What was the best tip someone gave you before your first cruise?

Jenniell

I have cruised before but never on RCI the power strip caught my eye as I always bring one (never enough outlets) so why did the cabin steward take this and should we hide ours on our rci cruise coming up?

I've never had a problem with the kind that don't have a cord, (Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger). Only really adds two extra outlets but it also has 2 USB charging ports which is what we really need any way. Its pretty small and easily overlooked.

I've never had a problem with the kind that don't have a cord, (Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger). Only really adds two extra outlets but it also has 2 USB charging ports which is what we really need any way. Its pretty small and easily overlooked.

I bring an Anker 10 port quick charging unit (They also have 5 and 6 port). One electric plug and charges all devices. I quickly gain new friends in the airport.

Bring a plastic over the door shoe holder and put it on the back of your bathroom door to hold toiletries, brushes,sunscreen etc. Very easy to get to and stays organized. There are plenty of pockets for both me and hubby

I was told several times to quit over scheduling and planning and wait until we get on the ship and go with flow.

Yes, I am the weirdo who stresses about scheduling relaxation.

We don't know anyone who cruises and we'd already been on half-a-dozen cruises before I discovered this forum. Tips I learned from our experience:

Have a positive attitude. Overlook the small disappointments.

Be friendly and polite to everyone, especially the crew members.

Don't try to take part in every activity onboard. Don't overschedule sightseeing.

Research your ports so you don't miss something you'd really like to see.

Plan your clothing so you do not overpack.

Take some OTC meds with you. They are expensive on the ship and aren't in every port.

Ask questions of your cabin steward -- he is a good source of information, including where there is free WiFi in a port.

Check email as rarely as possible. Try to stay disconnected from real life.

And again, have a positive attitude.

disagree about ignoring the tips.

Sometimes people think differently and a little reminder can make things boocoo easier.

One tip is to bring a portable, battery operated fan for air movement and noise.

I disagree on the tip about taking your passport with you at every port. They are a high target item for theft.

What we do is make several copies of the passport and DL and carry THAT with us into port with our passports locked into the safe.

Also doesn't hurt to e-mail same passport/DL copy to your self. It can be accessed from anywhere you may need it.

my 02

michael

As a (slightly obsessive) list maker, I started a packing list for our last cruise, and have since updated it whenever some useful tip or item comes along. I have reminders starting a few months out, to pre-cruise and packing, to arrival. It helps me to stay organized....and keeps me excited for the trip!

One thing I forgot last time was hair ties...not a big deal? Cruises are not big hair friendly! (Seriously...my hair reached somewhat epic proportions until I found a tie at the bottom of a luggage pouch. Never again! :D)

My favorite was the OTD pocket organizer. We put it on the closet door, and everything had a place to go, and was easy for everyone to find. (Very important with four people in one room!)

Check out the ships events daily -- there is so much to do! And make it a point to check out the entire ship...we found some places away from the crowd that were fabulous for chilling out.

On a side note, for people in connected rooms, keep in mind that sometimes keeping the door closed (or booking adjacent cabins) is a good thing. We cruised with our in-laws, and MIL was known for bounding in on us unannounced. Awkward does not even begin to describe that situation....

Enjoy your cruise!!!

• 4 weeks later...
The both a power strip (make sure it is in good shape ) and a bungee cord.

You can hook the bungee on your balcony door to keep it open. Nice to lay in bed and hear the ocean. But note the AC will turn off but still nice.

Have a great time and allow yourself to be spoiled.

Bungee cord for the door is GENIUS! We have windows open at home all the time because I love the fresh air & it sounds heavenly to have the fresh air out on the ocean!

If you are traveling with a group let them know you aren't the camp director. If they need something, something breaks in their cabin, etc let them call or go get it fixed.

Don't wait for others to go to the shows, lunch, etc. It's your vacation too, tell them all you will see them at dinner. Trying to save seats, chairs etc is a pattern you set the first day aboard.

I really like the "let me see your passport before the car leaves the driveway." At 57 I double check my passport and prescriptions.

Finally, even the newest cruise ship is loosing it's battle to stay new in salt water. Things break, they will fix it. Dinner is slow, they are doing all they can. Not one single crew member wants a bad review, so they are doing all they can to make your and my vacation a great one.

Lean back in the chair and nap some.

Edited by BallFour4

Don't pack your camera with your shampoo lol. My camera was ruined by shampoo before the bags were delivered to our room.

The woman in charge of the house (and my life) bought a Olympus waterproof camera that has seen more shampoo and suntan lotion than salt water.

Edited by BallFour4

The woman in charge of the house (and my life) bought a Olympus waterproof camera that has seen more shampoo and suntan lotion than salt water.

WRAP and TAPE people! Have I not warned and advised until I am blue in the face?? :p:D:p I tape the tops of shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, toothpaste, etc etc etc....THEN I wrap everything in a bag. You can go to the $ store and buy some clear bags or even use plastic bags from the grocery store. THEN pack in your suitcase. If anything opens or breaks, the mess is in the bag. ;)

Another thing I do for packing: I save the big bags from dept. store purchases or you can use garbage bags, whatever you have on hand and pack clothes in them by "category." I put shorts in one, t shirts in another, bathing suits in another, cover ups in another...you get the idea. Then I put them right on the shelves in the cabin in the bags. When I want a pair of shorts, I pull out that bag and pick out what I want...keeps everything organized and added bonus of keeping the clothes protected from any spillage from anyone ELSE'S suitcase, because remember, YOU packed all things spillable in bags! :cool: HAPPY CRUISING everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's my tips:

1. INSTEAD of using a Lanyard for your "Sail & Sign" Card (which can come right off your neck on windy decks) - get an inexpensive cell phone case from Amazon that can hold 2 cards! I always carry my cell while on a cruise cause that is what I use to take picture with.

2. Get ASSIGNED DINING. Part of the "authentic cruise experience" is meeting new people while seated at dinner, and also having the same service crew at dinner in the MDR. I used to like LATE seating but recently converted to EARLY seating ... but my TIP is, if you want to change from Early to Late ... or change the table you get ... or the people you are sitting with ... or your waiter ... you can CHANGE! Just talk to Maitre D.

3. get to the port by 10AM the day you sail - because that day is "Day one" of your cuise and you want to get on the ship AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.

Enjoy!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

1) Bring the documentation that you know you can't just print out at the airport / terminal, don't want to wait time on or can't write down / put on your cell phone (for example: State ID, Passports, boarding passes, etc).

You could also take a picture on your phone of the document or passport 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always thought this was a great tip: Carefully look over the clothes you plan to pack: Do they still fit? Are there stains, a broken zipper, loose buttons? You don't want to get on the ship and then find out!

My husband tried to tell me his suit still fit. I said "Oh really? Try and sit down." And then we were off to buy a new suit.

One of the first things I do is find the cabin steward and give him a tip and tell him the wife is boss. They are a wealth of information on the ship and ports. They have all been there before. Now I get anything I want.

Bring a Tervis Tumbler. Nice to go get a big cup of coffee and go back to the balcony and enjoy the morning.

The Omelet stations are great. You can get eggs anyway you want them. Over easy, etc. That way you know they are fresh. And like everyone says, relax and enjoy, you are on vacation. You will be amazed at what a smile will do to get great service and have happy guests around you.

I have gone to a bar and told the bartender that the other bars say you do not know how to make a great drink. We all laugh and I get a GREAT drink.