Do we have to clear Customs & Immigration in Boston if our last port is Bar Harbor?

loretta

Cruising in the Veendam in late August and am curious if we have to go through customs & immigration again when we disembark in Boston. The last port we visit is Bar Harbor and we definitely have to go through it there. Never been on a cruise that had a US port stop before disembarking in the states.

Cruising in the Veendam in late August and am curious if we have to go through customs & immigration again when we disembark in Boston. The last port we visit is Bar Harbor and we definitely have to go through it there. Never been on a cruise that had a US port stop before disembarking in the states.

You'll probably go through immigration in Bar Harbor and customs when you get back to Boston.

We did a version of a similar cruise several years (like 10!) ago. If memory services, CBP and/or ICE boarded in Bar Harbor and we cleared everything on our last sea day. That could have changed!

I found it odd that we didn't clear anything in Bar Harbor, at least that I can recall. You could have walked to the post office with anything you'd bought in Canada...

In my experience having done a number of cruises with this type of itinerary is that CBP changes the procedures from time to time. Most of the time you're going to do an immigration clearance at the first US stop and a customs clearance at your disembarkation port but I was on one cruise where no immigration clearance was done in Bar Harbor and both immigration and customs were done at disembarkation. I thought that was odd, but in thinking about it I've seen the same thing done in the Caribbean where St. Thomas was the first US port call after visiting foreign ports but no clearance was done there and both immigration and customs were done at the end of the cruise in Miami.

Thanks for the quick reply. It might speed up disembarkation if we only have to do Customs.

In my experience, immigration and customs are handled at the same time, i.e. you only wait in one line, at cruise ports, so I'm not sure having cleared immigration in Bar Harbor will save you much time if you still have to clear customs upon arrival in Boston.

Thanks for the variety of responses! I'll just go with the flow. I booked a later tour in Bar Harbor and my flight out of Boston isn't until 1:00 pm so I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere in either place.