Montego Bay Cruise Terminal

maldenmusic

We have only been there once, and they actually docked us at the industrial pier and bused us over to Mo Bay pier. We only walked through, just remember shops, don't remember any restaurants. It wasn't big, and it was all under one roof.

But right outside you can catch a taxi or bus down to the city area where there are some.

We have only been there once, and they actually docked us at the industrial pier and bused us over to Mo Bay pier. We only walked through, just remember shops, don't remember any restaurants. It wasn't big, and it was all under one roof.

But right outside you can catch a taxi or bus down to the city area where there are some.

Thanks. This is just the kind of info I was wanting. I haven't been able to find out much about it.

I will be on a cruise that goes there in September, so was wondering the same thing. I will be travelling solo, so am leery of venturing out around from the dock area, but I understand there is a "hop on and hop off bus" for about 18.00 or 20.00 dollars, that is charged to your sail and sign account, and it goes to Rose Hall, Margaritaville, Dr Cave beach, and one or two other places, and you can hop on and off from place to place.

We were at Montego Bay with the Eurodam last winter. The cruise port is one of the worst i have seen. They were constructing shops on the grounds. Tried to walk into Montego bay, but gave that up and returned to the ship. Total time on the ground...45 minutes.

We were at Montego Bay with the Eurodam last winter. The cruise port is one of the worst i have seen. They were constructing shops on the grounds. Tried to walk into Montego bay, but gave that up and returned to the ship. Total time on the ground...45 minutes.

That is what I said.... take a bus or taxi downtown to Margaritaville or Doctors cave beach, tons of shops and restaurants down there and you can see the ship from there.

Or take an excursion.

We did the zipline tour and then Margaritaville before returning to the ship, had a blast. The people are warm and funny, great sense of humor. Really changed my opinion about Jamaica. I had read here on CC how horrible the place was and how unsafe.... we found it to be very different. People are aggressive in shopping areas, but they are trying to make a living and cruise ship passengers are their source of income. Saying no thankyou and smiling works. A smile goes a long way.

can anyone tell me if the pier in Montego bay is a long one (compared to others that cruise ships visit)? I have a bit of a mobility problem. I can walk, just not for long distances. For example, last year I had difficulty making it from the ship to the shopping area at Grand Turk. I can do it, just not without pain, so distance is of some importance to me.

so just wondering if the pier in Montego bay is very long, or not. I would like to get to the hop on hop off bus.

I don't know if things have changed since I was there, but we docked at one place and then they had to put all the cruise passengers in vans and shuttle them around the industrial area to the port building to get out. Not fun IMO. Then the building wasn't much of anything at all.

It's definitely not a port I would get off the ship and just wonder around the port. Too much of a hassle IMO with the shuttles.

Our view from the ship

IMG_0299-M.jpg

IMG_0316-M.jpg

When you get off the ship, you walk into a building (the picture below) and wind your way out (while standing in lines to catch the bus) and you end up out on the other side of the chain link fence to catch the bus to shuttle over to the building you will see in the following pictures below after this one. (This particular picture was taken of a group returning back to the ship).

IMG_0318-M.jpg

The building

PC180006-M.jpg

IMG_0280-M.jpg

Of course this just might be where we docked at. I believe the Carnival Sunshine was with us that day and they may have been docked closer and might not of had to shuttle on the buses.

I don't know if things have changed since I was there, but we docked at one place and then they had to put all the cruise passengers in vans and shuttle them around the industrial area to the port building to get out. Not fun IMO. Then the building wasn't much of anything at all.

It's definitely not a port I would get off the ship and just wonder around the port. Too much of a hassle IMO with the shuttles.

Our view from the ship

IMG_0299-M.jpg

IMG_0316-M.jpg

When you get off the ship, you walk into a building (the picture below) and wind your way out (while standing in lines to catch the bus) and you end up out on the other side of the chain link fence to catch the bus to shuttle over to the building you will see in the following pictures below after this one. (This particular picture was taken of a group returning back to the ship).

IMG_0318-M.jpg

The building

PC180006-M.jpg

IMG_0280-M.jpg

Of course this just might be where we docked at. I believe the Carnival Sunshine was with us that day and they may have been docked closer and might not of had to shuttle on the buses.

Thanks for the pictures. How long ago were you there?

Thank you mitsugirly. I guess I will just assess the situation when I get there, and decide then what I will do. Not planning on taking an excursion, but was thinking of the hop on and off bus. This is a great help. Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last November on Carnival Breeze. There is no pier to walk down, we literally walked off the ship right near the building. There were no shops inside. Heard someone say they were in the process of remodeling. It was completely empty. Walk through the building and outside and you were at the drop off/pick up area. Plenty of people out there to direct you. I do believe that there was one small jerk food booth on the backside of the port building. IMG_1471320211.262246.jpg.0093d7573a0917c8b8bf3a0a614eeecc.jpg

IMG_1471320181.377161.jpg.f8f5f903d07a3e55c74489873b788179.jpg

Edited by browns3030

The area around the port is depressing in how run down it has become. The shops beside the port have been all but closed. The jerk chicken stand on the back side of the port was actually very good!

I've been to Jamaica several times. The huge number of people trying to sell you something is a huge turnoff for us. We don't even got off the ship anymore when in Jamaica.

We were there last November on Carnival Breeze. There is no pier to walk down, we literally walked off the ship right near the building. There were no shops inside. Heard someone say they were in the process of remodeling. It was completely empty. Walk through the building and outside and you were at the drop off/pick up area. Plenty of people out there to direct you. I do believe that there was one small jerk food booth on the backside of the port building. [ATTACH]392366[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]392371[/ATTACH]

I will be on a cruise that goes there in September, so was wondering the same thing. I will be travelling solo, so am leery of venturing out around from the dock area, but I understand there is a "hop on and hop off bus" for about 18.00 or 20.00 dollars, that is charged to your sail and sign account, and it goes to Rose Hall, Margaritaville, Dr Cave beach, and one or two other places, and you can hop on and off from place to place.

Please post here after your September trip and let me know what you ended up doing.

Please post here after your September trip and let me know what you ended up doing.

I will do that, but right now, I have a feeling that if I do get off the ship, it will be just to explore any shops immediately at the dock.

I have had a fall recently, no damage, but my doctor has suggested I start using a cane. So, I am trying to adjust to my failing physical/walking abilities at this point, and therefore am leery of venturing far from the ship if at all.

I will assess the situation when I get there, and most certainly will update this thread when I return home.

We were in Montego Bay with Holland America last Feb. The pictures posted of the port area were what we saw as well. If you dock in the industrial area you must board the vehicles which take you to the terminal area.

The ground outside the terminal area is very uneven. They were constructing small shops immediately outside the terminal building. There is a sidewalk from the terminal bldg to the area where there are the buses however you need to walk down to the main road to get a taxi. Be prepared to be pushed around and hassled.

thanks for the info. :( I am thinking that for me, it will be a day staying on board.:( If I were in better physical condition, I would at least try the hop on and off bus, but, it seems like too much of a hassle for me right now, being as slow as I am.

With the information you have, staying on board is a wise choice. As you said, you will assess the situation again when you are there.

From my recollection the whole area around the port is not friendly to those with any kind of mobility issues. You would probably find even getting on the very old van/bus from the ship to the terminal area difficult. Add to that the pushing and shoving around the bus loading area.

We didn't get any further than the taxi area...assessed the situation and returned to the ship. Had a pleasant day on board, and there were loads of people who had decided to do the same thing.

Have a good trip and let us know how you did in Montego Bay.

A few times we have taken tours and they were good, mostly when in Montego Bay we will just take a taxi to Margaritville eat lunch, drink a few rum punches and watch those in the water. It has been a few years since being there but if I remember correctly, there were plenty of shops near Margaretville.

Our plan is a simple tour of MoBay, Drs Cave beach, and Margaritaville. Plus some local Pork Pit fare and trinket shopping. This thread has made me realize that I am really glad I hired a driver for our group!! He's to meet us 1 hour after we dock, so hopefully a lot of the crowd will have dispersed a bit. My parents aren't necessarily mobility-challenged, but they are a bit older and don't do well with the shoving, etc.