Two Ships or From The Sublime To The Ridiculous And Back Again

babs135

Embarkation for our westbound crossing on the QM2 on the 15th December was as painless as usual. Ignoring the Pol Acker (!) we went for lunch to the Kings Court and found it looking clean, bright and inviting. Lack of trays was no problem, crew were always on hand to help if needed. The Carinthia Lounge is a huge improvement and we spent many a happy hour here, as did lots of people, especially when the musicians were performing.

The first couple of days were a little too rough for my liking but the remaining days were smooth. They were actually the roughest we have experienced in 5 crossings so can't complain.

We were 2nd sitting in the Britannia on the upper level and for the entire voyage there were always lots of empty chairs, including on our own table. I've never experienced this before and don't know what it was like on the lower level or early sittings. It did make for a slightly stranger atmosphere than usual and wasn't helped by poor service for the first 2 or 3 nights with wrong orders, cold food, etc. Thankfully that did improve and on the whole we found the food to be good.

Dress code was mainly adhered to, although we did see a number of people wandering through the Lounge in their bathrobes as midday!! Eyebrows were definitely raised :D Guest speakers were good.

Disembarkation was slow, but this is not Cunard's fault. Overall we enjoyed the crossing but felt something was missing, although not sure what.

Following some disparaging comments about our next part of the trip which was on the NCL Breakaway I feel it only fair to add comment at this point. She is big and VERY LOUD. Canned and live music everywhere plus 4000 people all talking at the same time. Food was good and plentiful. The buffet was always well stocked. Service in the restaurants was initially good but tailed off as the week went on. Lots of children (we usually sail out of school holidays)but we were never bothered by them, nor did we see any sign of misuse of the Beverage Package (really enjoyed trying different cocktails :D). Dress attire was better than expected and on New Year's Eve we even saw a sprinkling of dinner suits.

Overall, dare I say it; I did enjoy it. There is a need for a lounge that is not attached to a bar so if you want to simply sit and read or talk you can, but otherwise it was fun. There was a rumour that a couple who had been on the QM2 and had not known what to expect, were so appalled by everything that they stayed in the cabin for the whole 7 days.

Re-embarking (is that even a word?) on the QM2 for our trip home was like greeting a long lost friend. Britannia table was on the lower level and always full. The service was much better, the guest speakers were good and the spark that seemed to be missing on the way out was well and truly back. There had been 5 weddings and 1 renewal of vows (+1 wedding on the Breakaway) during the trip, but also, sadly, two deaths and one lady who went missing. We even witnessed one night in the restaurant a proposal - the Britannia collectively held its breath but she said YES to a huge round of applause. Can't imagine what would have happened if she had said no.

Conclusion. We had a great time, met some lovely people and I'm now looking forward to our next cruise/voyage wherever it may take us.

We sail in May on our first cruise, on the QE. You certainly make a good case for choosing Cunard and we are really looking forward to this and many more cruises to come. My OH wants to do the TA to New York, can't decide whether to do one way and spend time in New York, (I have been before but he hasn't), or do the return trip.

We sail in May on our first cruise, on the QE. You certainly make a good case for choosing Cunard and we are really looking forward to this and many more cruises to come. My OH wants to do the TA to New York, can't decide whether to do one way and spend time in New York, (I have been before but he hasn't), or do the return trip.

We have always done a TA with at least 3 nights in New York as we both love the city and in some ways it seems crazy to go all that way and not have a few days on the ground. Done it both ways, although the benefit of flying out, sailing home means you can shop until you drop without the worry of excess baggage.:D

When we booked the trip I favoured the full Caribbean voyage but DH won the day because the trip we took gave us 4 + 1 night in New York before we returned home.

We have always done a TA with at least 3 nights in New York as we both love the city and in some ways it seems crazy to go all that way and not have a few days on the ground. Done it both ways, although the benefit of flying out, sailing home means you can shop until you drop without the worry of excess baggage.:D

When we booked the trip I favoured the full Caribbean voyage but DH won the day because the trip we took gave us 4 + 1 night in New York before we returned home.

Hadn't thought about the luggage situation, good idea :)

Thank you for your review. It makes interesting reading as we will be doing similar only in December 2017, actually 15th as it happens. We have almost 50 cruises under our belts but have never been on Cunard so we are looking forward to experiencing what they have to offer. We have added on the Caribbean voyage and 4 days in New York before returning to Southampton courtesy of Cunard. It's a special birthday for one of us so we are pushing the boat out!!!!! Our ship to the Caribbean is Harmony of the Seas and whilst she is using Brooklyn Cruise Terminal this season, unfortunately for us, December 2017, she has moved to Cape Liberty so we are now looking at alternative ways to get from Brooklyn to Cape Liberty, but I'm sure we will find a way. Thanks again for the review

One thing we liked was the fact that the Breakaway sailed out of Manhattan which is way more interesting than Brooklyn which is where Cunard is based.

The Cunard ships really deserve a more fitting berth.

The QE and QV usually sail out of Manhattan I'm sure. The only reason the QM2 usually uses the Brooklyn terminal is because she's too long for Manhattan.

The QE and QV usually sail out of Manhattan I'm sure. The only reason the QM2 usually uses the Brooklyn terminal is because she's too long for Manhattan.

I've only sailed on the QM2 so assumed that all three used Brooklyn. Thanks for the information.

I could be wrong, but I believe that the QE & QV normally sail out of Red Hook.

One of the things I miss most about docking in Manhattan was the view of the sun rising and lighting all the canyons of the streets as the ship goes up the Hudson.

Edited by MarkBearSF

Which makes me even more sad about no longer docking on the West side piers!

Although we'll miss that sight of the morning sun shining through the street canyons of Manhattan, we're on the starboard side for our RT crossing, so we get the preferred view of Lady Liberty - in the PM of our departure rather at 4:30 AM on our arrival.

Again. Thank you for the correction.

-Mark

Which makes me even more sad about no longer docking on the West side piers!

Although we'll miss that sight of the morning sun shining through the street canyons of Manhattan, we're on the starboard side for our RT crossing, so we get the preferred view of Lady Liberty - in the PM of our departure rather at 4:30 AM on our arrival.

Again. Thank you for the correction.

-Mark[/]

Growing up & living here in NYC sailing from the westside of Manhattan is all I know since the 1960's...Franconia, Bremen, Oceanic, Rotterdam, QE2 & QM2(2x)- it really is spectacular sailing down the Hudson River. I have not even been to the Brooklyn pier yet but I know docking in NYC is more convenient for seeing the city & all it has to offer. And now Manhattan has the High Line on the west side so even if you want to go for a walk its right there - the old rail lines - wonderful. Both times we sailed on QM2 it was from the west side piers - once in the summer & once in the winter. Hopefully Cunard will continue that tradition for many years to come.