Are smart Chinos OK with jacket on informal night

Delbankin

What is a whippet?

I must confess that I have used a polo shirt with a tie on a formal night once. I had forgotten my black button down shirt and i was going to wear all black. I have to admit that no one noticed or at least said anything. Is this a confession? ? Might be a good for my fashion soul?? :eek:

What is a whippet?

Man with a whippet (a breed of dog) wearing a flat cap:

37357_1.jpg

Flat caps and whippets is a joke people from the south of England make about people from the north of England.

And you just thought this was a cruise forum !! It's an education into life in the UK :)

If I could slightly hi-jack the thread, but in my defence it is related.

Would it be acceptable to wear a polo (collared 't-shirt) with a jacket on non formal nights? As per current style/fashion and not scruffy but a smart 'knitted' shirt.

Thanks.

Done it many times; the only people who will say otherwise are some of the posters here who seem quite traditional in their views.

What is a whippet?

I must confess that I have used a polo shirt with a tie on a formal night once. I had forgotten my black button down shirt and i was going to wear all black. I have to admit that no one noticed or at least said anything. Is this a confession? ? Might be a good for my fashion soul?? :eek:

On board no one will say anything, they are quite bolder here however. If you forget your jacket on an informal night, sometimes but not always the assistant maitre will politely remind you to go find one. I once saw a gent in a racy dress with a plunging neckline on formal night but no one said a word in the Princess Grill. Also there is the rather older lady who wears the sun glasses and micro mini skirts which I am sure many of you have seen. I think it adds interest and character to the penguin party on formal nights.

Surely you mean removed immediately you step indoors from the promenade or outside deck?

That "cheese cutter" in the above photo looks similar to a "flat cap" as many of us would say in the UK. Very popular with all ages from Victorian times until the 60s... fell from favour, but is now often seen, esp on young people (which is probably why I don't own one! :D )

(I saw one guy many cruises ago wearing full "white tie and tails" on formal nights. Including silver-topped cane, white gloves, scarlet silk-lined cape and very shiny top hat.

Sadly, because of his age, tall thin frame and receding hairline he looked less like a bad magician... and more like Bela Lugosi in an Ed Wood "masterpiece" :D .

Had he ditched the cape, cane, and most esp the hat, while indoors, he would have looked very smart... )

Best wishes :)

No, actually I would come down from the room & remove the hat upon entering the rest. I know some take umbrage to that..oh well. I look at walking in the ship as the samne as walking down to a fine dining rest. or to a show.

Only this summer I witnessed a man in polo shirt without jacket being challenged in the Queens Grill restaurant at dinner. How he got to his table without censure l am not certain but the Senior Maître D' dealt with him thereafter and requested his compliance with the dress code. Mr. Polo then left his chair swiftly and stormed by grumbling under his breath but was soon back wearing an appropriate jacket to continue his dinner.

I take from that incident that jacket is essential and polo shirt under jacket is tolerated. For what it is worth, I do not wear a polo shirt under my jacket to dinner but opt for a more traditional shirt with collar and cuffs.

M-AR

Obviously another clod(who KNEW the dress codes) and was trying to see what he could get away with it. Good to see the Maître D properly enforcing the rules. I can't stand these clods on other cruise threads, who "interpret" the dress codes as only a "suggestion" & therefore feels justified in ignoring said dress codes.

37357_1.jpg

Flat caps and whippets is a joke people from the south of England make about people from the north of England.

And you just thought this was a cruise forum !! It's an education into life in the UK :)

Plenty of people have Whippets here in New England.

37357_1.jpg

Think you'll find that's a greyhound.

Are greyhounds and whippets obliged to wear Black Tie on formal nights.
The short answer is "No", Tothesunset.

They keep themselves to themselves (both being quite haughty breeds) and dine "en-suite" every evening (formal or not), in their exclusive Deck 12 Penthouse Suite.

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

No, actually I would come down from the room & remove the hat upon entering the rest. I know some take umbrage to that..oh well. I look at walking in the ship as the samne as walking down to a fine dining rest. or to a show.

Forgive me Keithm, but i don't understand how you interpret formal as requiring a bowler hat. Bowler hats were worn originally by gamekeepers, factory foremen, plumbers and other tradesmen before being taken up by 'City Gents'. As far as I understand headgear of any description is not required with a dinner-suit. Unless of course you are Fred Astaire and in full evening fig.

Just curious.

MM

Thank you for your replies.

It just goes to show ask one question and get two different answers.

I have no intention of upsetting people by wearing the wrong thing.

Carlmm, your further explanation is interesting, if a tie is optional then it doesn't have to be worn ergo if the item doesn't have to be worn does the shirt it doesn't have to be worn with have to accommodate that item?

For instance a nehru/mandarin collared shirt is not worn with a tie so is it a shirt by Cunard standard?

I think I will take some polo's which can be worn day or night and see what others are doing so as not to upset/annoy others.

I think this post and the answers just show what a diverse range of people we are these days when it comes to fashions.....as a middle age Brit I interpret this ( on my husband's behalf!) as most definitely a standard shirt under a jacket........the thought of him in a polo shirt under a jacket makes us giggle....it just wouldn't be a good look!

However I have seen that lots of people are wearing this look at the moment........I shouldn't be earlobe and say the younger generation but I will........same with the headgear.....it may not be traditional but it can look smart ..........since Cunard changed the semi formal and elegant casual rules I think it is very difficult to criticise people for merely interpreting the rules as they feel appropriate .

I love to see people nicely groomed and making an effort to dress for dinner......that to me is more important than what they actually wear

Ties have really fallen out of favour in the UK recently. For example, I'm currently working 1 or sometimes 2 days a week in London at the moment in districts with a high concentration of offices and businesses and whilst most men are in suits (at trousers and jackets), hardly any have a tie on. I've not worn one for ages at work now - three piece suit quite often, but no tie.

Thanks for reply, same in the 'Business Sector' in Australia, most companies do not insist on a tie. With a decent shirt with decent collar going tieless with a jacket looks fine to me.

I was on P&O UK - Aurora/Oriana last year, they had 3 dress codes, smart casual - shirt and slacks. Jacket night, Jacket and slacks, tie optional. And formal, dinner suit or dark business suit. I believe currently P&O UK has done away with the jacket night, just smart casual and formal now, like Princess and others, excepting Cunard of course.

Alibobs, As hubby is 63 I will take it as a compliment equating his dress sense to that of a younger generation!!!

As I have said we are not trying to break rule just understand them fully and once again thanks for all your help in answering my question.

It's interesting that many people ask how can people get dress code wrong when it is there in black and white in the brochure but 'shirt' and 'jacket' does cover a lot of different options.

Forgive me Keithm, but i don't understand how you interpret formal as requiring a bowler hat. Bowler hats were worn originally by gamekeepers, factory foremen, plumbers and other tradesmen before being taken up by 'City Gents'. As far as I understand headgear of any description is not required with a dinner-suit. Unless of course you are Fred Astaire and in full evening fig.

Just curious.

MM

Just my own little "shtick", I guess. While no US pax said much, the Brits seemed to like it quite a bit. We had a guy on the QV who did the whole top hat & tails. Rather overdone, but it still looked pretty cool. The guy looked a little bit like Brad Pitt(later 20's)

Thanks for reply, same in the 'Business Sector' in Australia, most companies do not insist on a tie.

In California, ties and jackets would actually be a faux pas in most companies except banks and law offices. (And even in most banks "business casual" rules.) In most tech offices in SF, jeans, cargo shorts, t-shirts and hoodies are the rule, and when interviewing I dress-up with khakis and collared long-sleeve shirt.

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF