How smart for embarkation?

Scriv

A friend going on a cruise for the first time has asked how smart or casual people tend to be as they embark..... what do I say?

I know there is always a mix and match as some have travelled a long way and want to be comfortable and casual, some have to wear their smart clothes for packing reasons, some want to dress up a bit for a sense of occasion especially if this is a special event to them whereas some wouldn't even think about it.

I know there are no rules, but I just wondered what folks on here would say?

Edited by Scriv

This is just me, but with the need to go through security, taking shoes off, removing belts, etc. I like to dress fairly casually and comfortably. I also like to put all the items I might normally carry in my pockets keys, wallet etc. into a compartment in my hand luggage it saves hunting through your pockets to find which one has that loose set of keys that is setting the metal detectors off.

Edited by Hatters cruiser

I wouldn't even think about dressing up. We'll be driving a long way and then possibly waiting around in the cruise terminal so I'll be in lightweight comfortable clothes and definitely comfortable shoes. There is plenty of time for dressing up while on the ship [emoji6]. I can't say I've ever noticed what others are wearing so I'm guessing it couldn't have been too different.

Edited by moqui_girl

Same here ... I just wanted to make sure I was not alone in my views.

Trouble is, they had seen a neighbour setting off all dolled up and had wondered!

I hadn't thought about the MDR and the bags not arriving scenario though????

Edited by Scriv

Same here ... I just wanted to make sure I was not alone in my views.

Trouble is, they had seen a neighbour setting off all dolled up and had wondered!

I hadn't thought about the MDR and the bags not arriving scenario though????

Some like to dress.

Just knowing I'll be standing in line for honks I want to be comfortable.

I think the main thing is to be comfortable.

Honestly who cares how you look, nobody knows what you've been through to get to the ship.

Once on the ship, take a quick shower have a change of clothes and grab a cocktail and enjoy the crujise :)

We tend to do smart casual but still comfortable as we only have a short way to come from near Southampton and can quickly get onto the serious business of a cocktail once on board and in the cabin.

Edited by Scriv

Very casual for me as we usually have a coach journey of around 7 hours. So it's jogging bottoms or leggings, t shirt and trainers. No make up. :)

And I avoid the photographers.

On our first P&O cruise when we got ushered in front of photographers when boarding (I had no idea you could decline) I was so annoyed I scowled. My husband thought it was so funny he purchased it. [emoji37]

Edited by Florry

Yes, I do too..... the thing is, I am being asked these things by a first timer and it made me wonder if I was representative or not.

I am reassured that I am 'normal' after all lol - even though I do feel a bit silly packing the waterproof for a short cruise when rain is not forecast. But then one never knows what can happen at sea.....

Edited by Scriv

Yes, I do too..... the thing is, I am being asked these things by a first timer and it made me wonder if I was representative or not.

I am reassured that I am 'normal' after all lol - even though I do feel a bit silly packing the waterproof for a short cruise when rain is not forecast. But then one never knows what can happen at sea.....

I stopped taking loads of stuff I never used and just take useful stuff. I don't even take my handbag anymore I just use a small cross body bag for the ship and ashore. I used to be able to make a rainbow with all the shoes I took, keep that to a minimum now too. Everything I take is practical and I still end up bringing home unworn stuff [emoji52]