What to do in Cannes for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

We have never been to Cannes before and I was wondering what is their to do there?

What do you do when you go there?? :)

Is there any private tours you would recommend??

Any tips/advise/ideas are very welcome. :)

PS: We don't know very much French :(, will that be a problem?

Google Tom's Port Guides. Look for the French Rivieria guides on his website. He has great "do it yourself" instructions for the ports in the area. The area has very good mass transportation options so there is a variety of places you could go from Cannes.

One easy option is to take the train to Nice and check out the flower market and old town. Nice also has a very good Chagall museum if that interests you.

Or, even closer you could take a bus or train to Antibes. It has a little food market, a flea market and a little Picasso museum.

Allow for some time to visit Cannes itself at the end. The old town is up the hill on your left when you come off the tenders.

Not knowing French will not be an issue...just learn how to say hello and do you speak English in French and you are set to go.

How long do you have in port?

Edited by buggins0402

The old town is beautiful and has an excellent supply of shops, cafes and restaurants. There is also a lovely beach and lots of sights and things to see regarding the Film Festival. All in all, it's a lovely place for wandering and people watching. A recommended port of call.

If you wish to explore then book one of the excursions on offer but we feel there is no need to as Cannes is one of our favourites. The old town up the hill is especially interesting and you can walk right upto the top to have magnificent views of the town and the sea.

We took the train to Monte Carlo, watched the changing of the guard, walked around the area, visited the church were Grace Kelly was married/buried, had lunch, then took the train to Nice. Easy walk down to the water, had a relaxing glass of wine, people watched, then train back to Cannes. Walked around the area a little and called it a day. Very easy port to train whereever you prefer. And, we don't know a word of french. People are very helpful!

Edited by CallyCruzer

We walked around and took in the general view. We went to the site of the film festival. We went to a Picasso museum. And lastly, there was the beach.

On a previous cruise, we went to Nice instead. We went to both the Matisse Museum and the Chagall Museum. It was one of our best days ever in a port. (It was actually our first port on our very first cruise.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We walked around and took in the general view. We went to the site of the film festival. We went to a Picasso museum. And lastly, there was the beach.

On a previous cruise, we went to Nice instead. We went to both the Matisse Museum and the Chagall Museum. It was one of our best days ever in a port. (It was actually our first port on our very first cruise.)

Was your previous visit to Nice through a tour or on your own? We'd like to explore an itinerary that includes both of those museums. Thanks!

The prices of kultours are on her website

For the 4 of us to go it was cheaper than doing the same tour with RCI

What I loved was that it was just the 4 of us and she would cater the tour to our wishes

I have booked her again for my return in may 2016

Was your previous visit to Nice through a tour or on your own? We'd like to explore an itinerary that includes both of those museums. Thanks!

It was on our own. This was on our very first cruise, which was in 2002. I don't think it was on any excursion then, and I don't know if it is now. It was easy to do. In fact, at whichever of the two museums we left first, they got a taxi for us to the second one.

Since my wife is an art teacher, we tend to go to a lot of museums. Often they are not on tours. One in particular I remember is the Munch Museum in Oslo, Norway.

It was on our own. This was on our very first cruise, which was in 2002. I don't think it was on any excursion then, and I don't know if it is now. It was easy to do. In fact, at whichever of the two museums we left first, they got a taxi for us to the second one.

I got more details from my DW. She said it was very easy. We took the train from Villafranche to Nice. From there we found a taxi stand, and took a ride to whichever of these two museums we found first.

Edited by ontheweb
spelling correction

Since my wife is an art teacher, we tend to go to a lot of museums. Often they are not on tours. One in particular I remember is the Munch Museum in Oslo, Norway.

Thanks for the info! We may take this very same approach.

• 2 weeks later...

Another awesome video!!! Love your music. Bravo!

We, too, will be (back) in Cannes for a tendered, short day this September. Thankfully, we stayed in Cannes for two nights about 14 years ago on a coach tour. We had signed up for all of the excursions and didn't spend much time in Cannes! I can hardly wait to go back this September and see it through fresh eyes.

• 4 weeks later...