Bergen Questions Answered

About 12 years ago, I bought a "Dale" brand COTTON knit sweater in traditional pattern. I have loved and worn this item to death. Suggestions for where in Bergen I could get a replacement. I would need 2XL Ladies and I want cotton only (allergic to wool!)

Edited by Bowie MeMe

About 12 years ago, I bought a "Dale" brand COTTON knit sweater in traditional pattern. I have loved and worn this item to death. Suggestions for where in Bergen I could get a replacement. I would need 2XL Ladies and I want cotton only (allergic to wool!)

I love the Dale brand and bought myself a new sweater and some hats while in Norway. Although I may be mistaken, it appears that Dale only makes wool products at this time (I did a search of their website too.) . We did see some other lovely brands while in the country, including some cotton products. Be aware that the prices for Dale were equivalent to, and even higher, than what we've found in the US. Surprisingly, we did find a great sale at the store at Briksdal Glacier and many from our cruise bought sweaters there. I hope you can find what you are looking for.

Hello and thank you for helping us all with information.

Our trip will give us 2 nights in Bergen...arriving on a Sunday (June) and spending the afternoon hopefully on the waterfront area and the funicular/hikes. The next day I will either have the NIN booked to do the 3 hour ferry/bus/train/Flam train then back to Bergen (that wasn't particularly in order) or we will do a similar route via rental car.

Wondered what you thought of renting a car to travel from Bergen to Flam train and doing the trip that way instead of the mass transit bus/train way with NIN? Thank you for any thoughts, concerns or suggestions you might have :).

Hello and thank you for helping us all with information.

Our trip will give us 2 nights in Bergen...arriving on a Sunday (June) and spending the afternoon hopefully on the waterfront area and the funicular/hikes. The next day I will either have the NIN booked to do the 3 hour ferry/bus/train/Flam train then back to Bergen (that wasn't particularly in order) or we will do a similar route via rental car.

Wondered what you thought of renting a car to travel from Bergen to Flam train and doing the trip that way instead of the mass transit bus/train way with NIN? Thank you for any thoughts, concerns or suggestions you might have :).

We just returned from Norway. We did NIN and absolutely loved it. I believe you'll see things from the Flam railroad and the cruise that you wouldn't see by car.

Sue

If I remember accurately, the roads around Flam were small twisty and often completely filled with busses that were way too large to be on the tiny roads. I remember thinking that those bus drivers were among the best miracle makers I had ever seen.:eek: Terrible congestion because of shore excursions all on the same schedule. I don't think that I would want to try and drive myself in a rental car if the situation were what I remember (or if my memory is accurate to place). You might try asking about this rental car option on Trip Advisor where more people might be experienced in driving in the area. I know I have checked to see how many and what size of ships are in port before deciding to drive myself -- or if land based going further from the port to sightsee on the day a ship is in port. Good luck and safe travels.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello there,

We will be in Bergen from 9:00am to 9:00pm and had wanted to do the fjord and flam railway but the two combined will not get us back in time to the ship so we want to just do a boat ride on the Sognefjord. Is there a particular cruise that you recommend for us to see the fjords? I can't seem to find anything specific about this but it may just be me :confused:

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

We will be arriving in Bergen on the overnight Norway in a Nutshell Tour. Our train will arrive around 9:30 pm and we plan to take the midday train back to Oslo the next day, May 14th. I've narrowed my search to these hotels, all of which are available the night of the 13th: Scandic Ormen, Clarion Hotel No 13, and Clarion Oleana. Which hotel do you recommend and which has an easier walk? We won't have luggage.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

What souvenirs do you recommend that we can bring home to keep as a memento. Something that is related to the culture of Norway or Bergen itself.

Thanks

I intended to ask the same question AND what are local adult beverages we might try. Also, pastry or other food item we shouldn't miss to get a feel for the local flavors.

We'll have only one day when Caribbean Princess docks on September 8th this year.

Great thread...thanks for helping us plan our adventure.

Joanie

I intended to ask the same question AND what are local adult beverages we might try. Also, pastry or other food item we shouldn't miss to get a feel for the local flavors.

We'll have only one day when Caribbean Princess docks on September 8th this year.

Great thread...thanks for helping us plan our adventure.

Joanie

I can't speak to the adult beverages, but you should definitely go to the fish market and sample some items there. There is also an organic bakery just a little down the hill from the funicular that sold a type of bread that was local to the area - I'm sorry I forget the name, but you will most likely see signs outside the bakeries advertising the bread.

I can't speak to the adult beverages, but you should definitely go to the fish market and sample some items there. There is also an organic bakery just a little down the hill from the funicular that sold a type of bread that was local to the area - I'm sorry I forget the name, but you will most likely see signs outside the bakeries advertising the bread.

Thanks for the tip about the bakery. We'll check it out when we do our walk about.

I answered my own question about souvenirs by doing a little search. Souvenir finder had some suggestions for just about any location, and I'm going to make some notes on my port guide so I remember what I'm looking for.:confused:

Joanie

Edited by sssteele

We were able to get into Flam using Norway in a Nutshell during three days in Bergen. NinN is a LONG day, but it was worth it since our ship did not sail to Flam on that trip. So that said, plan on a 13-14 hour day door to door.

We found the food to be EXTREMELY expensive. So be prepared.

I did purchase several knitted gifts - and I looked everywhere! What I found is that pricing is pretty even. I ended up buying the bulk of purchases in Bergen. There are several main brands - you can do some research ahead if you want to on sweaters - I knew I wanted a Dale of Norway sweater - and I am really glad that I splurged and purchased one. But I also found great hats, headbands, and scarfs for gifts and for myself - Norlender is a nice brand, as well as Norwear. These are three different price points you could explore. Of course there are many more brands once you get there to choose from. I wear my gifts to myself and it brings back memories! And the gifts for family at Christmas were great to give to loved ones.

Enjoy. It is a beautiful part of our world.

Our ship docks in Bergen in September. We were thinking of taking a fjord cruise that leaves at 10am and is 3.5 hrs long and also taking the funicular.

Do you think we have enough time to do both and be back onboard the ship by 4pm?

Thanks.

Our ship docks in Bergen in September. We were thinking of taking a fjord cruise that leaves at 10am and is 3.5 hrs long and also taking the funicular.

Do you think we have enough time to do both and be back onboard the ship by 4pm?

Thanks.

I think you will be pressed for time. When we were there (granted it was in the summer!), we went to the funicular first thing in the morning and we got on without a line, however, when we got back down, there was a massive line forming. This was around 10 am. Bergen, also, is much bigger than most of the other Norway ports, so it will take you some time to walk back and forth.

There is so much to enjoy in Bergen - the fish market, museums, shops. My suggestion would be to pick either the fjord cruise or the funicular and spend the rest of your time in the town. Personally, I would opt for taking a fjord tour in a smaller town (Stavanger or Geiranger, for instance) and touring Bergen itself.

Thanks.

Marilyn,

We miss you at May 10 Singapore roll call, have you decided to go on it?

• 4 weeks later...

Besides the cruise line's (generally expensive) transfers , can anyone recommend transit from the Port of Bergen to the airport at the end of a cruise? Can one reserve a local taxi the day prior to disembarkation? Or even earlier, by e-mail? We depart early on a Sunday morning.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread UKcruise88. Question. We will be visiting Bergen on a Holland America cruise this summer. We are hesitating between just touring Bergen on our own and taking an excursion from the ship to Hardangerfjord. We are hesitating because it is our first time to Norway and we don't know what is worth seeing first the most, the city or the famous fjord. Furthermore, although I don't know to which extent, our itinerary says that the ship will sail Hardangerfjord the evening before. So perhaps we will have seen enough of it and should instead focus on the city. Thank you and advance for your thoughts.

I was wondering why the person who started this thread hadn't answered for quite some time,and when I looked at one of his links in earlier posts, it seems he has moved back to Uk to work and doesn't seem to be posting on CC at the moment.