruise - I have done Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, Cunard, RCI, Princess and of course P&O Australia.

The trip was done with my sister, partner and mother (a very fit 74 year old). We had two Oceanview cabins on D Deck (With the big windows). We completed a week of travelling Italy on our own before we embarked the ship in Venice.

The trip was actually two sailing merged into one, with the majority of passengers getting on and off in Genoa. The Itinerary was perfect with 4 sea days over the 14 nights. P&O UK would be very similar to Princess (Could be because the OCEANA is a Sun class vessel). However, the entertainment was fantastic, food was good, and the ship was in good condition.

The Ports were great – I would recommend doing ships tours in Livorno, and Civitavecchia for the only reason that it was very hard to get off the ship. At both ports Tours got preference getting off the ship, and you had to use the ports shuttles to get to the port gates (These did not start until the majority of the tours had left). Otherwise, the ship pulls into locations that are centrally located enough to do you own thing. Also, the ship did leave some ports quite late, which allowed you to have dinner on shore (The Italian food is unbeatable!)

One world of warning getting on board in Venice – the only transfer P&O had in Venice was for the Fly In Passengers from the UK (This is their bread and butter). The berth OCEANA used in Venice was a VERY long walk from the people mover; otherwise you had to orgainse a Taxi (The day we got on only 400 passengers embarked). The positive was that on the day we got off, we had to disembark at 930am, but we were allowed to put our bags into left luggage and re board the ship (This was a first for us). We were then able to stay on board until 2pm – which was perfect as we had a 2.30pm train to Milan.

I saw a special from a travel agent via email today with 17 day package including air fares for 3500 leaving in August, and let me tell you my partner and I are actually seeing if we can get the time off and do it again – that is how good it was.

If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask – cheers Neil

Thank you very much for your comments, Neil, which are much appreciated. Nice to know someone who obviously enjoyed the ship and cruised so recently. I guessed the cruise was 2x7 day b2b cruises, as Genoa is a cruise hub. I will no doubt have questions later.

Re a return cruise, you may find August too hot and too crowded, being summer, when many Europeans take their summer holidays.

Why not join us at the end of September, when the weather will be milder?

Edited by MMDown Under

That's only 7 ships in Civitavecchia...thats normal and the port will cope very well . You wont even notice the crowds. They run shuttle buses around to the ships ,....make sure you get on the right one as the ships will be docked on both sides of the harbour.The trains to Rome are coming and going as soon as they are filled , so you won.t have to wait long.

For Livorno the trip to Cinque Terre is very good , if you have not been before. Its a full day , so its best to take the ships tour.....expensive, but worth every penny.

David - I can't see any excurison out of Livorno for Cinque Terre. But found this under Genoa

Paradise GulfRef: GEN_019

You’ll be transferred by coach from Genoa to the charming seaside town of Camogli. Upon arrival, follow your guide for a walking tour of the historic centre. This colourful town on the Riviera is home to many well-preserved buildings that typify features of an antique fortress.

As you cruise along the Ligurian Coast, to Portofino, marvel at the picturesque scenery of rugged cliffs and secluded coves. Pause for photos at the bay in front of the village of San Fruttuoso. The imposing Benedictine Monastery and Doria Tower are said to date back to the 13th century. You’ll be offered local white wine and focaccia bread as you cruise along the coastline taking in the scenery.

Have your cameras at the ready for the picturesque arrival to Portofino, an exclusive resort favoured by the international jet set. Join your guide for a tour of the Piazzetta and up to the Church of St George, and afterwards you’ll have approximately 1 hour of free time to browse the shops or sit in a near by café and watch the world go by.

Essential Information

This excursion operates by coach, boat and on foot.This tour is dependent on favourable sea conditions. There are approximately 40 steps from the coach to the town of Camogli. In the interest of safety, whilst cruising, the wine is served in plastic cups. Please be advised that there will be approximately 1 hour of optional walking on slightly inclined surfaces.

is that the one you are referring too. Its 65.00 Pounds per person.

David - I can't see any excurison out of Livorno for Cinque Terre. But found this under Genoa

Paradise GulfRef: GEN_019

You’ll be transferred by coach from Genoa to the charming seaside town of Camogli. Upon arrival, follow your guide for a walking tour of the historic centre. This colourful town on the Riviera is home to many well-preserved buildings that typify features of an antique fortress.

As you cruise along the Ligurian Coast, to Portofino, marvel at the picturesque scenery of rugged cliffs and secluded coves. Pause for photos at the bay in front of the village of San Fruttuoso. The imposing Benedictine Monastery and Doria Tower are said to date back to the 13th century. You’ll be offered local white wine and focaccia bread as you cruise along the coastline taking in the scenery.

Have your cameras at the ready for the picturesque arrival to Portofino, an exclusive resort favoured by the international jet set. Join your guide for a tour of the Piazzetta and up to the Church of St George, and afterwards you’ll have approximately 1 hour of free time to browse the shops or sit in a near by café and watch the world go by.

Essential Information

This excursion operates by coach, boat and on foot.This tour is dependent on favourable sea conditions. There are approximately 40 steps from the coach to the town of Camogli. In the interest of safety, whilst cruising, the wine is served in plastic cups. Please be advised that there will be approximately 1 hour of optional walking on slightly inclined surfaces.

Thanks for your recommendation, David, as I was planning to visit Cinque Terre from Livorno. I have researched visiting several times, but it never came off for a variety of reasons (weather and I loved Genoa too much to leave).

No. Portofino is further along the coast. Not been there but I believe its just as picturesque. Sounds like a nice tour.

Thanks for your recommendation, David, as I was planning to visit Cinque Terre from Livorno. I have researched visiting several times, but it never came off for a variety of reasons (weather and I loved Genoa too much to leave).

For the one we did we left Livorno in a coach and travelled a long way on the Autostrada(?) then through a long tunnel and came out at La Spezia. From there up onto the hills to our first village. Each bus was divided into 2 groups as the rest of the tour was on foot. Extra guides met us in La Spezia. We then had to walk down very steep and narrow steps to the fishing village . Then walked through another tunnel to the next village, then along the coast on the "Lovers Track " to the next one where we boarded a boat...we had to jump on board from the rocks....and then cruised back past the villages to No 5 where we spent a few hours before boarding the train back to La Spezia where the coach picked us up again. It was a big day , but more than worth it.

September sounds nice, but I am thinking a week in Hawaii or a short cruise from Australia - the thought of flying to Europe again is to much.

Let me know if you have other questions - Neil

I agree that 2 long haul flights in one year is one too many.

Hawaii is lovely in September, if you haven't visited.

I'm tripping at present, but will have questions on my return.