Mobility Scooters allowed on Oceania tenders?

Kingofcool1947

I have a neighbor wanting to go on a cruise with us. She has never cruised, and uses a mobility scooter, and a walker to get around. She's 89, not in great health, and it will probably be her one and only chance to go on a cruise. DW and I have not cruised with Oceania.Does Oceania have ADA staterooms? For 3 adults?

Can she get her scooter on Oceania tenders for shore excursions?

Thank you.

I have a neighbor wanting to go on a cruise with us. She has never cruised, and uses a mobility scooter, and a walker to get around. She's 89, not in great health, and it will probably be her one and only chance to go on a cruise. DW and I have not cruised with Oceania.Does Oceania have ADA staterooms? For 3 adults?

Can she get her scooter on Oceania tenders for shore excursions?

Thank you.

Can't say any think about Oceania. The cruises we have on . Mobility scooters can't be handled easily by the crew.

She would have to be able to walk about 10 steps to get to and from the tender.

I would call Oceania directly and ask them.

I'm inclined to agree with Kamloops. We've seen plenty of scooters on the Oceania ships, especially Marina, but never on a tender. Aside from the difficulty of your friend boarding the tender, there just isn't room to put the scooter. The same would true be for a wheelchair. I've seen people using canes on the tenders -- sometimes I have because of arthritis -- but bigger equipment would be very difficult.

I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to look for a cruise with no tender ports, or very few. You can deal with the scooter where you are docking ... but tenders are very different.

Mura

The scooter is great for getting around on the ship. The biggest problem someone with mobility issues is getting on and off the ship. Only some port terminals have ramps going from the ship down to ground level. In most ports you need to be able to go up/down a flight of stairs. My wife in a wheelchair was able to get crew to help get down the stairs but I'm not sure such help would be available for a scooter.

For any port that requires a tender boat, you need to be able to go down stairs and to be able to walk onto a small boat that may be rocking in choppy water. Assuming she could get herself on the tender boat, I'm not sure they would allow a scooter on - it may depend on the size of the scooter - a smaller 1 that folds up may be allowed but I would check with head office to be sure.

I have only been on the smaller Oceania ships. The accessible cabins (all inside rooms) on them only have room for 2 to sleep.

The scooter is great for getting around on the ship. The biggest problem someone with mobility issues is getting on and off the ship. Only some port terminals have ramps going from the ship down to ground level. In most ports you need to be able to go up/down a flight of stairs. My wife in a wheelchair was able to get crew to help get down the stairs but I'm not sure such help would be available for a scooter.

For any port that requires a tender boat, you need to be able to go down stairs and to be able to walk onto a small boat that may be rocking in choppy water. Assuming she could get herself on the tender boat, I'm not sure they would allow a scooter on - it may depend on the size of the scooter - a smaller 1 that folds up may be allowed but I would check with head office to be sure.

I have only been on the smaller Oceania ships. The accessible cabins (all inside rooms) on them only have room for 2 to sleep.

Thank you!

So, if we brought her wheelchair instead of scooter on the cruise, then it's possible she can get on a tender boat for shore excursion, as long as she can walk down/up to the tender boat? Will tender crew assist with getting her wheel chair on/off the tender boat?

We don't mind carrying the wheelchair to/from tender boat if we have to.

Or maybe she would be better to stay onboard the ship at tender ports?

Well, a wheelchair can be folded up into a smaller shape so I'm guessing that would be okay on the tender. The crew has always been very happy to assist people getting on and off because they know many of us are older and no longer as agile as we once were.

I think I've seen scooters that also could be folded up, but when they can -- not as small a space as a wheelchair can take.

But I reiterate what has been said ... you need to be able to walk on and off the tender, and in rough waters that can be difficult even for people who don't have mobility problems.

Mura

I'm almost certain on our last cruise there was a gentleman in a motorized wheelchair that the workers lifted on and off of the tender. My wife and I commented on it at the time because I don't think we had ever seen that before.

My wife did not try the tenders on O as she could not do the stairs down to the tender platform so I can't say based on experience but the O tenders are very similar to those used on other cruise lines. From what I have seen on other lines, people in a wheelchair will be about the last to board the tender. They get one of the seats near the tender entrance and the chair is folded and lifted onto the tender. This procedure is NOT guaranteed. The crew can based on sea conditions deny boarding for safety concerns.

On sirena now with a smartscoot. Small folding scooter that weighs around 45 pounds and folds up like a stroller. I use for long distances. I can walk and go up and down stairs. My scooter can be taken on tender

Sent from my iPhone using Forums