Are smart Chinos OK with jacket on informal night

Delbankin

I wonder what the party line would be if someone were to attend a formal night in the formal attire of a different culture. For example, if I were Japanese could I attend in my finest formal traditional Japanese outfit? Or is the dress code inflexible in that it only recognises, essentially, white, Anglo-Saxon custom?

On another cruise line a young couple attended the formal night in exquisite traditional Japanese dress which, at first, caused the Maitre d' to suggest they might like to change into the costume designated by the formal night dress code (penguin suit etc). Fortunately other passengers came to the defence of this young couple who enjoyed not only a fine dinner but a certain positive notoriety thenceforth. They were, without question, the best dressed couple on the ship that night.

Edited by Tothesunset

We had a large party of Japanese ***** our QE cruise last week, on the formal nights several of the ladies wore the traditional dress. It was wonderful to see, and they did not have any problem entering the Princess Grill.

We did see passengers arriving for breakfast after the 9 am finish time, and there was a quite heated exchange one morning from a Brit.

I wonder what the party line would be if someone were to attend a formal night in the formal attire of a different culture. For example, if I were Japanese could I attend in my finest formal traditional Japanese outfit? Or is the dress code inflexible in that it only recognises, essentially, white, Anglo-Saxon custom?

On another cruise line a young couple attended the formal night in exquisite traditional Japanese dress which, at first, caused the Maitre d' to suggest they might like to change into the costume designated by the formal night dress code (penguin suit etc). Fortunately other passengers came to the defence of this young couple who enjoyed not only a fine dinner but a certain positive notoriety thenceforth. They were, without question, the best dressed couple on the ship that night.

From Cunards's web site, addressing the very subject of national dress:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/po_national_dress

I've seen formal National Dress of various nations (incl. Indian, Japanese, Scottish, to name only three I can remember this morning) worn on formal evenings on board QM2.

They received only admiring looks and positive comments (that I saw/heard). The passengers concerned had quite obviously gone to a great deal of expense and trouble to look their very best, and put me (in my simple "black tie") to shame.

I hope to see more on future crossings/cruises.

I'd have no problem with the Bowler or Fedora, but please don't sit next to me at the Bar Top in the Commodore or Chart Room ( pre dinner cocktails) in your cheese cutter . Save it for when you are doing a bit of maintenance work around and about your back yard. ;)

Now that sent my coffee over the keyboard Bell Boy.

Cracking retort.

From Cunards's web site, addressing the very subject of national dress:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/po_national_dress

Splendid. I wish I were Japanese, Indian, Samoan or something then I could wear something elegant on formal nights rather than the most boring formal dress the human mind could conceive.

Splendid. I wish I were Japanese, Indian, Samoan or something then I could wear something elegant on formal nights rather than the most boring formal dress the human mind could conceive.

Oh I don't know.

You're free e to add a bit of colour now and again...

11187894645_e4b5de673e_z.jpg

19672737868_4b0a76e698_z.jpg

just back from QE

2 weeks Canaries

this new more informal d/c was a new to me as our last Cunard trip was QM2 was Dec 2013

have been on QV twice and QE 3 times before

all in Britannia dining which is superb for what we pay and get to dine in such lovely rooms

re the dress code OP - this is IMHO

chinos with jacket NO:mad: - wear a nice pair of trousers with a smart jacket doesn't have to be a suit but make a stance with a nice jacket combo

chinos are day wear on board

polo shirt iso of a tailored shirt under the jacket NO:mad:

a short sleeved collared shirt is OK :)

saw all of the above last week and those underrepresented looked out of place and stood out from the rest of us - make an effort - makes you feel good:)

if you are tired one night then sure dress causal and go to the Lido/kings court to eat but you cannot then go to the bars and show (but some did and saw shorts and sandals in the midships bar at 9pm)

just back from QE

2 weeks Canaries

this new more informal d/c was a new to me as our last Cunard trip was QM2 was Dec 2013

have been on QV twice and QE 3 times before

all in Britannia dining which is superb for what we pay and get to dine in such lovely rooms

re the dress code OP - this is IMHO

chinos with jacket NO:mad: - wear a nice pair of trousers with a smart jacket doesn't have to be a suit but make a stance with a nice jacket combo

chinos are day wear on board

polo shirt iso of a tailored shirt under the jacket NO:mad:

a short sleeved collared shirt is OK :)

saw all of the above last week and those underrepresented looked out of place and stood out from the rest of us - make an effort - makes you feel good:)

if you are tired one night then sure dress causal and go to the Lido/kings court to eat but you cannot then go to the bars and show (but some did and saw shorts and sandals in the midships bar at 9pm)

I am happy on non formal nights with blazer, tie, polo shirt perhaps and Chinos !!

Cunard should be happy with that too, but perhaps not the Cunard Traditionalists, but they are not the Dress Code Police, the Restaurant Managers/Maitre'D's/Head Waiters are.