Balmoral returning early

tom_uk

There's a note on the Fred Olsen website as follows:-

"Balmoral’s current Norwegian Fjords cruise – L1502, will be returning into Southampton, City Cruise Terminal, berth 101, late morning on Sunday 10th May. If you are collecting any guests we suggest you arrive at the cruise terminal from 12.30. Balmoral's next sailing, Madeira & Azores – L1503, departing, Monday 11th May, will now depart from Southampton, City Cruise Terminal, berth 101. Please, where possible delay your arrival, we kindly request you do not arrive prior to 3pm. Check-in will close at 5.30pm"

Does anyone know what has caused Balmoral's early return? From the timings it looks as if the ship is going to be given a really thorough deep clean. Has there been a norovirus outbreak onboard?

Yep, they unfortunately booked a dirty pig that took the virus onboard! I cannot commend the crew highly! As soon as they knew it was on board all the buffets ended and they started cleaning. I was visited by medics, delivered room service, offered loads of help and called on regular basis to check I was OK. Obviously the ' complainers' on board complained about everything, as if it was Fred's fault for allowing it onboard, but if you don't wash your hands you're not gonna tell Fred that are you??. Crew were marvellous under immense situation. As we disembarked this morning, they started deep clean so won't be on board for next trip. Arrived home to find refund already done.:)

Yes we were also on the curtailed cruise. Looked quite a serious outbreak but it was handled as well as it could be. They were starting a deep clean at noon today. Lots of extra work for the crew but all credit to them they mostly kept smiling. As stated refund cheque for the missed day waiting for us on return:)

I totally agree with previous posters. While it was ABSOULUTLY horrendous for those who suffered let's not take away the devotion to duty of the crew. This was my first cruise which was spoiled a little by some selfish person or persons who did not want to miss their cruise but we're quite happy for other healthy people's cruise to be spoiled. A health questionaire had to be filled out at the port. I would like to see more warnings at the port highlighting the dangers of coming on to a ship with the Norovirus, but I suppose people will still not realise the importance of a spread of this virus. I just hope that Fred will let us use the discount offered to be used with other cruises, not only Norwegian Fjord cruises but this is something I will take up personally with the company. Finally I cannot fault FO for the way that they handled this situation

We were also on this cruise and have just returned home. There were certainly a great number of people affected by the bug with, in my estimation, at least 25% of people missing from our restaurant sitting on the day it started, which was the second day of an 8 day cruise, (curtailed to 7). The illness, (called gastro intestinal infection by the captain), had apparently appeared suddenly on the second night of the cruise as we had a full restaurant and there were many people around the ship on first day of the cruise. There were very few people about the ship from the second day of the cruise onwards. There were also evidence of infection in quite a number of cabins for the rest of the cruise and one person even vomited on their table very near to us in the restaurant one night.

Given that the infection was persumably on a rolling basis, I do wonder just how many people were infected overall - it could easily have been half of the passengers or even more than that. We were not given numbers and asking for numbers gave an evasive reply from the crew.

As we were leaving the ship, a member of staff employed by Southampton Port commented that he had heard it was not thought to be norovirus. As a biologist, I had also questioned that myself, (given the sudden appearance of the illness), but obviously the only way to find out is by testing, so unless anyone coming home ill gets tested and firmly diagnosed, then passengers are unlikely know what the cause really was.

I must say though, that I did not hear one person (passenger or crew) complain about the situation at any time. It was commented on at times and people (including us) felt sympathy for ill passengers and crew alike - it obviously made a lot more work for the crew and they are always hard working as we all know.

However, I was talking to a member of staff one evening who commented that she had been sick that morning, (if she was a passenger she would not have been allowed to be about the ship for 48 hours after her symptoms subsided). It also seemed strange that anti bacterial hand gels were being used as they have no effect whatsoever on viruses. I did see one or two dispensers of anti microbial foam being used in food areas in the last day or two, though the vast majority were still just anti bacterial gels.

Yes, these things happen and we were unfortunate to be there, but I do not see the point of blaming anyone who was ill as they were unlikely to know they were going to be ill.

We were given a refund for our lost day and offered the opportunity to book one of a few specific, simlar, cruises with a 50% reduction 'as a good will gesture', (provided the reduction is no more than 50% of the price paid for this cruise). Those cruises are very limited on dates and departure ports, so are of little use to many people, (including us), but I did get the impression onboard that Fred. may well be negotiable on that - we will have to see.

I'm glad you have said that as I was thinking the same thing. It is quite feasible for someone to be infected on boarding and not know. It could also have been a member of the crew who started it. As you are something of an expert maybe you know whether is it possible for it to have been food poisoning, cross contamination possibly.

Whatever I just hope they get rid of it as we are on board on 24 May.

Having just returned from this cruise myself (not affected by the "outbreak" thankfully), I would just like to ask the question if anybody has received the results of the "investigation" or am I to assume everybody is simply taking the word of Fred Olsen as gospel to why this "virus" was on board and having returned to a cheque and a promise of a reduction on a further cruise we should be "satisfied" and leave it at that? If this was an American cruise line litigation would have already commenced! Having carried out investigations on my return I've discovered Braemar had an "outbreak" in April and blogs generally seemed to suggest "outbreaks" are common on virtually every cruise. The speed of which it seemed to take hold could suggest the food could have been a possibility (and hence a member of staff a possible cause?) - did staff move from Braemar to Balmoral for this cruise perhaps? I intend seeking answers to my investigations and do not intend simply accepting the "standard response". I am particularly intrigued that Balmoral's next cruise today is embarking from a "proper" cruise terminal and not an insanitary marquee.

Crew don't move from ship to ship. And the only reason we departed from marquee (don't know why unsanitary) is that there were 5 ships leaving on same day.. You might have seen them. I believe Southampton, not Fred, can't cope with that amount of ships, as the traffic jams would prove! Why should we wait for an investigation? I have cruised for years and worked on P&O for years and I know the hygiene regime that the company keeps. I myself witnessed a passenger use ladies room and leave without washing hands, so rather than start American line litigation on Fred, find the disgusting woman who has to be told basic hygiene

I have also suggested that maybe for first two days of cruise, that NO buffets are allowed. That would give any viruses to have less chance to spread as obviously if people have to constantly told to wash hands on ship, they probably don't do it at home and are not used to doing it!!!! I believe that some passengers may not be truthful when filling out the health questionnaire and they could be bringing the virus on board, seems just easy to blame Fred!

I have also suggested that maybe for first two days of cruise, that NO buffets are allowed. That would give any viruses to have less chance to spread as obviously if people have to constantly told to wash hands on ship, they probably don't do it at home and are not used to doing it!!!! I believe that some passengers may not be truthful when filling out the health questionnaire and they could be bringing the virus on board, seems just easy to blame Fred!

Excellent suggestion, one person handling a pair of tongs to pick up some food can spread the virus onto successive passengers, who intern handle other serving tongs and so on. As we all know, the disease spreads very quickly. If we go the litigation route, then I can see cruise lines testing every passenger before embarking the ship. We just have to accept that we sometimes cannot educate pork :D

This is what they do on Holland America. The buffet restaurant is open but all food is served for the first two days. I think Fred should adopt this as they seem to get more of these outbreaks than any other cruise line.

This is what they do on Holland America. The buffet restaurant is open but all food is served for the first two days. I think Fred should adopt this as they seem to get more of these outbreaks than any other cruise line.

We were on BW in January. When the outbreak started, the buffets were open but food was served by the staff wearing gloves and hats. Some of the entertainment staff were involved in this, which was much appreciated.

wft

I have also been on cruises where the buffets are served by staff for the first 2 days....

It also seemed strange that anti bacterial hand gels were being used as they have no effect whatsoever on viruses.

I have questioned this for many years. I was once told by a ship's doctor that the main benefit of the gel is that people get fed up with having sticky hands and GO WASH THEM!

Regards, Colin.

I have penned and posted my personal opinions to Fred Olsen so I don't feel the need to go in to war and peace here regarding my many complaints about this cruise (and not all illness related) but I would just answer the comment regarding the "Marquee" which was ALSO used at Christmas by Fred Olsen (and 3 Cunard ships were not in then) and despite many complaints regarding the terminal facilities, the only amendments I can see are the chandeliers! Regarding insanitary, have a think about the FIRST thing you did on entering the marquee - completed a Health Questionnaire using a pen that hundreds had used that day (unless like me you used your own) prior to ANY anti-bac procedures. With regard to "crew" moving ships to be more specific I meant entertainment staff who almost DEFINITELY do rotate ships during a contract. Hopefully everybody pointed out to those involved and staff anybody not adhering to hygiene standards (we did, did you?). As such I'm not labelling blame on Fred Olsen but neither am I allowing them a "blind faith" get out card. For everybody's benefit reasons should be advised and lessons learned.

You asked, did we report incidents that we saw? Yes we did! From the show company serving themselves to the shop girl who just about washed her hands! I just feel that when people say ' crew' it is the lovely Philipino \ Thai crew that come to peoples mind. And after hearing some of the comments on ship, even down to 'should the captain speak better English' ( how much Romanian did they speak) , I feel very protective!

Interesting point. Years ago we were on Black Watch with a similar situation and we resolved then that we would never use the buffet for the first 2 days of a cruise. Have followed that rule ever since - with all the other recommended measures and using our own pen for signing charges. Having served buffets at the start of a cruise might be a small price to pay if it minimises the risk of an outbreak on this scale with its attendant costs, disruption and marred holidays. This was by the way to the untrained eye a more serious outbreak in numbers than previously encountered if the number of vacant seats for dinner is any indication.

Hi,

Really miserable that your trip got curtailed. I've never traveled on Fred but noticed the reports on the balmoral :(

Just thought i'd pop on and say that as other mentioned the alcohol based hand cleaners don't kill viruses.

I purchased Sterizar hand cleaner a few years back (does kill noro from my research and also lasts as a barrier for 6 hours). I noticed the other day boots do a anti viral hand cleaner (don't know if it kills noro as i haven't checked it but seems similar to the sterizar- just to confuse they tend not to put it with the other hand cleaners - it was with the anti cold stuff). Finally there is also one called Gemstar noro.

All should be available in the uk pretty easily.

hope this helps someone.

Edited by chelseauk

Just picked up an article written on this site about Balmoral.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=6355&sr=2&sd=1

So looks like even Fred is admitting it was not norovirus - interesting.

Onboard we were never actually told it was norovirus, either over the tannoy or in writing. One of the letters we received mentioned the gastroenteritis. Then in a new sentence said, 'Norovirus is........and then went on at length about norovirus,' so they did clearly try to imply it and a lot of basic cruise passengers would not seen through that.

Must admit I was suspicious then and the member of staff we spoke to in Southampton port said he had heard that it was not thought to be norovirus.

We went through the port early as we had been given an early disembarkation, before the announcements started, as we had a long journey and would have needed a hotel stop if disembarked late. So there was no one else around when we went out of the port building.

Edited by tring

I don't think it can all be put onto passengers not washing hands or declaring sickness on boarding. We have just returned from 119 nights on Balmoral & it's dosent surprise me that there has been a bad outbreak. We had an outbreak which was contained fairly well but possibly still on board when we docked on 3rd May !! I was not impressed with the hygiene in the restaurants and kept bringing these things to the attention of management but nothing was done. In the Buffett restaurant the tables are laid with mats & then cutlery but this is done whilst some passengers are sitting & having coffee so consequently they are breathing!coughing and touching over the tables. In he dinning rooms leftover cutlery from place settings are just infilled for the next people - they should all be cleared away !! We frequently had dirty cutlery and tablecloths. When theses points were raised we were told that they were not supposed to leave cutlery on the tables and that table clothes were changed frequently. We saw nearrly every day cutlery not being cleared and only tablecloths changed twice but we did see waiters frequently trying to clean marks on tables with a solution!!!! So come on Fred Olsen take note

Interesting that it may have been onboard at the end of the previous cruise!

To be fair, as the infection continued, the self service restaurant tables were not set ahead of people coming to the table with food. The mats were no longer used and the cutlery was delivered at that time wrapped in a serviette.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the anti bacterial hand gels were still the only available option in the vast majority of places. I bent down to read the contents of one hand gel container in the self service restaurant at this time, and the restaurant manager came along and said it was anti bacterial. I said that was what I thought, so it would do absolutely nothing to viruses. He laughed!

My husband had made a comment to a man who was leaving the Gents having just rinsed his hands under the tap and he said casually that he relied on the hand gels! When my husband informed him that they will do absolutely nothing to viruses, he apparently looked amazed and said he would tell the people he was travelling with. In my view it would be a lot better if these gels are either got rid of altogether or replaced with ones that are effective against viruses as well as bacteria.

There was also the time I was told by a member of staff that she had been sick that morning. She did not have a role connected to food, but if a passenger had been ill they would have been asked to stay in their cabin for 48 hours. This was after we received the letter telling us that we were returning to Southampton with Olden and some scenic cruising removed from our itinerary, because of ''the potential to compromise our sanitation methods''. It is possible the member of staff would have normally been confined to her cabin and that those procedures were already compromised. Then again many staff would be in shared cabins - I think it is a cabin to 4 for the basic grade staff.

My overall thoughts are that if we go into a crowded area at home, (perhaps a city centre on a Saturday night), and get ill, what do we think? I have often caught colds etc in those environments, but if I got tummy bug I would not be thinking of what I had touched that everyone else touched. I would be thinking about what I had eaten or drank. The cruise companies generally want to blame norovirus so they can say passengers are the cause and they themselves are not considered liable, but is is a shame if passengers let this have the affect of blaming each other. In my view peoples habits are unlikely to be different onboard than in a home environment.

I think that Fred has a good product, with the less visited ports scenic cruising and quiet places around the ship. I also realise that all cruise companies are much the same in this respect, so I do not wish to have a ''have go at Fred Day'', and nor am I looking to gain financially from this. I really do hope this will be sorted though as I can see the advantages of cruising to some locations and would like to continue doing so for some of my holidays.

Edited by tring

In my view it would be a lot better if these gels are either got rid of altogether or replaced with ones that are effective against viruses as well as bacteria.

I agree, we actually bring our own with us for this reason.

In my view peoples habits are unlikely to be different onboard than in a home environment.

Again I agree, but regrettably there are people who have unsanitary habits at home which then contribute to the spread of problems on board even if they are not themselves the direct original cause.