Shore excursions in Jerusalem and Luxor

Norski7

do a search on the O website for cruises that are sailing in the next few months that include those 2. Then look at what excursions are offered.

O typically offers several for Jerusalem and area. Hope it is an itinerary that has an overnight in Haifa so that you can chose more than one shorex.

Luxor is a long day if you don't take the shorex that includes an overnight, or think about getting a private excursion there and spending the night at one of the many hotels.

I will play devil's advocate here ... we spent four days in Jerusalem 10 days ago on a 2 week trip through Israel with my husband's licensed guide cousin. This was a special trip indeed! The one private car in a parking lot filled with tour buses ... just about everywhere.

So I am negative about tours that take you in one day to Jerusalem and then someplace else. Which is what many agencies seem to offer.

If you think you won't be able to return for a land visit, by all means do what you can. Jerusalem is a fascinating city, worth a week on its own.

Just don't try to see too much in one day. That's all I'm saying ... I always prefer to see fewer things in more detail rather than lots of things sketchily.

Is that a word?

Luxor is about four hours each way (depending on traffic) from Safaga, where you will likely dock. There is so much to see, between Karnak and Luxor Temples and the Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut Temple. We were there this past April and I arranged for a private overnight tour for a group of 11 from our ship. Price was $275 a person including guide, hotel, all meals except dinner and transportation with an armed guard. Less than 1/2 of what O charges. I used Ramasside Tours and they were excellent (ask for Mohammed to be your guide - one of the best guides we have ever yhad). Flawless in every way. Even with staying overnight in Luxor it was still a very LONG two days. But oh so much to see!!!!

For Jerusalem I also arranged for an overnight tour, the drive from Haifa is around 90 minutes and there is so much to see (and so much more to see on a future visit). People on our cruise who did the one day to Jerusalem from Haifa with O said that they didn't see much. I used local guide Moki Schwartz and he handled all the arrangements for hotel, etc. He did a great job of arranging the tour so that it was mostly downhill as we had a couple folks in our group with some mobility issues. Enthusiastic guide.

Joe