Carry-On Luggage Size - British Airways

logan25

I can read what are the British Airways baggage dimension limitations. But I want to know what happens in the real world.

According to their website:

56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) including handles, pockets and wheels.

My question would be how strict are the counter personnel? I have a bag which is labeled 22", but would exceed the height limit by a couple of inches if the handle and wheels are measured with a tape. But slides in under the other dimensions quite comfortably.

You will get a lot more expertise on the Cruise Air board.

How strict personnel are is going to vary by airport, and even employee to employee. I would think if the difference is noticable, you will get checked.

Be aware another key factor is weight. Many international airlines have weight restrictions on carry ons. 8kg is a common limit.

Assume that they'll be strict.

You'll probably need a bag labeled 20", especially if it has four wheels.

DD has a two-wheel IT bag. It measures 22".

A bag without wheels will weigh less than a wheeled bag.

You will get a lot more expertise on the Cruise Air board.

How strict personnel are is going to vary by airport, and even employee to employee. I would think if the difference is noticable, you will get checked.

Be aware another key factor is weight. Many international airlines have weight restrictions on carry ons. 8kg is a common limit.

BA carry-on weight is 23KG(51lbs). So you only have to really bother about the size.

When they do check the measurements, it's with a rigid metal frame that the bag has to slide comfortably into. That frame has NO leeway whatsoever. And if there is no handle on the long side of the bag, it's a devil to get it back out of the frame again! :)

Only my experience, but never had my carry on checked by BA and ours are always on the size limit.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I agree, they don't do it often. I've been checked twice in about twenty years of flying with them. That's how I know how difficult it is to get my (proper-sized) bag back out of that horrid frame! :p

I also checked BA's cabin baggage allowance, but I can't help but think there's an error on their web-site. 23kg is the limit for almost all airlines CHECKED baggage. Could you - because I certainly couldn't - lift a 23 kg bag into an overhead locker?

Just saying!!:)

I also checked BA's cabin baggage allowance, but I can't help but think there's an error on their web-site. 23kg is the limit for almost all airlines CHECKED baggage. Could you - because I certainly couldn't - lift a 23 kg bag into an overhead locker?

Just saying!!:)

Definitely not an error, Been that weight for years. They do say though, that you've got to be able to put it in the overhead lockers yourself. The heaviest I've had is 18kg, not to bad putting it in, but a bit of a struggle trying to get it out when it's busy with everyone else trying to do the same.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I'm actually on a through ticket on American Airlines, but have to recheck my luggage when I land at Heathrow and continue to Barcelona on British Airways.

No way will I have any problem with the weight allowance for my roller bag. Usually comes in around 11kg.