Queen Victoria-Just back!

shipmannj

Hi all,

Prior to this cruise, you were all so kind in answering some questions for me that I thought it only fair to report to you about the voyage. Thank you again for your help, it did make things easier.

This was my first time onboard QV, although I have sailed Cunard Countess twice, QE2 and QM2 twice. I am also a veteran of about 40 other cruises, mostly on Holland America Line, so I know all of their Vista and modified Vista class ships very well.

Overall, this was an excellent cruise, but there were some flies in the ointment which would have made it even better.

The itinerary was Trieste-Zadar-Dubrovnik-Mykonos (missed due to weather)-Rhodes-Izmir and disembarkation in Istanbul. We also added the Cunard three day extension in Istanbul.

First, comments about the itinerary. We started with a bone-crunching flight from the USA to Trieste, via Munich, and an overnight at the truly splendid Savoia Excelsior Hotel, located directly across the street from the pier. This was the first ever embarkation for QV in Trieste, and it was handled smoothly. The Costa Mediterranea was also embarking, and as Costa is the more frequent caller, they got the better side of the berth. The Trieste pier was built to accommodate the great liners of the past, certainly not two vessels so large as these. Space was tight and not air conditioned, but fortunately things went quickly once they actually began check-in.

Zadar was a maiden call, but there were no traditional welcome ceremonies or salutes. There was serious confusion about docking here as all of the printed material, and all of the promotional photographs of the port, indicated that we would be docked at the foot of old town. Even the in-port guide Cunard handed out had all distances measured from the wrong dock. In fact, we were docked much further out of town at the ferry terminal. While Cunard provided free shuttle service, people were using information which clearly stated that everything was in walking distance. A simple announcement could have cleared this up, but none was forthcoming.

Dubrovnik- a spectacular port call, and the hottest day of the cruise, we were alone in the harbor, except for the usual ferries. Again, a shuttle service was provided, for a fee, to all not on tour.

A well needed day at sea followed. Due to the unexpected arrival of 50kt Meltimi winds, the following day's call at Mykonos was cancelled. Captain Philpott valiantly tried to maneuver the ship into a lee for well over an hour, but it was not to be. Mein Schiff was at the dock, and a "something of the Seas" was anchored closer in using larger shore based tenders, so they were able to stay. A day of very slow scenic cruising amongst the Greek isles replaced the call.

Rhodes followed, and anyone who has been there knows how wonderful that call always is.

Izmir was the jumping off spot for most of the passengers on tour to Ephesus. It seemed the vast majority of people were on one of these tours. Our guide voiced some concerns that since so many people obviously want to visit Ephesus, he could not understand why Cunard insists on Izmir, when Kusadasi is so much closer. People could spend more time touring, and far less time travelling.

There was quite a bit of heavy fog in the Sea of Marmara, so our arrival in Istanbul was delayed by about an hour. Here we witnessed one of the greatest feats of seamanship I have ever seen as the Captain had only feet to spare while he parallel parked the Queen between the Emerald Princess aft and the Celebrity Reflection forward. People on deck were honestly holding their breath expecting a collision in either direction. All was accomplished without a problem. Well done, Captain Philpott.

Will discuss the ship and the onboard experience in the next installment.

On to the ship itself.

Immediately upon boarding it was obvious why, on another online discussion group, the interiors are dismissed with the phrase "Mrs. Brown." I know this was a name applied to Victoria herself, but in the case of this other board, it is not used as a term of endearment. While I must admit that I do not believe I have ever seen a more monochromatic palette used on any other ship, the interiors did quickly grow on me and I came to appreciate what they were trying to accomplish. Indeed, QV is a most handsome ship.

The differences between Cunard's version of the basic Vista design and HAL's version are quickly apparent. Both have their plusses and minuses, but I do believe that on the whole, the Cunard incarnation was superior. There seemed to be higher ceilings, a much more elegant atrium and, of course, the wonderful double height Queens Room. Overall, things just seemed to flow better on QV than on Eurodam.

Our cabin was on the after end of deck 8, under the outdoor lido and there was no noise from above during the night or early morning. The cabin was almost identical in size to the HAL version, however, the HAL bathroom is vastly superior in all respects. Fittings and furniture were in good shape, both in the room and on the balcony, although the metal balcony furniture became searingly and dangerously hot in the Mediterranean sun. Again the HAL faux wicker would have been much safer and more comfortable.

A major issue was the air conditioning in the cabin. It rarely kept the room comfortable, by anyones standards, and repeated calls and visits to the front desk over many days failed to solve the problem. It appeared that our requests were ignored, and the one time a technician did come, he went to the cabin next door, and would not believe our friends that the problem was in our cabin, not theirs.

Entertainment was superb, as I have come to expect from Cunard. The production shows are imaginative and very well presented. I have come to really appreciate the professionally trained classical techniques of their dance troupes as opposed to the "perky kids from Peoria" you normally see on other lines. The only exception to the overall excellence of the onboard entertainers and musicians was the pianist in the Golden Lion Pub. She was obnoxiously loud and did not so much play the piano as beat it into submission. She left the ship 3 days into the cruise to attend to an emergency at home, and there were no complaints about her absence.

Sadly, the biggest disappointment was the dining room. I know that the question of food is very subjective, and that 4 people can have 8 opinions about the same meal. However, for me, this was the low point of the cruise. The lido buffet, where we breakfasted and lunched, was superior to the Britannia in both variety and taste. Dinner menus were, to my eyes, boring and dull. The glowing adjectives used to describe each dish oversold the reality. I am seriously allergic to all seafood and with these removed, there was very little left for me to pick from. Two thirds of each category, starter and entrée were fish or fish based. Unlike almost all other lines, there is no "always available" section to the menu. When I asked my waiter about the possibility of a simple grilled chicken breast, he explained a complicated procedure about needing to call the restaurant manager, who would then have to give official permission for a special order ticket to be written up. Really? For a chicken breast? I found the desserts to be uniformly lacking. Again, personal tastes, but almost everything was of the custardy, pot de crème, mousse or pannacotta variety. Service was excellent, from both waiter and assistant waiter, and the section maître'd never failed to stop by to ensure all was well.

The issues with the dining room in no way should suggest that this was anything other than a wonderful cruise.

The other issue which really angered me involved the front desk. Prior to the cruise, I had arranged a substantial credit in the bookstore as a birthday surprise for my travelling companion. I was assured that a certificate to this effect would be in the cabin at embarkation, or immediately thereafter. Indeed it was. However as my friend opened it, rather than a delighted look of surprise, I was met with a quizzical stare. When I looked, the certificate clearly stated that I had given myself the substantial gift, not him. So much for a birthday surprise. When I took the papers to the front office, along with proof of the gift and its intended wording, I was met with a totally disinterested reaction from the desk staff who muttered a halfhearted, begrudging "sorry". They promised to fix the certificate and send it back shortly after sailing. When it hadn't arrived two days later I went back to the desk to check on its progress. I received another halfhearted apology and the desk staff person reached under the counter and handed it to me there. To say that I was not impressed and not happy would be a tremendous understatement.

The above notwithstanding, I would not hesitate to sail QV again. She worked her magic on me, almost in spite of herself and I was very sad to depart for the magic if Istanbul.

If I have forgotten anything, or if you need more information, please just ask, and again thank you all for helping make this much easier in many ways.

I agree that there is not a lot of choice in the dinner menu if you don't eat fish. HAL's menu is more extensive and the "always available" menu has lots of choices although many of the same items are available on Cunard just not printed on the menu (except in Britannia Club). It is too bad you got the run around about the chicken. There shouldn't be an issue getting chicken or steak any night.

I agree that there is not a lot of choice in the dinner menu if you don't eat fish. HAL's menu is more extensive and the "always available" menu has lots of choices although many of the same items are available on Cunard just not printed on the menu (except in Britannia Club). It is too bad you got the run around about the chicken. There shouldn't be an issue getting chicken or steak any night.

You have me worried here Scrapnana, my wife does not like fish and infact is allergic to some like prawns. We have booked on QM2 28 night to the Caribbean later this year. Can you advise on what non fish items may be avilable off the menu or where I might find that information? Thanks

You have me worried here Scrapnana, my wife does not like fish and infact is allergic to some like prawns. We have booked on QM2 28 night to the Caribbean later this year. Can you advise on what non fish items may be avilable off the menu or where I might find that information? Thanks

There's always meat on offer - chicken/lamb/beef/pork/duck etc.

Sample menu on Cunards' website:

http://www.cunard.co.uk/Documents/Menus/Queen%20Mary%202/1/Queen_Mary_2_Britannia_Dinner.pdf

And scroll to the bottom of the page of Host Hattie's sticky message for more menus:

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2198505

I wouldn't worry about this at the moment. It's far to early to know what the menu cycle is and I doubt if anyone on here can give you a positive answer .

Just rest assure that if your wife has any special dietary needs ,all you need to do is speak to you station Head waiter on the first evening ( he/she will pass by your table the first evening to introduce him self) They will cater for all your wife's needs, and as Scrapnana says ,Chicken and steak are always available every evening in the Britannia Restaurant, you just have to ask. :)

Shipmannj, thanks for the very informative report.

My husband is allergic to fish, but has always managed to find enough selection from the menu to keep him well fed, so your wife shouldn't have to worry about finding non fish items.

There is also a vegetarian menu but that involves ordering the night before. I am a non fish eating vegetarian and in Britannia I have struggled somewhat in the past. We are on QE in Britannia in four weeks, our first foray into Britannia for several years, but it's an extra. I must admit I am a bit concerned.

Can I thank you all for your interesting and informative replies. Looking at the menus I would think my wife would have no problems with the entrees, but the starters may be difficult. Trio of melon or such like it; it would appear to be.

Thanks again.

Hello,cruiseluvva.

We are on Queen Elizabeth in four weeks.If we see some one in the dining room looking concerened and hungry, in a Welsh accent,we will say hello.

Rodger.

Edited by foster269

There is always 4 or 5 vegetarian choices for main course each night,although you do have to order the previous day.However,each evenings menu also had a couple of vegetarian choices when we were aboard so I never had a problem

On to the ship itself.

Immediately upon boarding it was obvious why, on another online discussion group, the interiors are dismissed with the phrase "Mrs. Brown." I know this was a name applied to Victoria herself, but in the case of this other board, it is not used as a term of endearment. While I must admit that I do not believe I have ever seen a more monochromatic palette used on any other ship, the interiors did quickly grow on me and I came to appreciate what they were trying to accomplish. Indeed, QV is a most handsome ship.

The differences between Cunard's version of the basic Vista design and HAL's version are quickly apparent. Both have their plusses and minuses, but I do believe that on the whole, the Cunard incarnation was superior. There seemed to be higher ceilings, a much more elegant atrium and, of course, the wonderful double height Queens Room. Overall, things just seemed to flow better on QV than on Eurodam.

Our cabin was on the after end of deck 8, under the outdoor lido and there was no noise from above during the night or early morning. The cabin was almost identical in size to the HAL version, however, the HAL bathroom is vastly superior in all respects. Fittings and furniture were in good shape, both in the room and on the balcony, although the metal balcony furniture became searingly and dangerously hot in the Mediterranean sun. Again the HAL faux wicker would have been much safer and more comfortable.

A major issue was the air conditioning in the cabin. It rarely kept the room comfortable, by anyones standards, and repeated calls and visits to the front desk over many days failed to solve the problem. It appeared that our requests were ignored, and the one time a technician did come, he went to the cabin next door, and would not believe our friends that the problem was in our cabin, not theirs.

Entertainment was superb, as I have come to expect from Cunard. The production shows are imaginative and very well presented. I have come to really appreciate the professionally trained classical techniques of their dance troupes as opposed to the "perky kids from Peoria" you normally see on other lines. The only exception to the overall excellence of the onboard entertainers and musicians was the pianist in the Golden Lion Pub. She was obnoxiously loud and did not so much play the piano as beat it into submission. She left the ship 3 days into the cruise to attend to an emergency at home, and there were no complaints about her absence.

Sadly, the biggest disappointment was the dining room. I know that the question of food is very subjective, and that 4 people can have 8 opinions about the same meal. However, for me, this was the low point of the cruise. The lido buffet, where we breakfasted and lunched, was superior to the Britannia in both variety and taste. Dinner menus were, to my eyes, boring and dull. The glowing adjectives used to describe each dish oversold the reality. I am seriously allergic to all seafood and with these removed, there was very little left for me to pick from. Two thirds of each category, starter and entrée were fish or fish based. Unlike almost all other lines, there is no "always available" section to the menu. When I asked my waiter about the possibility of a simple grilled chicken breast, he explained a complicated procedure about needing to call the restaurant manager, who would then have to give official permission for a special order ticket to be written up. Really? For a chicken breast? I found the desserts to be uniformly lacking. Again, personal tastes, but almost everything was of the custardy, pot de crème, mousse or pannacotta variety. Service was excellent, from both waiter and assistant waiter, and the section maître'd never failed to stop by to ensure all was well.

The issues with the dining room in no way should suggest that this was anything other than a wonderful cruise.

The other issue which really angered me involved the front desk. Prior to the cruise, I had arranged a substantial credit in the bookstore as a birthday surprise for my travelling companion. I was assured that a certificate to this effect would be in the cabin at embarkation, or immediately thereafter. Indeed it was. However as my friend opened it, rather than a delighted look of surprise, I was met with a quizzical stare. When I looked, the certificate clearly stated that I had given myself the substantial gift, not him. So much for a birthday surprise. When I took the papers to the front office, along with proof of the gift and its intended wording, I was met with a totally disinterested reaction from the desk staff who muttered a halfhearted, begrudging "sorry". They promised to fix the certificate and send it back shortly after sailing. When it hadn't arrived two days later I went back to the desk to check on its progress. I received another halfhearted apology and the desk staff person reached under the counter and handed it to me there. To say that I was not impressed and not happy would be a tremendous understatement.

The above notwithstanding, I would not hesitate to sail QV again. She worked her magic on me, almost in spite of herself and I was very sad to depart for the magic if Istanbul.

If I have forgotten anything, or if you need more information, please just ask, and again thank you all for helping make this much easier in many ways.

Excellent report, we have done 11 cruises on the Queen Victoria and it is our favourite Cunard ship. Just one slight error you said "the section Maitre'd never failed to stop by, these staff members are Head Waiters, there is only one Maitre'd in the Brittannia Restaurant. Hope you have caught the bug to return to the Queen Victoria, the crew always seem happy which make it a Happy Ship.;)

Edited by luckymal
now correct

I couldn't agree more about the comments on the food in the MDR. I found the menu and the food a disappointment compared to eg P and O Oriana. Def not possible to order simple food off menu. We ate in the Lido a couple of evenings and found it to be good quality and a great variety.

Also found Customer Relations less than helpful when we had a problem.

Like you OP we still had a great time (May/June).

So is it better to have breakfast buffet on Lido or breakfast in the Britannia dining room? Breakfast is my favorite meal.

Depends what you mean by better - again, it depends what you prefer. If you like table cloths, waiter service and a peaceful experience then I would recommend the MDR, if you are in a hurry you might prefer the Lido (or room service).

lido reminded us of high school cafeteria due to noise, food was good, but MAIN Britannia room was far better but slower of course.

we used lido when the shore excursions returned several hours later than scheduled.

biggest lido issue was with beverage machines and access to being crowded, and machines running out of ice (and people then using scoops) which is unsanitary (same issue on Qv 2 years ago with the scooping of ice , unfixed problem, like not quite enough clothes washing machines, or having one of 3 broken.

one woman at our table had a special menu each night and she had no issues with it.

only been on one other cruise ship, a short disney cruise, liked it, their smallest cabins had the toilet separate from the sink shower (but adjacent) area which was nice. QV has them all together.

Edited by edwardh1