HMC - Limited Mobility

ATC64

My wife and I will be going on a short 4 night cruise to the Bahamas in September with my parents. We are considering renting a cabana during our stop at HMC and inviting the folks out for the day but I'm concerned with my mom's limited mobility. She's a small woman but is now at the stage of her life where she has difficulty walking more than 100 feet without needing to rest. We have a scooter rented for her while on the ship but I'm concerned with the tender and also getting to the cabana without the scooter.

I think it's probably a bad idea but would like to get opinions from some experts on this forum before we make a decision.

Thanks!

My wife and I will be going on a short 4 night cruise to the Bahamas in September with my parents. We are considering renting a cabana during our stop at HMC and inviting the folks out for the day but I'm concerned with my mom's limited mobility. She's a small woman but is now at the stage of her life where she has difficulty walking more than 100 feet without needing to rest. We have a scooter rented for her while on the ship but I'm concerned with the tender and also getting to the cabana without the scooter.

I think it's probably a bad idea but would like to get opinions from some experts on this forum before we make a decision.

Thanks!

Stay on the nearly empty ship.

Thanks!

Hi there

Just try to get the use of a wheelchair for the day. You would be allowed to bring it on the tender (unlike the scooter). You would be able to push her to the cabana. Of course you wouldn't be able to push her on the sand but the distance from the paved path to the cabana entrance wouldn't be very far.

If they allowed you to bring the chair off the ship for the day, I think it would solve your problem.

have a great cruise

Hi there

Just try to get the use of a wheelchair for the day. You would be allowed to bring it on the tender (unlike the scooter). You would be able to push her to the cabana. Of course you wouldn't be able to push her on the sand but the distance from the paved path to the cabana entrance wouldn't be very far.

If they allowed you to bring the chair off the ship for the day, I think it would solve your problem.

have a great cruise

I was under the impression that ship w/c's remain on the ship. I'd imagine they'd get beat up with off ship use.

Is this an island where they have those chairs with the big wheels to navigate in the sand?

once on the island you will walk through an arch way. on the left you are suppose to sign in at the excursion desk. after that if you go to the right past the bathroom's they have trucks that have attachments to them that have numerous seats on them. you tell the driver your cabana # and he will take you to the cabana. you will have to walk a little bit on the beach to the cabana. you can tell them what time to pick you up also, or go to the water sports building next to the pirate bar and tell them you need to be picked up by cabana # and they will dispatch a driver to you. i rented a villa one year and my father in law just had knee surgery so this service was greatly appreciated.

My mom has mobility issues and we were at HMC last December. She had a rollator that she took on the island and then we took the tram to our Villa. We had chosen A as it was the closest and went with the Villa over the Cabana for the bathroom. We brought back food for her from the buffet, and she was actually able to get into the water with some help (the water is not really far away in my opinion). The only issue was that there was quite a step up when getting out of the water and she needed some additional help. The tram was a blessing, and the rollator worked great as she could take it into the sand from the road to the Villa. That being said, would it have been easier to stay on the ship? Definitely. But were we able to work it out? Absolutely!

Have fun whatever you decide to do!

HMC is one of only two wheelchair accessible tender ports. (The other being Catalina Island.) Easy roll on/off. There are pathways though some of the island to get you about.

IMG_1585.JPG

Their problem is getting mom to the cabana. Is the pathway sand or dirt or of solid material?

As always, excellent suggestions from the experts!! I just booked the cabana and will for sure go straight to the excursion desk when we embark the ship. Great to know about the beach buggy wheel chairs and wheel chair accessible tender!

We joined my folks for their first ever cruise last year and stayed on the ship during a shore day and had a great time hanging out on the lido deck enjoying cocktails, reminiscing and playing some bean bag toss. Looking for something a little different this time around.

Edited by ATC64

My mom has mobility issues and we were at HMC last December. She had a rollator that she took on the island and then we took the tram to our Villa. We had chosen A as it was the closest and went with the Villa over the Cabana for the bathroom. We brought back food for her from the buffet, and she was actually able to get into the water with some help (the water is not really far away in my opinion). The only issue was that there was quite a step up when getting out of the water and she needed some additional help. The tram was a blessing, and the rollator worked great as she could take it into the sand from the road to the Villa. That being said, would it have been easier to stay on the ship? Definitely. But were we able to work it out? Absolutely!

Have fun whatever you decide to do!

Thank you so much for sharing. This and Buckimion's post made the decision so much easier.

I was under the impression that ship w/c's remain on the ship. I'd imagine they'd get beat up with off ship use.

Is this an island where they have those chairs with the big wheels to navigate in the sand?

Just as an FYI...we rented a wheel chair on the ship for our daughter years ago. We took it everywhere on and off the ship.

Usually it is quite calm there for tendering. Someone a little unsteady could have difficulty tendering if it is rough. That said the staff are very helpful in that process.

Ditto on the tram to the cabanas. And I believe they still have mister fans to keep your mom cool.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk