Fjords on Britannia (single parent)

wharton450

Hello, I am going on my 4th p&o cruise to the Fjords. This is my first cruise to this area and my first as a single father of a son who is 10. I know there will be lots to do on-board but I was wondering if I could ask for advise on the port stops. I don't really want to do trips at every port but would like to do a couple. Can anyone offer advise on which ports are good to just step off and explore and which trips I should do with my son. I have cut and paste the itinerary below. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Cruise itinerary : 4 ports

• Southampton
  • Stavanger
  • Olden
  • Innvikfjorden (Cruise by)
  • Nordfjord (Cruise by)
  • Flåm
  • Aurlandsfjord (Cruise by)
  • Sognefjord (Cruise by)
  • Bergen
  • Southampton

Edited by wharton450

Flam and do the Flam railway

However do book in advance, It can be done on their website, but better to go through P&O as if cancelled you get refunded.

Bergen you can do yourself take the Fløibanen funicular to the top of Mount Fløyen

easy walking from the terminal. Tickets are easy obtained at the entrance on the day. If pleasant day walk back down.

I have not been to Flam but was going to suggest the funicular railway in Bergen too. There is also a HOHO Bus in Bergen. Stavanger is pretty easy to just have a walk around in. A good excursion from Olden is to the Briksdal Glacier. It is about 20 to 30 minutes walk when you get off the bus but if your son is up to that (I don't have children so how far they walk is a mystery to me :D) I would recommend it.

In Olden, we went on the little train which was situated right outside along the ship, it was 10 euros each. A 1.5 hour trip around the lake with a few stops for photos, quite a nice little trip but you can also walk yourself as far as you want to go. There is also the red hop on bus which takes you near the glacier. There are also 12 seater mini buses which leave the port to go to the glacier, probably cheaper than the P&O excursion.

In Bergen you can walk into the town, get a map and discover everything yourself or there are 2 different hop on buses (blue and red).

From my various cruises to Norway

Stavanger always docked in the town centre with various museum in walking distance.

Flam docked in touristy village. The big attraction is the Flam railway which takes you from the village up and up and up. P and O do various trips that incorporate the railway.

Olden docked short walk outside village. Not much to do in village. The real attraction is the the Briskdal glacier. Again P and O do tours. Apparently a cable car to somewhere has recently opened but that is some distance from the village.

Bergen docked near city centre. Lots of things you walk to. Including the Hanseatic district, Mount Floyen railway and fish market.

To some degree it will depend if you and your son like outdoor activities such as hill walking or if you prefer ambling round museums.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please don't expect the Briksdal glacier to be an amazing white blueish river of ice. Unfortunately it has retreated so far it is quite small and dirty. However if you have not seen a glacier try it, the walk up to the viewing area is very good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A very short walk (10 min slow amble) from the dock in Stavanger is the Petroleum Museum. Sounds boring, but it isn't. Quite a few hands on exhibits (and it's a 5 years since we went so they could have added more) such as trying on a survival suit, getting into a survival pod, trying one of the oil rig escape chutes, etc. etc. We spent a whole drizzly morning there - my son was about 11 at the time and loved it.

I think there is a bus operating from the port in Olden to the Floen skylift cable car - if you search the threads there was quite a long one about this recently, with comprehensive info.

One tip: if you son likes/needs snacks and drinks to keep him topped up during the day, I would take items with you as food and drink is very expensive in Norway.

Bergen - at the top of the funicular there is a large woodland type area for walking and picnics. The first time I went it was on a P&O tour and they just took us to the top and brought us down. The second time we went alone, got there early and spent several hours walking.

I went to the Briskal glacier many years ago and went hiking up it, I don't suppose that is allowed these days [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If your son is into Lego then I suggest you make sure you visit toy shops. Lego is one of the few items which is priced similar to UK and you get access to the most recent...at least that was my experience a few years ago.

A very short walk (10 min slow amble) from the dock in Stavanger is the Petroleum Museum. Sounds boring, but it isn't. Quite a few hands on exhibits (and it's a 5 years since we went so they could have added more) such as trying on a survival suit, getting into a survival pod, trying one of the oil rig escape chutes, etc. etc. We spent a whole drizzly morning there - my son was about 11 at the time and loved it.

I think there is a bus operating from the port in Olden to the Floen skylift cable car - if you search the threads there was quite a long one about this recently, with comprehensive info.

One tip: if you son likes/needs snacks and drinks to keep him topped up during the day, I would take items with you as food and drink is very expensive in Norway.

2nd vote here for the Petroleum Museum. Easy walk from the dock and far more interesting than it sounds!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for for all your help, this is what I have decided on with your help

Stavanger Petroleum museum

Olden new sky lift

Flam railway had to book this myself as P&O had sold out

Bergan, small walking tour with tram to mountain top

Thanks again