Current onboard Dollar exchange rate?

wales4ever

What are you actually want to know? What exchange they use on shipboard accounts or converting dollars to pounds (or reverse)?

Shipboard accounts are probably in US dollars billed to your credit card. The bank then does the conversion for you .

If I take some British Pounds and exchange them on board for US Dollars, what is the current ship's exchange rate?

Financially, it would be in your best interest to purchase USD at home. The ship's purchase rate is always higher than your local bank.

Why would you want to purchase US dollars on board. Business conversion rates are never as good as bank rates, as they have to clip the ticket as well en route. On board ship is a cashless society so thee is no need to have cash on board either

Does anyone know the current $ Dollar to £ pound rate on board.

Its usually pretty poor but you never know..

The exchange rate for OBC / shipboard credit is not to our advantage at the moment.

£16.80 is the charge for $25, when I bought in January/ April it was ££14.90.

Today's bank rate is £16.63 ( according to the app on my phone)

Why would you want to purchase US dollars on board. Business conversion rates are never as good as bank rates, as they have to clip the ticket as well en route. On board ship is a cashless society so thee is no need to have cash on board either

Why would I want to? That's not your concern is it Whether I want to exchange currency onboard or not wasn't the question. I was only enquiring about the current rate.

Edited by wales4ever

Why would I want to? That's not your concern is it Whether I want to exchange currency onboard or not wasn't the question. I was only enquiring about the current rate.

1 pound = 16 ounces, therefore it will depend on the per pound price of what you buy. A pound of flesh is about $2.98 USD.

Oh my! Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

You want to try to get a wholesale rate which obviously is to your advantage. If the ship is stopping at a U.S. Port, then use a bank debit card to withdraw money. Some banks will not add on the typical 3 to 5% fee on top of the retail exchange rate.

Celebrity changes money at the rates charged by Bank of America...the same rates as if you walked into a BAC bank. Translated, that means you pay very close to 5% to exchange money. If the real exchange rate is 1 dollar per pound...you would pay very close to $1.05 for a pound on the ship.

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL....if you exchange pounds to euros (or similar) they will first convert the pounds to dollars, charging you the hidden 5%...and then they will change the dollars for euros and charge you another 5%. Don't ever do this....you are far far better off changing pounds to euros at any high priced money changer in the UK.

Finally...don't let Celebrity helpfully convert your bill to pounds. They will charge you the hidden 5%...and then your credit card company will still charge you the foreign transaction fee. You really never want to let any merchant help change from the foreign currency to your currency....,let the credit card company do the exchange. Watch what you sign when you check in...that's where you agree to let celebrity change your bill to UKP....make sure you don't agree to that....it is, of course, the default and if you don't ask, they'll do it....after all it's profit $'s.

Celebrity changes money at the rates charged by Bank of America...the same rates as if you walked into a BAC bank. Translated, that means you pay very close to 5% to exchange money. If the real exchange rate is 1 dollar per pound...you would pay very close to $1.05 for a pound on the ship.

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL....if you exchange pounds to euros (or similar) they will first convert the pounds to dollars, charging you the hidden 5%...and then they will change the dollars for euros and charge you another 5%. Don't ever do this....you are far far better off changing pounds to euros at any high priced money changer in the UK.

Finally...don't let Celebrity helpfully convert your bill to pounds. They will charge you the hidden 5%...and then your credit card company will still charge you the foreign transaction fee. You really never want to let any merchant help change from the foreign currency to your currency....,let the credit card company do the exchange. Watch what you sign when you check in...that's where you agree to let celebrity change your bill to UKP....make sure you don't agree to that....it is, of course, the default and if you don't ask, they'll do it....after all it's profit $'s.

My local bank told me that they charge a "retail" rate when you ask for foreign currency at a branch. That is usually 5%. Then they told me to just take enough foreign currency to get started there, i.e. money for metro, cabs, etc. They told me to go to an ATM and use my debit card for $$$. That money was taken out of my account at the "wholesale" rate.