Calling all NCL Sun lovers

BlueLadyBlue

We sailed the Sun through the Panama Canal; it was perfection. We had a mid-ship balcony cabin and loved it.

During the canal trans-cruise we were able to see the canal on the top deck but also really enjoyed watching the canal sailing and all it is, in our cabin.

I loved the Sun; the Great Outdoors was a favorite spot during the sailaways in all of the ports. Service was great!

It is what cruising was before all of the theme park ships came to be; relaxing and uncrowded.

Have a great cruise on the Sun!

I've done Mexican Riviera and Buenos Aires to Valparaiso on the Sun. Both were great cruises. It is not as new as the Jewel class ships, slightly smaller, but both cruises there was a great atmosphere onboard. Lots of great venues for entertainment and I also love the Great Outdoors and the Observatory lounge for ocean views etc. The Sports Bar usually has a great atmosphere if an exciting sport game is on. I was there for the Play Offs last January. Didn't understand the game, but enjoyed the people. I'm looking forward to being back on her come July 29th for 14 days. Both times I've been in a balcony, I'm in an inside for the first time the last 7 days as that was the only thing available. I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time in the Observatory Lounge.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread -- I'm also booked in an aft balcony next summer, and have been paying close attention to the odor issue. I always have great expectations when I read that a ship is going in for drydock, and I'm inevitably let down to find out that actual refurbishment/upgrades were minimal. I'm excited about Alaska but I've been kinda sorta wary about this ship.

• 1 month later...
Since we are broked on the Sun for 5 September, in an aft balcony, I was concerned about the plethora of complaints from cruises easier in the year (especially when the Sun was in South America) regarding an awful sewage odor that seemed to permeate the aft area of the ship.

I did more research, then called my cruise consultant who gave me a customer service number. I called them, explained what I was reading on cruise critic and that some of the complaints were after the refit in the spring. Also, I stated that I had posted a thread on cc asking for those who had cruised recently on the Sun to comment about any sewage odors. I read some of these complaints to her. She put me on hold and talked with someone else, then came back to say that NCL had complaints about the odors, but they were pre-refit. I read a couple of the complaints that were post refit. By the way, t those complaints were not as severe as the pre-refit. Also, I asked others that were interested in this issue to call NCL about the problem.

I noted that NCL did divert a few weeks ago from docking at Skagway and did some work on the sewage system.

I have read a couple of posts from people in aft mini-suite/balcony cabins that did not notice any sewage odors.

I stuck with my aft balcony and am hopeful that it works out.

Bon Voyage Papa. I hope you have a fantastic trip. :)

My husband and I spend 30 days on the Sun. Our experience was not the horrid stories that have been posted. Just like living at home there are a few problems but nothing that the staff and cruise did not jump at to fix. I am sorry others have had problems but we did not. The wait staff is some of the best and everyone was friendly. Enjoy!!

We have recently returned from our back-to-back cruise to Alaska (22nd Aug to 5th Sept) and, despite/because of the months leading up to the cruise reading CC forums, had a lovely time aboard the Sun.

My thanks to those who have posted helpful advice on the forum and also to those who have entertained me one way or another - it all added to the overall experience. Of course, the unexpectedly fine weather for almost all the voyage, the crew, the ship itself, fellow passengers and, quite possibly most of all, Alaska went a long way to making both of us say: "you know, we might do this again!"

Before posting this I started to put together a review/account of our trip but wondered if it was worthwhile considering the season is almost over and who knows what 2017 will bring in terms of further changes? I decided to take a quick look at recent reviews of the Sun as a guide...I am dismayed by the negative comments and can only wonder at the mentality of some who post them. So I will attempt to redress the balance in due course - it seems only fair. Too many like to complain in their reviews and not post positively.

And, no, we never caught a whiff of the infamous sewerage odour despite being in a cabin on deck 10 toward the rear of the ship!

Given the right cruise itinerary, both my wife and I would return to the NCL Sun.

We have recently returned from our back-to-back cruise to Alaska (22nd Aug to 5th Sept) and, despite/because of the months leading up to the cruise reading CC forums, had a lovely time aboard the Sun.

My thanks to those who have posted helpful advice on the forum and also to those who have entertained me one way or another - it all added to the overall experience. Of course, the unexpectedly fine weather for almost all the voyage, the crew, the ship itself, fellow passengers and, quite possibly most of all, Alaska went a long way to making both of us say: "you know, we might do this again!"

Before posting this I started to put together a review/account of our trip but wondered if it was worthwhile considering the season is almost over and who knows what 2017 will bring in terms of further changes? I decided to take a quick look at recent reviews of the Sun as a guide...I am dismayed by the negative comments and can only wonder at the mentality of some who post them. So I will attempt to redress the balance in due course - it seems only fair. Too many like to complain in their reviews and not post positively.

And, no, we never caught a whiff of the infamous sewerage odour despite being in a cabin on deck 10 toward the rear of the ship!

Given the right cruise itinerary, both my wife and I would return to the NCL Sun.

Yeah! So glad you had a great time. Please, please post your positive review and if the odd thing wasn't great, that's OK too, we don't expect perfection. We are sailing around "The Horn" in January and are in a balcony cabin on deck 10 so nice to hear no sewage smells.

Looking forward to reading about your adventure.:D

I have sailed a 7 day and a 10 day aboard the Sun and have to say it is just about my favorite ship. The smaller size is much easier to get around yet the ship has great amenities. Those amenities are just a little more traditional than the new mega ships. As others have mentioned the forward lookout deck is great! The great outdoors deck in back is wonderful! The ship also has a lot of public space per passenger unlike many newer ships. As far as any sewage smell... Honestly... I have caught a wiff of it on every single ship I have been on. Only in the lowest decks and only once in a while. I have just assumed it is part of the ship life.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!

• 6 months later...

Our last cruise was on the Getaway and prior to that we were on the Sun. Both were enjoyable.

Our next cruise will be on the Sun cruising the panama canal San Francisco to Miami. In my opinion, i prefer the Sun. We enjoy the smaller ship, easier to navigate and get around. We booked an aft facing balcony 9077 I think. I believe this will be our 3rd sailing on the Sun.:cool:

:cool:

Our last cruise was on the Getaway and prior to that we were on the Sun. Both were enjoyable.

Our next cruise will be on the Sun cruising the panama canal San Francisco to Miami. In my opinion, i prefer the Sun. We enjoy the smaller ship, easier to navigate and get around. We booked an aft facing balcony 9077 I think. I believe this will be our 3rd sailing on the Sun.:cool:

:cool:

We loved that aft. cabin.:D

Watch for a little soot on the balcony furniture.;)