Back to backs and What to do in Piraeus

CoSec

For the first time in our 4 years of Seabourn cruising we are doing a back to back, with the first leg ending in Piraeus. We have embarked here and also disembarked, but not continued aboard. Any general tips or observations on what it is like on a "changeover" day where one is staying on, and specifically any ideas about what to to do in Piraeus? We have "done" central Athens and whilst we could just stay aboard we are not sure what that would be like on such a day and the times we have ended a cruise at Piraeus we have been moored alongside a multi-storey car park, so the ambience of a day aboard....?

Last year on the Odyssey, we hired a local taxi (George Taxi Tours) and took a morning trip to Cape Sounion. It was wonderful.

We were back for lunch (we also went to the temple at Vavrona, but that it probably only for archaeology geeks). Then a great afternoon on board, and then (after drill) Seabourn arranged an early evening cocktail party for all transit guests on the back deck behind The Club

There is not a lot to do in the immediate area, but if you are creative you will find some pseudo shopping/dining/drinking to pass a few hours. Back in 2011 we arrived in Athens at the beginning of the austerity measure actions. From one day to the next you didn't know who would be striking or protesting or exactly where. Luckily our hotel had a fabulous view of the Acropolis as that was as close as we got. It was closed during 1-1/2 day we had prior to boarding.

Taxi strikes were hit or miss, so I arranged with the hotel to have a pick-up at around noon to be safe. Car came right on time, no detours were encountered and we were at the port by 12:30. Back then 2:00 boarding was still in effect, so we dropped off our luggage and wandered about 3/4 of a mile back to an Irish pub I had spied from the cab. A lovely young Irish bartender was at the taps, having just relocated to Athens a few months earlier. We enjoyed a couple of pints and then returned after boarding had begun. Interesting find in an unlikely place.

Last year on the Odyssey, we hired a local taxi (George Taxi Tours) and took a morning trip to Cape Sounion. It was wonderful.

We were back for lunch (we also went to the temple at Vavrona, but that it probably only for archaeology geeks). Then a great afternoon on board, and then (after drill) Seabourn arranged an early evening cocktail party for all transit guests on the back deck behind The Club

I was just about to post suggesting Cape Sounion. For those who haven't been, if you google 'full moon Cape Sounion' and look at Images,you'll get a taster. Obviously you won't be there at night though :D If your driver takes the coast road you'll pass through some interesting beach resorts on the way there. I probably wouldn't recommend this on a summer Sunday afternoon though, as the traffic can be horrendous.

The brave would consider taking a ferry from Piraeus to Aegina, which is a lovely and relatively unspoilt Greek island in the Saronic Gulf about an hour from Piraeus depending on catamaran/hydrofoil/ferry. However, I'd be too nervous about something going wrong and not getting back to the ship in time.

Staying on board is fine. The crew will be busy but of course the ship will be relatively quiet until lunch time.

Edited to add : the especially brave may also consider a trip to either Poros or Hydra, two other islands quite close to Piraeus, but further than Aegina. Hydra is quite charming, although not as pretty as Aegina and Poros.

Edited by Nigella

We also have a mid-cruise stop

In Athens (on Jul 18). Having been to Athens a number of times, we are thinking about hiring a private taxi to take us to the Archeological Museum (not the new Acropolis one), then maybe lunch somewhere or just back to the ship. Not sure. I thought about Cape Sounion but read that the ruin is pretty small compared to other ruins will have/will see. Still thinking though.

We also have a mid-cruise stop

In Athens (on Jul 18). Having been to Athens a number of times, we are thinking about hiring a private taxi to take us to the Archeological Museum (not the new Acropolis one), then maybe lunch somewhere or just back to the ship. Not sure. I thought about Cape Sounion but read that the ruin is pretty small compared to other ruins will have/will see. Still thinking though.

Cape Sounion is worth a visit but probably best done using one of the very economical tour buses that service the hotels and ply this route. Just search for a tour on the web.

Have you been to the newish (6 years old now) incredible Acropolis Museum. I have been going to Athens for 39 years and this is the best museum and well worth visiting. you can do this and still be back to watch all the newbies boarding.

All, thanks for the helpful tips and suggestions. Cape Sounion sounds worth serious consideration. We have been to the Acroplis museum: stunning. Helpful as well to know about what goes on aboard for those staying on for the next leg.

We had a stop in Athens a couple of years ago and just about every mode of transportation was on strike, including taxis. However, the hop-on-hop-off bus was still running from Piraeus and connecting with other hop-on-hop-off buses in the center of Athens. It might be an option especially if things get as bad as when we were there.

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed one night in Piraeus before boarding the Odyssey and discovered it is a very pretty part of Athens. There is a beautiful marina called Zea where you can see yachts tied up and there is a whole row of little restaurants for a bite or a drink. Not sure if it is exactly walking distance to the cruise port but it is a few minutes away by taxi. Plus there is an enormous carrefour if you need to stock up on any supplies. Something different if you just want a little walk near to the ship.

When my husband and I were on a B2B we approached the taxi drivers and found one, happily, who became our guide du jour. We spent the better part of the day, including a just-caught seafood lunch, in Piraeus, enjoying the local scene and fresh on-shore breezes, strolling the docks and having a relaxing Greek day. Piraeus is delightful on its own; we enjoyed interacting with the seamen there. (My husband was an avid fisherman which probably enhanced our visit).

There is a market next to the train/metro station about a 15 minute walk from where the ship docks. The streets all around the market carry all sorts of food items, including olive oil.

Edited by Chairsin