Alaskan Cruise next week! Need quick advice about exursions!

I'm on the Emerald Princess leaving Seattle May 28th and just got notice yesterday that our port time has changed in Juneau. I had scheduled to do the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watching, which is a 5.25 hour excursion. We knew we would still have time to do the Mt Roberts Tramway (my daughter insists!) afterwards. However, now that the time has been moved back, we won't return from our excursion until around 8:30pm and the last tram is at 9pm! Thinking maybe I should scrap the whale watch portion, as we are booked on another whale watch in Victoria toward the end of the cruise.

Any advice would be appreciated....know that Mendenhall is a must for my first time cruisers with me....is there a way to just do Mendenhall on our own from a tour company there?

from what I have read on the Alaska port of call board. There are quite a few kiosks selling tours in the port; meaning you should be able to stop there and buy a ticket to the glacier and do it on your time. Hope this helps. Like the above post says; go to the Alaska board. Some of the people actually live in Alaska and have great advice

The Mt. Roberts tramway costs $33 per person for a 4 minute ride to the top and then back down. If you hike up there (takes about an hour) and spend $10 in the restaurant or gift shop - they will give you a free ride back down. But it's really all about going to a gift shop and average restaurant up there and there is a lovely view and a rescued eagle that can't fly. Other than that, it's basically a tourist trap and just OK with a line for the tram that can be an hour long to get back down. If it is misty or foggy that day, you get no view at all. I would say, you cannot decide to do this for certain as you can't predict what the weather will be so I would not cancel your other excursion in favor of this. We did it once and were quite underwhelmed. IMO, not worth the money.

All good advice! One more question... has anyone did the Tracy Point Fjord cruise excursion off the ship? Wondering if this might be an opportunity to see whales and glacier up close and free up time actually in Juneau?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All good advice! One more question... has anyone did the Tracy Arm

Fjord cruise excursion off the ship? Wondering if this might be an opportunity to see whales and glacier up close and free up time actually in Juneau?

I'm on the Emerald Princess leaving Seattle May 28th and just got notice yesterday that our port time has changed in Juneau. I had scheduled to do the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Watching, which is a 5.25 hour excursion. We knew we would still have time to do the Mt Roberts Tramway (my daughter insists!) afterwards. However, now that the time has been moved back, we won't return from our excursion until around 8:30pm and the last tram is at 9pm! Thinking maybe I should scrap the whale watch portion, as we are booked on another whale watch in Victoria toward the end of the cruise.

Any advice would be appreciated....know that Mendenhall is a must for my first time cruisers with me....is there a way to just do Mendenhall on our own from a tour company there?

Although I haven't taken a whale watch out of Victoria, I have taken 4 whale watch excursions out of Juneau. Each has been great with lots of whales, both orca and humpback. I suspect you'd see more whales out of Juneau than Victoria. Of the 4 times I've been to Juneau, it's been an all day rain for 3 of the trips. I've wanted to take the Mt. Roberts tram, but the weather hasn't cooperated. I wouldn't cancel a Juneau whale watch, which is all but a sure thing, for the possibility of a short, scenic, but maybe cloud enshrouded, tram ride up and down a mt. My $.02.

Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Free advice is always appreciated! Do you know anything about the excursion offered in Tracy Arm fjord? I've read that whales are usually seen on that excursion

Sorry, I don't know anything about the excursion to Tracy Arm, but I have been in Tracy Arm. It is spectacular! The excursion wasn't offered on our trip in 2016. If it had been, we'd have taken it instead of the whale watch. But, we've taken 3 whale watch excursions previously. And yes, in the past I have seen whales in the vicinity of Tracy Arm.

I just looked at the itinerary for the Emerald Princess for 5/28. It says you'll be scenic cruising Tracy Arm for three hours on the same day you'll be in Juneau. It is early season, so there may be a lot of ice, limiting how far you go up the fjord, but you will be in the area.

<cue free advice>

You can't see everything on one trip, and attempting to cram too many things into a day just increases stress and decreases enjoyment. My advice would be to stay on the whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier excursion. You're guaranteed to see whales, which is a pretty inspiring sight, and you'll see the glacier, which you said is a must see for the group. If there's time, and the weather is cooperating, you still might have time to ride the tram. Leaving something just gives you a reason to go back one day.

<more free advice>

Rain gear and waterproof/breathable boots/shoes! It will likely rain on the whale watch. It has on three of the four I've taken in Juneau. You're there to see whales, and the best way to do that is to be out on deck, not huddled in the cabin looking through water streaked windows. For me, wet feet=misery. For rain gear, I've heard good things about Frogg Toggs. A set isn't expensive, and they do the job.

Enjoy!

Other than that, it's basically a tourist trap and just OK

Thank you very much! You just saved us $66 if it is clear out. Last time we skipped Mt. Roberts due to mist and fog so had considered it for this trip. But not now.