Bergen Questions Answered

We will be visiting Bergen on the Viking Star this May. Since the christening of the ship on May 16, we will be in your city for an additional day, for a total of 3 days.we are interested in enjoying the beauty and non-bus load tour side of Bergen. That said, one of the tours offered includes the funicular railway to the summit of Mt. Floyen followed by a walk through the forest.

Wondering if you could provide feedback on this opportunity? Is this a great choice? Is this a strenuous walk on the Tippetue path to the city? Is there something different that you would recommend to enjoy the natural beauty as well as historical offerings of Bergen?

Also, we are interested in enjoying some travels up into fjords......would you have any recommendations that would be top of your list?

Thank you

This is a great thread! I'll be in Bergen 2 nights, pre cruise on a Hurtigruten Midnastol northern lights cruise. Senior lady traveling alone. Looking for a nice, moderately priced hotels. Any suggestions? Or ideas where I should concentrate my search? How cold is it typically in early march? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be in Bergen for one day in June. We are planning on walking through Bryggen and going on the funicular. We have time for one more activity and I can't decide between Ovre Eide farm or Fantoft. This may be our only chance to see a Stave Church and it may also be our only chance to see the Norwegian horses! What would you recommend?

We will be in Bergen for one day in June. We are planning on walking through Bryggen and going on the funicular. We have time for one more activity and I can't decide between Ovre Eide farm or Fantoft. This may be our only chance to see a Stave Church and it may also be our only chance to see the Norwegian horses! What would you recommend?

I've been living in Bergen for 8 weeks now at Fantoft (the suburb). The advantage of going to Fantoft for the stavkirke is it also gives you the opportunity to make a trip to Gamlehaugen, the royal family's house, which is incredibly beautiful although you'll have to check to make sure that the royal family isn't in residence first. The stavkirke is also something that is unique to Bergen.

To be honest very few people seem to visit Ovre Eide farm. Even amongst people who stay in Bergen for an extended period. Infer from that what you will. Perhaps it is your cup of tea.

Just an FYI, here is a blog post about Gamlehaugen and Grieg's house if you are interested.

https://thegurusdaughter.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/the-days-fly-by/

Edited by Miss W

I've been living in Bergen for 8 weeks now at Fantoft (the suburb). The advantage of going to Fantoft for the stavkirke is it also gives you the opportunity to make a trip to Gamlehaugen, the royal family's house, which is incredibly beautiful although you'll have to check to make sure that the royal family isn't in residence first. The stavkirke is also something that is unique to Bergen.

To be honest very few people seem to visit Ovre Eide farm. Even amongst people who stay in Bergen for an extended period. Infer from that what you will. Perhaps it is your cup of tea.

Just an FYI, here is a blog post about Gamlehaugen and Grieg's house if you are interested.

https://thegurusdaughter.wordpress.com/2015/02/04/the-days-fly-by/

Thank you so much for your reply and for the entertaining blog post! I had no idea we were that close to the royal residence. I actually think I figured out a way to fit in Fantoft and Øvre Eide farm! It's going to be tight, but we are going to give it a try. I really want to see Fantoft and my 7-year old son loves horses (hence the farm!). Lesson learned - we need more time in Norway! One day in Bergen simply isn't enough.

UKCruise88: Thanks for starting this thread. We will be on the Serenade of the Sea on May 12, 2015. Do you know where we will dock? Can we walk into town from where we dock?

We are doing Rodne Fjord tour in Stavanger and they have one in Bergen.....do you recommend that we take it.

Any this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Iris

We are due to be in Bergen on Sat 28th March and Wed 6th May from different cruise ships. I have read through this thread and thank you for what information I already have - especially the tip about walking up Floyen, which we will probably do in May.

We have docked in Bergen a couple of times previously and have 'done' Byggen and strolled through the town, but we would like to have a couple of other museums in mind for our March trip and possibly even for May if it is raining. I have looked at the 'Visit Bergen' site and have just become confused by the number of museums in Bergen, although the Maritime Museum is a definate possibility. I have a book which mentions a folk museum and a culture museum, but I cannot find details of those on the net. Do these sound like good places to visit?

Also, I would like to visit Grieg's house, but notice it is out of the city centre - is it possible to get a public bus to there, or would we need to go with a ship's tour group?

Any help would be appreciated,

Barbara

At little different slant to this thread:

I will be taking the 11 day round trip cruise on the Hurtigruten Trollfjord leaving Bergen on May 17, 2015 (a holiday). I fly into Oslo on 5/14, and plan to take the early train to Bergen on 5/16. That will give me the afternoon of 5/16 and most of 5/17 in Bergen.

I am looking for a less expensive place to stay in Bergen (may use AirBnB as I will in Oslo) that is fairly central. Also any restaurant suggestions would be appreciated.

Would like to see the city (your walking tour) and take the funicular up to Mount Floyen and Mount Ulriken. What else should I not miss??

Will openings or schedules be different on the holiday (May 17).

When I return on 5/27 at 1430, I may want to stay overnight in Bergen before heading back to Oslo on 5/28, so may have some time to see things then. I also need a place to stay that night.

Suggestions?

You're in for a treat, cause the national day in Norway is incredible. The city centre in Bergen will be gridlocked, with parades, music and crowds of people (all a little jolly after a champagne breakfast) enjoying the atmosphere and celebrating together! This is a completely non-standard day, so i would plan to just take it all in, and if you have the chance to spend a 'regular' day in Bergen after disembarking Trollfjord, then this could be a better time to walk up the mountains and get a feel for the place!

For places to stay, I've used air bnb myself in other cities, and always been really pleased. Plus, if you find a local who has a spare room on the 16th/17th May then your national holiday experience will be even more authentic.

I have friends and family who have stayed in the Thon chain of hotels (there are three in bergen centre). These are technically 'budget' but they are decent and clean, come with wifi and a VERY good breakfast, and often have good value rates. Definitely worth checking their website if you don't fancy air bnb this time :)

We will be visiting Bergen on the Viking Star this May. Since the christening of the ship on May 16, we will be in your city for an additional day, for a total of 3 days.we are interested in enjoying the beauty and non-bus load tour side of Bergen. That said, one of the tours offered includes the funicular railway to the summit of Mt. Floyen followed by a walk through the forest.

Wondering if you could provide feedback on this opportunity? Is this a great choice? Is this a strenuous walk on the Tippetue path to the city? Is there something different that you would recommend to enjoy the natural beauty as well as historical offerings of Bergen?

Also, we are interested in enjoying some travels up into fjords......would you have any recommendations that would be top of your list?

Thank you

Lucky you! I'm looking forward to seeing Viking Star. It's worth bearing in mind that the 17th May is the national day in Norway (see my reply to the post above), so that day can easily fill itself up.

Taking a walking tour up mt fløyen could be a good option to get some extra information along the way. It's really not a strenuous walk, though (especially if you have plenty of time on your side) so I'd say you might be better off picking up a map from tourist information (by the fish market in the city centre, and only a few hundred metres from where Viking Star is due to dock) and going on your own walking tour at your own pace. Once you get to the top of fløyen there are plenty of beautiful paths to follow, some short, some that would take you all day, so you can see what the weather is doing and how you're feeling at the time :)

With fjord tours, I don't have any personal experience with these. I've heard good things about the Norway in a nutshell tours, but I'm sure there are plenty available. Might be one to drop an email to tourist information about.

Have fun on Viking Star. I'll be at the quayside watching you sail in the evning on the 17th :)

This is a great thread! I'll be in Bergen 2 nights, pre cruise on a Hurtigruten Midnastol northern lights cruise. Senior lady traveling alone. Looking for a nice, moderately priced hotels. Any suggestions? Or ideas where I should concentrate my search? How cold is it typically in early march? Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had friends and family staying in the Thon Hotels in Bergen (it's a chain with three locations in the centre). They are pretty decent, maybe the upper end of budget, but clean and with a really good breakfast buffet included. They would be my go-to personally, but I'm sure there are plenty of other good options.

Weather in early March is likely to still be a bit 'fresh' and certainly variable. I'd say anywhere between 1 or 2 degrees celcius up to around 10, though of course you could be lucky with a lovely warm day. It's always wise to expect rain in Bergen. For packing, I'd say that layers are the trick, and a good light-weight rain jacket would be an essential (that you hopefully won't need) :)

Have a great trip. Midnatsol is a beautiful ship!

Thank you so much for your reply and for the entertaining blog post! I had no idea we were that close to the royal residence. I actually think I figured out a way to fit in Fantoft and Øvre Eide farm! It's going to be tight, but we are going to give it a try. I really want to see Fantoft and my 7-year old son loves horses (hence the farm!). Lesson learned - we need more time in Norway! One day in Bergen simply isn't enough.

I'd certainly back up the advice of Miss W. Heading up to the Fantoft stave church is easy to do with public transport, and it's definitely worth a look. It's great that you've found a way to do both of your must-see things, though :)

UKCruise88: Thanks for starting this thread. We will be on the Serenade of the Sea on May 12, 2015. Do you know where we will dock? Can we walk into town from where we dock?

We are doing Rodne Fjord tour in Stavanger and they have one in Bergen.....do you recommend that we take it.

Any this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Iris

Serenade of the Seas will be docking at Jekteviksterminalen, which isn't right in the city centre. It's part of the main container port area, so unfortunately not as picturesque as a couple of the smaller berths in the centre, but still easily walkable (maybe give yourself 15 mins for this). I think most lines that use this terminal put on a free shuttle bus to town too.

It's always nice to get out on a boat tour to the fjords, so I'd say go for it, but I'd advise leaving a couple of hours spare to walk around the historic waterfront and the fish market in Bergen centre before you have to head back to the ship.

We are due to be in Bergen on Sat 28th March and Wed 6th May from different cruise ships. I have read through this thread and thank you for what information I already have - especially the tip about walking up Floyen, which we will probably do in May.

We have docked in Bergen a couple of times previously and have 'done' Byggen and strolled through the town, but we would like to have a couple of other museums in mind for our March trip and possibly even for May if it is raining. I have looked at the 'Visit Bergen' site and have just become confused by the number of museums in Bergen, although the Maritime Museum is a definate possibility. I have a book which mentions a folk museum and a culture museum, but I cannot find details of those on the net. Do these sound like good places to visit?

Also, I would like to visit Grieg's house, but notice it is out of the city centre - is it possible to get a public bus to there, or would we need to go with a ship's tour group?

Any help would be appreciated,

Barbara

I've never been up to Grieg's house myself, and it's very high up on my to-do list! I know it's possible to get there by public transport, but there is a bit of a walk from the nearest light rail station to the house. There are directions on the website here:

http://griegmuseum.no/en/find-us

The Martime Museum is lovely, and worth a visit. If you're a fan of aft galleries, then the Kode galleries in the city are well worth a visit. There are four main buldings, all arrange around a lake in the centre. They cover hundreds of years, with a decent emphasis on Norwegian and scandinavian artists. One ticket gets you into all four (around NOK 150 I think). It would be easy to fill up serveral days just in the galleries!

Thank you very much for your reply.

I will explore the light rail option further as it could be a pleasant walk to Greig's house from the rail, rather than be cooped up in a tour coach and I would certainly like to go there sometime.

Modern art is not a major interest of ours, but it sounds just the place to hide from bad weather if we need to, so a very good option to have in mind.

Thanks again,

Barbara

UK CRUISERS88: Thank you for all your help. We will be in Bergen on May 12, 2015 and we have two choices of what to do:

1. Take the Fløyenbanen Funicular and then walk around the town or

2. Fjord cruise to Mostraumen with Rodne in Stavenger Sightseeing Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock

We are doing in Stavenger Sightseeing Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock

Which would you recommend.

Thanks for all your help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Iris

UKcruise88: What do you think of this tour? It's 9 to 9 1/2 hours, so really didn't want to do it unless you think it would be really great.

On this tour you will:

• Board a motorcoach for an approximately 90-minute scenic journey past the Bryggen and Hanseatic quarters, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, driving out of the city towards the village of Voss. Voss is beautifully situated by a peaceful lake and is well known as a winter resort.
  • Arrive at the Voss train station and board a train for an approximately 50-minute journey through beautiful green agricultural areas and through a spectacular narrow valley up to the mountain town of Myrdal.
  • At Myrdal station, 2844 feet (867 meters) above sea level, you’ll change trains and depart to the village of Flåm.
  • Travel approximately 50 minutes descending the valley to the village of Flåm in one of the most spectacular scenic railroads in Europe. Flåm is situated on the Sognefjord – it is the longest and deepest fjord in Norway – 126 miles (204 km) long.
  • Arrive at the station in Flåm and after a short break, board the motorcoaches for an approximately 20-minute journey through the road tunnels to Gudvangen for a short photo stop.
  • Continue approximately 90 minutes as the road leads you into the narrow Nærøydalen with its many waterfalls. Next, start to ascend up the steep old road of Stalheimskleiva. After having maneuvered the 13 breathtaking hairpin bends of the Stalheim Canyon, you’ll reach the Stalheim Hotel, where a delicious lunch buffet will be served. The Stalheim Hotel is furnished with many precious antiques, beautiful old furniture and paintings. From the veranda, there is a fabulous view of the Nærøy Valley far below.
  • Conclude your approximately 90-minute break for lunch and continue your full day adventure passing the Oppheim Lake and villages of Oppheim and Vinje. After approximately 30 minutes traveling, arrive at the Tvinde Waterfall where you’ll have the chance to step off the motorcoach for pictures and a walk up to the waterfall.
  • Reboard your motorcoach for a short trip back to Voss, where you’ll have a chance to walk by the lake and church, during a short break.
  • Finally, travel approximately 80 minutes via the town of Dale back to Bergen where amazing day full of iconic views of Norway will end at the pier.

UKcruise88: What do you think of this tour? It's 9 to 9 1/2 hours, so really didn't want to do it unless you think it would be really great.

On this tour you will:

• Board a motorcoach for an approximately 90-minute scenic journey past the Bryggen and Hanseatic quarters, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, driving out of the city towards the village of Voss. Voss is beautifully situated by a peaceful lake and is well known as a winter resort.
  • Arrive at the Voss train station and board a train for an approximately 50-minute journey through beautiful green agricultural areas and through a spectacular narrow valley up to the mountain town of Myrdal.
  • At Myrdal station, 2844 feet (867 meters) above sea level, you’ll change trains and depart to the village of Flåm.
  • Travel approximately 50 minutes descending the valley to the village of Flåm in one of the most spectacular scenic railroads in Europe. Flåm is situated on the Sognefjord – it is the longest and deepest fjord in Norway – 126 miles (204 km) long.
  • Arrive at the station in Flåm and after a short break, board the motorcoaches for an approximately 20-minute journey through the road tunnels to Gudvangen for a short photo stop.
  • Continue approximately 90 minutes as the road leads you into the narrow Nærøydalen with its many waterfalls. Next, start to ascend up the steep old road of Stalheimskleiva. After having maneuvered the 13 breathtaking hairpin bends of the Stalheim Canyon, you’ll reach the Stalheim Hotel, where a delicious lunch buffet will be served. The Stalheim Hotel is furnished with many precious antiques, beautiful old furniture and paintings. From the veranda, there is a fabulous view of the Nærøy Valley far below.
  • Conclude your approximately 90-minute break for lunch and continue your full day adventure passing the Oppheim Lake and villages of Oppheim and Vinje. After approximately 30 minutes traveling, arrive at the Tvinde Waterfall where you’ll have the chance to step off the motorcoach for pictures and a walk up to the waterfall.
  • Reboard your motorcoach for a short trip back to Voss, where you’ll have a chance to walk by the lake and church, during a short break.
  • Finally, travel approximately 80 minutes via the town of Dale back to Bergen where amazing day full of iconic views of Norway will end at the pier.

Are you going on a Disney cruise this summer? I looked at this excursion too and I thought it was great and reasonably priced. I'm not sure kids would enjoy it as it is very long day of regimented travel having to meet train schedules.

Yes, it's thru Disney. It sounds like a great day, but so long.

That's what my DH said. My mom and dad did the Nutshell thing 20 some odd years ago from Bergen and thought it was the most beautiful scenery in Norway. I guess we'll have to go back some other time to take advantage of it. ;)

9 hours is a long day for just one excursion when your just in port for one day.

I spent a lot of time online directly with them and they were just great to interact with. I think it is a total of 8- 8 1/2 hours. I haven't cruised Disney so not sure how their pricing is, but if the time works and the pricing going direct is attractive, you get the amazing Fjord cruise included.

One of the beauties of traveling is that there is almost always something you would like to go back to do! So just some info. We are excited to see this part of the world.