Carnival Liberty repairs underway

I see sparks now around the lower portion of the hull cut, I assume (there I go again) that's prepping for welding the cut out section back in place?

Yep, the angle grinders are busy. They have to bevel the steel to allow full penetration welds. That's most likely 12mm thick (1/2").

Yep, the angle grinders are busy. They have to bevel the steel to allow full penetration welds. That's most likely 12mm thick (1/2").

The bevel is toward the outer hull, correct (I'm not a welder so what do I know?)?

Edited by joepeka

The bevel is toward the outer hull, correct?

They'll bevel both sides, and then weld both sides. Generally the class surveyor will want to inspect the first pass (root pass) before the welders can start "production" welding the seam up.

They'll bevel both sides, and then weld both sides. Generally the class surveyor will want to inspect the first pass (root pass) before the welders can start "production" welding the seam up.

Then I'm guessing this is a most-of-the-night job..... given that it's going on 8PM in Galveston. This is really very interesting to this old IT guy. :)

Then I'm guessing this is a most-of-the-night job..... given that it's going on 8PM in Galveston. This is really very interesting to this old IT guy. :)

Oh, yeah, they will be "burning rod" all night. I see that they are prepping the barge by removing the skids used for the motors, and will then put the patch onboard. First they'll have to lift it into place, then weld some brackets on the hull and patch that they will use wedges to pull the edges smooth. So, even after lifting the patch into place, they've got to "fair" it, tack weld it, then root pass, inspect, and then start full welding both sides. I wouldn't expect them to finish much before 0600, then inspection.

Chief, thanks for the play by play. I find this fascinating since it's another side of life I've never been exposed to.

Second that motion. Wished our trip was moved up to go with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh, yeah, they will be "burning rod" all night. I see that they are prepping the barge by removing the skids used for the motors, and will then put the patch onboard. First they'll have to lift it into place, then weld some brackets on the hull and patch that they will use wedges to pull the edges smooth. So, even after lifting the patch into place, they've got to "fair" it, tack weld it, then root pass, inspect, and then start full welding both sides. I wouldn't expect them to finish much before 0600, then inspection.

What are inspection requirements for these welds? RT? UTShearwave?

Chengkp75, who typically would actually be doing this work - both the hull work/welding and then the rigging and motor installation? Would this be Carnival's shipboard Maintenance and Engineering team, local ironworkers, a local fabrication/welding firm, or does this require some sort of specially certified maritime ship repair organization? I understand the class surveyor is responsible for inspection and final OK, but who is actually doing the "labor." Thanks in advance and for all you contribute.

CC really needs it's own "ask Chengkp75" forum :)

Edited by bernardch
Minor spelling edits

It looks like they are wrapping it up for the night -9:00 central time.

Based on Chief's earlier comments, I'm guessing not. They have welding on both sides of the hull, testing and inspections before they can call it done. Although I suppose given it's scheduled departure isn't until tomorrow afternoon, they might want to finish up in the A.M.

Edited by joepeka

Based on Chief's earlier comments, I'm guessing not. They have welding on both sides of the hull, testing and inspections before they can call it done. Although I suppose given it's scheduled departure isn't until tomorrow afternoon, they might want to finish up in the A.M.

Nothing happening outside, but I see sparks probably coming from welding on the inside.....

Nothing happening outside, but I see sparks probably coming from welding on the inside.....

Yep, and the tug just left so I'm guessing there won't be any outside work for the remainder of the evening. Unless it's in the wee hours tonight..... :confused:

Yep, and the tug just left so I'm guessing there won't be any outside work for the remainder of the evening. Unless it's in the wee hours tonight..... :confused:

Wish I could record the cruise cam. Have to work tomorrow, and won't be able to watch the goings on :(

What are inspection requirements for these welds? RT? UTShearwave?

For the root pass, it will normally be simply to grind it down smooth, and use a dye penetrant test. As I said, they will then test watertightness using a vacuum box once the welds are complete. They might get away with a "hose test" where they hit it with a fire hose to see if if leaks on the inside, but that would only be a temporary test, and they would need to re-test the welds at a later date.

Chengkp75, who typically would actually be doing this work - both the hull work/welding and then the rigging and motor installation? Would this be Carnival's shipboard Maintenance and Engineering team, local ironworkers, a local fabrication/welding firm, or does this require some sort of specially certified maritime ship repair organization? I understand the class surveyor is responsible for inspection and final OK, but who is actually doing the "labor." Thanks in advance and for all you contribute.

CC really needs it's own "ask Chengkp75" forum :)

My guess is the labor for swapping the motors and cutting/welding the patch are from either Bludworth Marine or Southwest Shipyard, both out of Galveston. The welders have to be certified by the class society to perform hull welds. They have probably not gotten more than getting the motors close to their final locations, but then the shaft couplings will need to be shrink fitted on, motors tipped up, and mounted in place with alignment checks. That will probably happen at the next port. The ship will have 4-5 of its engineers and electricians working on this, and the thruster manufacturer will usually have a tech rep present for supervising, checking and testing.

I stopped watching around 9 here, bit surprised about the comments that they stopped, and now around 0500 there's no work going on. Traveling to Boston today, may miss out on what goes on today.

Hmm. Given the departure time frame and the lack of work going on this morning, they must have done full welding from the inside. This can be done, but is a bit more tricky and the testing is just more problematical since you have the framing to work around. I woud have expected at least one seal bead on the outside. Haven't seen a repair like this before.

Looks like they are staging down equipment now.

Just saw the CBP agent with his dog get into a bit of a discussion with the boat operator about his ID, not sure what's going on there.

The "bondo" that someone mentioned last night may have been a ceramic backer that prevents air from contaminating the weld. I've seen this used where the backside isn't accessible (like in critical piping, etc.), but its never been spread on, and again, haven't seen this on hull welding before. Will require some research, learn something new every day.

Edited by chengkp75