Istanbul

specialcruisegirl

I have mixed thoughts and emotions about pulling out of Istanbul and potentially all of Turkey. I'm torn between safety and the notion of giving the terrorists a "victory". Admittedly I'm happy that we've visited Turkey, including Istanbul, several times in the past four years and had no plans to go back anytime soon if at all. I'm sad because others won't or can't visit and enjoy the same experiences we have with the Turkish people and sites. That said I notice that Silversea is yet to pull Istanbul or other stops from their posted itineraries on their website.

Randy...it's very sad in many ways. I adored Istanbul but hated the chaos of the place...and it is for that reason l wouldn't consider returning. I have also noticed that nothing has changed on the SS website....maybe they will get around to it soon...[emoji6]

Sophia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I spoke with SS on Friday regarding my caribbean booking and the agent said it had been manic because they had reached that decision and were removing for TWO years. I didn't press and wished id clarified if it was Istanbul or Turkey.. And if they meant 16/17 and 17/18 which it did sound like.

Personally I wouldn't sail istanbul but would be ok with deemed safer places elsewhere in Turkey.

I know Carnival have pulled Turkish locations but not all.... And im sure I saw another had pulled Turkey.

On a side note, if this removes the only non EU port you will be hit with VAT on purchases on board. Fortunately less of an issue for SS cruisers than others.

The world is a dangerous place.

Edited by les37b

Les....my TA told me it was for the rest of 2016 and also 2017.....as far as l know it's Istanbul as a boarding/ disembarking point...

That would make sense though in the current climate I would avoid Istanbul as a place to visit too. That POV is probably helped in that it's not really a place I've thought I'd like to visit anyway.

We were just informed by our TA that our October cruise will end in Athens instead of Istanbul. A costly change, as we booked our flight tickets in advance and cannot change the routing.

That must be infuriating.

When I booked my med cruise I went on last april a year before, there were lots of riots, refugee problems and concerns about Greece in general. I asked SS what would happen if they decided to not use Athens regarding getting home as my flights would be booked and they basically said tough.

I hope if there are riots un Miami next year... SS will sort the return fares I've paid them to get home!! And not leave me stranded in a different port. I appreciate not gonna happen... But id like to know in seriousness what would happen.

As you say you have paid SS for the flights I presume you have booked their whole package.

My trip on Spirit last month was switched from Istanbul to Athens at the start. I would never normally take the SS package but as I expected this switch when I booked as it was suspected that the situation in Istanbul was doubtful so I took that option. This transfered the risk from myself to SS so they had to rearrange hotels and flights for me at no extra cost to myself.

So rest assured if you have any problem having bought the travel from SS there is nothing to worry about. Having said that I much prefer my own arrangements and will continue to do so having taken a view on the port of departure/arrival.

Edited by eastwoodboy

As you say you have paid SS for the flights I presume you have booked their whole package.

My trip on Spirit last month was switched from Istanbul to Athens at the start. I would never normally take the SS package but as I expected this switch when I booked as it was suspected that the situation in Istanbul was doubtful so I took that option. This transfered the risk from myself to SS so they had to rearrange hotels and flights for me at no extra cost to myself.

So rest assured if you have any problem having bought the travel from SS there is nothing to worry about. Having said that I much prefer my own arrangements and will continue to do so having taken a view on the port of departure/arrival.

Yes, we booked flights, 2 nights pre cruise, cruise, then return flights as one package and have paid in full (to obtain the 10% discount). (That said, for some reason its not showing up right in my.silversa - but the agent is on the case.... something to do with the rates quoted for the second night not being available.... even though we quoted and paid.)

It does appear Silversea has gone in and changed their itineraries that had included Istanbul. I didn't look at each and every sailing but a quick glance seems to show Istanbul is no longer a starting/ending port for any cruise. Looks like they've changed those cruises they had to starting/stopping in Istanbul to Athens(Piraeus) instead. I did notice a few cruises that are still stopping in at least Kusadasi so it doesn't appear they totally pulled out of Turkey which I think is good news.

It is good news Randy...it's such a shame that Turkey is suffering right now as its a beautiful country.

[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a great shame. Hopefully in time it will be sorted. Istanbul in particular is one of our favourite cities and we would hate to think we wouldn't return.

Wifey has a particular observation about it I hadn't really noticed. We never get "bumped into" even in the most crowded streets and places and on the ferries and public transport, because this is a Muslim country she rarely has a man sit next to her or close to her. She feels safer and feels she has more space than other cities. Men seem much more courteous and careful towards females.

Hope in time things will improve.

Jeff

It's a great shame. Hopefully in time it will be sorted. Istanbul in particular is one of our favourite cities and we would hate to think we wouldn't return.

Wifey has a particular observation about it I hadn't really noticed. We never get "bumped into" even in the most crowded streets and places and on the ferries and public transport, because this is a Muslim country she rarely has a man sit next to her or close to her. She feels safer and feels she has more space than other cities. Men seem much more courteous and careful towards females.

Hope in time things will improve.

Jeff

We have loved our Istanbul visits and other than the typical street peddler hustle hassle around the major tourist spots haven't ever felt the least bit uncomfortable. Certainly haven't felt any more uneasy than Rome, Venice, and Barcelona just to name a few. We are as watchful there as here in the US in New York, New Orleans, or any other major city.

Edited by Randyk47

Its beginning to sound like more than just an attempt now!

They claim that they have taken over.

Jeff

It would appear the coup attempt is over. Unless the rest of the military was taking a "wait and see" view of the coup it looks like it actually was very poorly organized above basically two battalion strength units in Ankara and Istanbul. Considering Turkey has a large Army this is a very small percentage of their force. I'm guessing the leaders were hoping or thought the rest of the Army and military would join them and that apparently hasn't or didn't happen.

Edited by Randyk47

It would appear the coup attempt is over. Unless the rest of the military was taking a "wait and see" view of the coup it looks like it actually was very poorly organized above basically two battalion strength units in Ankara and Istanbul. Considering Turkey has a large Army this is a very small percentage of their force. I'm guessing the leaders were hoping or thought the rest of the Army and military would join them and that apparently hasn't or didn't happen.

Yes, and what is really terribly sad is that what is likely to happen now is that ordinary soldiers who were simply trained to do what their officers told them to will be rounded up.

I remember on our first trip to Istanbul, queuing up at the gate of Topkapi Palace very early hoping to be first in before the crowds and a very young soldier was guarding the entrance. I asked him if he was one of the eunuchs, and he roared with laughter. He spoke great English and he was friendly and anxious to chat to a Brit to exercise his English. He was a well educated university graduate conscript and he was talking about his family and how much he didn't want to be in the army, but wanted to be at home with his mum, sisters and girlfriend and to work on his bike. The world over, army people are told to sacrifice judgement and simply do what they are told.

Wifey and I wondered how Erdogan will be treating the innocent kids who simply did what they were told as they were trained to do.

Jeff

It is ironic that in 2011 the NCL Jade was diverted to Istanbul as a safe alternative to Egypt. One year later the NCL Jade returned to Egypt. Instability rules in that part of the world.

Excellent summary above with your comment/observation of "Instability rules in that part of the world". Interesting point about NCL switching from Istanbul to Egypt. We have never visited Egypt and would like to go there. From our visit to the Turkish Coast and Istanbul in 2006, we loved these amazing areas and hope to go back again.

Overall, this is a very sad, challenging and uncertain situation that ties/relates to other bad conditions in the Middle East.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,693 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474