Debit card preauthorisation on board

Hi

When I was on celebrity last year they did a daily pre-authorisation of the amount I'd "spent" on board then debited the full amount on departure day. So we spent let's say £600 but my account was debited for £1200.

The £600 pre-authorisation dropped off eventually but I had to ring my bank to sort it so for a couple of weeks my available funds were very tight.

Do they do the same on p&o? If so we can register credit card on embarkation instead of a debit card. But we'd want to pay with debit card at the end rather than credit card if that makes sense.

(after spending the last four years paying off £40k worth of debt and now being totally debt free I prefer not to use credit card even though I can pay it off straight away - I just have an aversion to them).

So in summation

- Do p&o do a preauthorisation?

-If so can I register a credit card at check in but pay with a different card (ie debit card) at the end?

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

Yes, P&O do the same as do most hotels. The money is not debited to your account but ring fenced which means you can't use that money for anything else. When your account is ultimately charged the pre authorisation should drop off but it can take some time. Better to use a credit card.

Brian

Thanks Brian

Can I register a credit card at check in but pay with my debit card at the end?

I very much doubt it because the pre authorisations are put onto your card during your cruise just in case your final bill is not authorised by the card company. If you had those pre authorisations put onto your credit card and then you tried and changed to your debit card on the final day then they might think you are trying to avoid paying your final bill and P&O would not have the security of pre authorisations.

Thanks Brian

I don't see why not although there are likely to be long queues at reception.

Brian

Thanks Majortom

You can do it on Celebrity (register one card and pay with another - it's mentioned occasionally on that forum) Plus we've often registered one card at a hotel on check in but paid with another on check out so I know it's possible in terms of the actual mechanics.

I'm just not sure if p&o allow it. You know how sometimes an organisation will have rules of their own etc etc

I could always just call p&o but was hoping someone who'd done similar might be able to advise.

Yes, you can pay with a different card to the one registered. If you don't mind a small charge on your credit card, e.g. the last day/night spending then go to the desk the morning of the last full day and pay with whatever card you want. The queue in the morning will be a lot shorter than afternoon/later in the day. The pre-auth charges on your credit card will just drop off after a few days.

One option maybe to register a credit card when you check in. On the afternoon of your penultimate day pay off your account in full using a debit card leaving your credit card to cover your last evening on board. I would assume this would be a relatively small amount.

Brian

PS looks like SwissDave beat me to it as I was typing.

Thanks Brian

Hi, I would think so, I've done the exact same thing with HAL, who take a whopping $60 dollars a day authorisation per person at the start of your cruise. So I've put that on my CC then settled the bill the night before departure on my debit card, then just let any spend on the last night which is usually minimal, be charged to my CC. That way it saves joining in the big queues on departure day.

The authorisation has then dropped off my CC within a week of arriving home.

Thanks Brian

Of course you can register a credit card but I see no point in then paying by debit card.

Simply pay off your Credit Card in full on the 'payment' date.

Bingo, you've had a free loan from your credit card company.

Meanwhile the cruise company will love you if you pay by debit card: they pay less charges on debit cards than they do on credit cards.

Better even still, get a 'cash-back card and earn on what you spend.

Your £600.00 on board bill would earn you £3.00 with a Barclaycard Cashback and £6.00 with an Amex.

Thanks Richard - we have run up debt on credit cards in the past and prefer not to use them, we haven't touched one for two years.

We are lucky enough that we are finally solvent (hurrah!!) and financially able to have paid for the cruise outright plus we have our spending money in place and really don't want to use the credit card at all.

If we do register one at check in it will be purely to avoid having the "double" charge on the debit card for on board spend (even if it does drop off in time).

I know some people use credit cards successfully but they aren't for me. In fact just using it for the preauthorisation side of things gives me the willies[emoji50][emoji857]

Thanks Richard - we have run up debt on credit cards in the past and prefer not to use them, we haven't touched one for two years.

We are lucky enough that we are finally solvent (hurrah!!) and financially able to have paid for the cruise outright plus we have our spending money in place and really don't want to use the credit card at all.

If we do register one at check in it will be purely to avoid having the "double" charge on the debit card for on board spend (even if it does drop off in time).

I know some people use credit cards successfully but they aren't for me. In fact just using it for the preauthorisation side of things gives me the willies[emoji50][emoji857]

I'm with you on credit cards. You can switch payment method - well done for staying resolute!

You can also put cash down as a deposit and settle in cash on the last night . My father does this as he is old school and does not have any debit or credit cards.

Oh really? I didn't realise that. So how does that work? At embarkation just deposit cash at check in? Any idea if the amount is regulated (i.e. Do you have to put down £X per day)

Oh really? I didn't realise that. So how does that work? At embarkation just deposit cash at check in? Any idea if the amount is regulated (i.e. Do you have to put down £X per day)

You have to be extremely careful to lock your safe! Not something I would risk.

See website

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/cash_account

I believe they ask you to deposit around £150 and then keep it topped up in credit.

If you run low on cash where do you get more from?

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

We are ten days into the cruise so decided to get a statement and pay off what we owe so far.

I rocked up to reception debit card in hand only to be told they only accept cash. They can't swipe cards apparently.

The only other option is to change the credit card I registered over to the debit card on their system but then they will switch the preauthorisation over for that as well, which is what I was trying to avoid happening on the debit card.

I asked if I can wait until the last day to switch cards and she said no - it has to be three days.

I said I'd checked all this out beforehand and I am sure I could register one card and pay with another so she is going to check with the finance manager and get back to me.

Anyway just thought I'd update anyone and have it here for anyone doing research on this in future. If it changes after she's spoken to the finance manager I'll let you know.

For the reasons in post #15 [emoji4]

You are wanting to pay off your credit card on the penultimate day of your cruise which is creating problems for you. All I am suggesting is that you leave it for one day and pay if off when you are home. What difference does a day make?

Brian

Maybe it's one of those things that only someone who's run up £40k of debt then taken years to pay it all off can understand. If I can pay by debit card then nothing actually goes on the credit card - except the preauthorisation which isn't real.

It's an aversion. A fear of debt. I'm a debtophobe[emoji6] I avoid it at all costs, no matter how small the debt or for how short the period.

I know it may seem irrational and appreciate your suggestions just prefer not to.